Author Topic: Good Grief  (Read 455 times)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Good Grief
« on: September 16, 2002, 07:14:35 AM »
A few simple facts/observations.

In any PTO set up for any time perioud save maybe early war their will always be these constants( some exceptios of course) no matter how fleshed out the plane set will be:

Japanese planes will be slower than their allied counterparts.

Japanese planes will be less reselent.

Japanese planes will cary less ordance.

Japanese planes will generaly pack less of a punch.

Japanese planes will handel very well compared to their respective advaserys.

Does this mean we cant have good match ups in the PTO balenced one's no it does not, imo in a CT set up their can be great ballence acheaved even on historicaly based set up's, a little help from HTC plane wise would be nice and I fully expect to see more coming from them, Untill we do howeaver we are going to nead to strech the planes we do have on occashion to make this work, and to that end we will nead the understanding and hopefully the suport of the CT comunity.

Ask god( HTC) for more Japanese planes, and be openminded toward historicaly streached plane sets since we can nothing else until the former is acheaved.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Good Grief
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 07:35:35 AM »
Well said Brady.

The Japanese forces will also not benefit from a large experience gap between pilots, and will generally be outnumbered by a large margin in the CT.

That said however, I don't see any play balance or compromise logic in adding a P-51B to the 1943 PTO planeset,  It just makes a bad situation worse for the Japanese.   Seems to me any compromises that need to be made should fortify the Japanese position, not make it worse.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Good Grief
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 07:58:41 AM »
I would tend to agree with that statement, howeaver one could say this, If the Japanese player knows his plane is slower and all the allied ones are faster( for the most part) does it matter that he (the Japanese player) on has 2 plaens to fly as aposed to 6 alleid ones?

I mean arent all blue planes for example( except the wildcat with it's optimastic handeling) prety much the same, faster, blue, better guns, does it matter wheather he is facing just Hellcats or Hellcats and F4U's? if so why? It's not like because the Alies have more planes to chuse from that they have more people playing for them, they simply have more toys on their table. Do we the Japanese player resent that? ( err I do:) )

Personaly If I am in my Tony and I see anything blue I smile, I think easy meat( except wildcat), maybe it's all in the mind set, I prefer the nimble Japanese planes I simply enjoy flying them, I see blue( or Green) and I just get outa the way, unless thers six and I am dead no mater what plane i am in.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Good Grief
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 08:32:47 AM »
I am fond of American planes most of all, however, I see no point in a historical arena with no historical opponents, so I formed a Japanese squad to try to even the numbers in the CT.

The Japanese planes have an elegance all their own, and when you fly against the odds for a while in them, you start to gain a better perspective of what perhaps the Japanese pilots were going through in the later war years.

In most historical setups available in the CT, the Japanese are the underdogs, in terms of plane speed, firepower, durability, and numbers.   Adding ahistorical planes to a setup that give the Allies even MORE of an advantage is just going to turn the PTO setups into a one-sided affair, IMO.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Good Grief
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2002, 11:10:38 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Adding ahistorical planes to a setup that give the Allies even MORE of an advantage is just going to turn the PTO setups into a one-sided affair, IMO.

Yup.  Although the CT dwellers have done themselves proud, so far.  Numbers haven't been nearly as lop-sided as I'd feared they would be.  (heh heh - until somehow the Japanese lose the Nikis).

- oldman

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Good Grief
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 01:06:56 PM »
"Japanese planes will be slower than their allied counterparts. "

I'm tellin' ya, Ki-61's/A6M2's versus F4F's and P-40E's.  A Mid-war setup (without the Marines) in which the Japanese would actually have a speed advantage.

J_A_B