Author Topic: Will Aces High have a padlock view  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Brazos

• Zinc Member
Will Aces High have a padlock view
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 1999, 04:44:00 PM »

No Paddies Please,

Sorry for the disabled, but it's using the computer to do what you should be doing yourself imo. Fixed views provide the best SA. You can keep track of multiple bogies, wingies and the ground all at the same time. No padlock has done that yet. The very idea is to lock onto one target. A bad idea.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 1999, 09:26:00 PM »
Flathead;

Your point is well taken.  I honestly will say that how you describe catching a baseball, is the way it occurs the vast majority of the time.  The case of the centerfielder I was trying to describe was the "ability" to do it.  

Consider that you can run somewhat faster with your head pointed the same direction as your body.  I should have stated that the ball was hit far and high enough so that unless you turned your head and "Ran Like H%ll" you would not have made it to the intecept piont.

I have personally done this, but I won't say I made all the catches.    I will say that I was able to re-acquire the ball before it hit the ground.  

I have also lost the ball in the lights, and ran to where I thought it would re-appear.  I have managed to make catches in that fashion.

I have jumped over ditches and/or small fences and re-acquired the ball.  

IMO, this is just a "Human Animals" instinct, nothing you really can think about it just happens.  Probably something to do with catching dinner for the day.

Thanks for your constructive comments.

Mino

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 1999, 09:35:00 PM »
Kier
Thank you!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 1999, 10:29:00 PM »
What would be a well done Padlock View System (PVS) mean to me?  That's a tough one.

1) If you could not see it, then PVS could not track it.

Small gaps in vision due to cockpit window frames, would only be a factor if the target was hidden for an extend period of time.

2) If it is difficult for you to turn your head and eyes to look at it, then PVS can't track it.

IMO this a MAJOR shortcoming of the Snap View System (SVS).  Some of the views attained via the SVS require a Voga expert to perform.  Considering the Pilot is strapped in,  some of these views REALLY STRETCH realism.

PVS should be limited to targets in the FOV of 100 degrees side to side, and -20 to +80 degrees top to bottom.  Basically the forward hemisphere only, reduced on the upper and lower edges.

4) "Lock" would not be automatic.  It would be broken easier than it is attained.

If a real pilot would keep their padlock, the PVS would keep its lock.  Factors such as target visibility to a real pilot are very important.   Ground clutter, haze, clouds, camoflage, etc...

5) "Lock" would not function like an "Uncaged Heat Seeker".  The pilot must choose his target.

Not just the closest, or greatest threat.

6) There is no automatic re-acquire mode, a broken lock is the same as no lock.

This function would not be altogether Realistic or Un-Realistic.

7) The target must be in the current FOV for the lock to be made.

Pilot must ID the target before locking.  Any target can be locked, friendly or hostile.

8) Conditions effecting the pilot directly effect the effectivness of PVS.

Black/Red Outs, violent manuvers, pilot wounded, laughing attacks etc...

9) In mult-target enviorments, the PVS must not be perfect.

PVS must have the ability to slip to an unchosen target, or unlock due to extreme (simulated) confusion of pilot.  For example, 3 targets of approximate same distant in FOV.

10) The FOV stays in the position of un-locking.

Just as a pilot thinking "Oh toejam Oh toejam, where did that Bandit go!", and staring at empty space.

Now, to re-state my feelings from the beginning of this MASSIVE thread.

Quote:  From a game standpiont HTC considers padlock to be very time comsuming to get it right, and not a so valuable featured to be coded.  :End Quote

I agree with this idea completely nothing has changed.

Mino

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 1999, 10:47:00 PM »
Sundog;

Thanks for not saying "Dead COW".  

Mino