Author Topic: Linksys router  (Read 269 times)

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Linksys router
« on: September 13, 2002, 12:41:20 PM »
Ok,

Looks like I am going to have to put in a router so the wife can do some consulting work.

I have a DSL connect and her employer has provided a
Linksys router mod# BEF SR 41 v 2.

Do I have to do anything special to contiue to Fly the friendly skys?

Offline Morgoth

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
Linksys router
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 03:43:55 PM »
I have the original version of the LinkSys router. The only reason I had to do a firmware upgrade was to get VPN stuff working for my ex-employer. I've never had to open any ports or designate my gamebox as the DMZ for any game, AH included.

If for some reason you have problems, post them here and I (and others no doubt) will help.

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Linksys router
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 04:28:35 PM »
i have a linksys befsr41 and run 3 pc's off of it. I installed it, did the setup thing the instructions walk you through, and then I was up and running. Took about 30 minutes, an hour if you include the time i spent in the 'library' reading up on it :eek:  I didn't have to do anything like free up ports to run the game, it ran fine. I don't see any ping time spikes when the wife is surfing. If you run a server from your pc you could run into a trickier setup but if you are just running pc's like regular flight sim enthusiast families the set up is e-z.

later, bockk

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Linksys router
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 05:18:32 PM »
Linksys=POO

Buy netgear, plug it in it works, Linksys= configure this configure that, restart,well that didnt work, um ok configure this configure that, you get the picture

:)

Offline Morgoth

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
Linksys router
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 05:53:53 PM »
I own 4 and 8 port LinkSys routers. Every box I've put together has a LinkSys nic. No problems from any of them. Plug it in or put it in a slot and forget about it. My favorite kind of hw: trouble free. I've never used NetGear since LinkSys treats me well. 3Com stuff, on the other hand, sucks harder than a overclocked Hoover.

As always, YMMV.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Linksys router
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2002, 09:54:21 PM »
My experience with Netgear is that they are good for being boat anchors. We went through 6 Netgear DS108 8 port 10/100 hubs in 1 month at work. Each one might work for 2 days to a week. We also had a Netgear ISDN router that burned itself up a couple of days ago. It was replaced with a Linksys 4 port router and the Netgear hub was replaced with a Linksys 8 port 10/100 hub. I have had nothing but good experience with Linksys and D-Link with Linksys being the better of the two. HOWEVER; every hardware company that someone recommends has at least two or three horror stories out there that a few people have had to deal with.

It just happens that I have never had a good experience with Netgear and they will not be running on any of my client networks or the one at my office any more.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Linksys router
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2002, 07:37:41 AM »
Personally, I would not use any of the consumer grade routers.  They are just too slow and do not have enough memory for IP tables for my tastes.

I just took an old PC (233Mhz Pentium w/32MB of ram) I had laying around and built my own NAT router using Linux.  The great thing about this configuration, is the security.  You do not do a thing to setup security, by default, it is secure as no ports are open to the Internet unless it is expressly opened by one of the local systems.
Linux will not expose NetBIOS ports at all, unless you expressly set it up to do that.

No one can get to my computers and everything works.  Of course, I am a bit unusual as I do have 7 computers on my local LAN, and they are usually running all the time.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline San

• Copper Member
Linksys router
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2002, 11:26:59 AM »
ygsmilo

I have the same model linksys router. Had a real problem with lost udp switch to tcp, till I set up a port trigger .

To setup port triggering open up your browser and type http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm into the "Address Bar".    

You will be prompted for a username and password.    

By default there is no username, and the password is admin. once you type in the password click OK  

Once you've gotten past the log in you should be at the filters tab.  

Click on the Forwarding tab  

Once the "Forwarding" section opens, click the Port Triggering button.      

Once you've done this, a new window will appear.  Here is an example of how to fill out the ports:    

Application NameTrigger Port RangeIncoming Port Range    

CUSeeMe7648 ~ 76487648 ~ 7648  
 CUSeeMe1503 ~ 15031503 ~ 1503  
 CUSeeMe24032 ~ 2403224032 ~ 24032    

Once you've done this hit Apply, then Continue.  

After the settings have been applied, port triggering is successfully setup!  

I set mine to 2000 to 4000

Sandog
« Last Edit: September 14, 2002, 11:32:36 AM by San »