Author Topic: map observation  (Read 161 times)

Offline loser

• Silver Member
map observation
« on: March 17, 2001, 11:01:00 AM »
my logic may be flawed here, and this may be more of a coincidence than anything else but:

Gangbanging has become the rule in AH.  I have noticed one odd thing though. The team on the bottom of the map is almost ALWAYS getting gangbanged.  At the start of the new tour the rooks were stuck down there and seemed to get banged for a week or so.  Then the bishops went down for their tour in the south.  Got ganged something fierce.

SO what gives? Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?  I mentioned it to one of my teammates as a joke that "it must be easier to fly down the map, with gravity and all."  

now that i think about it though, the way the majority of the fields are set up (particularily the small fields, of which there are tons) they have runways on the north and south.

As such, it is easier to take off south and just cruise in a plane (esp bombers.) let alone the configuration of the vehicle spawn points lending themselves to a southern offensive.

so the problem with being down south? you have 2 other teams that have more convenient access to your poor lil' bases.

-i know this sounds like drug induced dementia, but think about what you have seen since the arrival of the new map.

-----------

[This message has been edited by loser (edited 03-17-2001).]

Sandman_SBM

map observation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
Take a look at the altitudes of the bases. It's all downhill from the north comparatively.

SFMA Map

Speed is life. Altitude is speed.

------------------
cheers,
sand
screamin blue messiahs

[This message has been edited by Sandman_SBM (edited 03-17-2001).]

AKSeaWulfe

map observation
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
I was online as a Bishop yesterday between 10AM and 6PM on and off. Between about 11AM and 4PM we had exactly 2 fields.

But damn it was funner than hell taking off from them to find a bunch of targets. I used the La7 exclusively for this part of the defense....
AKSWulfe has 23 kills and has been killed 1 time in the La-7.

You can gang bang me all you want, you are only giving me kills. <BFG>

-SW

[This message has been edited by AKSeaWulfe (edited 03-17-2001).]

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
map observation
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
loser,

I have noticed the same thing. I agree that most of the carnage finally takes place in the south. Unless numbers are squewed and then numbers seems to prevail. I think there is also another thing at work. The cycle time in flying to strat targets and HQ are shorter in the south then in the North corners. I watched the Rooks getting pounded over and over when they were in south and we talked about this too. Check out the attached map. I concur with you on your observation.

Thunder

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 03-17-2001).]
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
map observation
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
Pongo talked about this to some degree on our squad BBS. I think he expressed concern that the southern country's large fields are more beside the HQ than in front of it, making defense more difficult.

I guess the conselation here is that we will all spend time in the southern country...

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
map observation
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
Call me nuts, but I think there's a psychological aspect to it as well. We read top to bottom, left to right. It's not just with the current map either - it's with all of them... the South East corner is always the likely 'bucket' (barring any huge balance issues). For example, the 'bucket' in the last map was almost always the SE corner. There's something just subcounsciously easier about moving down hill, south, rather than fighting uphill. I honestly do think a fair amount of the decisions when looking at the map and deciding where to up from and fight, has to do with this... whether we realize it or not.

Prolly out to lunch... wouldn't be the first time   ...but that's my take on it.

rudedawg

map observation
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
I won't go into detail but the last 2 terains have been flawed majorly in the design from a tactical point of view.  This is assuming the dessigner wanted things to be even for all 3 countrys from the start.
Look at them the one we have now has base spacings that favor planed attacks agianst the southern country while to short of distance between northern countrys bases to get a good attack going without starting from 2 bases away from the target there are also no bases with elevation in the south.  And if you look at the southeast corner country on the last terain you would see that it is easier for the southwest country and the northern country to start fighting the southeast country than fly all day to attack eachothere

RudeDawg

P.S. i'm not saying i could do better on the terrain anyone who has flown online while i am inthere knows i don't have the patcience for it

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
map observation
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
Every map in AH has its 'bad corners'...its the folks in those countries that can make the difference between being in a hole, and digging out of the hole. 2 Sundays ago, Knits had the first ever in AH 2-resets in a 12 hour period, and we had one of the two reset positions 'in the hole' at the bottom of the map.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-21-2001).]

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
map observation
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
There is no hole worse than the SE corner of that damn Beta map. The first thing enemy ground vehicles came to from their spawn point was your vehicle hangar. I hope that map died a magnetic death.  

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
map observation
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
Hmm Rip if my memory serves me well i believe that was about the time when the Knits outnumbered both other countries when put together, so it only proves that above all numbers rule.
When you were down to 2 bases you musta been lucky that it was time for your main  player base to come online and save yer tulips