Author Topic: Pings, lags & servers...OH MY!  (Read 212 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Pings, lags & servers...OH MY!
« on: September 14, 2002, 11:59:57 AM »
This is NOT a squeak/whine.

Everyone knows that the game suffers, at least for a lot of players, from various connection issues. Several months ago we were told that HTC had purchased a new T3 (?) and that things would vastly improve once the new pipes were installed. Next came the wait as the telco shuffled its feet on the installation.

Now there's a rumour that the servers will be moved to CO. When?

Having attended the last Con, I was somewhat surprized that HTC never addressed the connection issues.

In another thread I read that HTC will be advertising on the Discovery Wings channel. More players will be OTW. Fine by me but what about the base connection issue?

Granted, delay/variance problems are a fact of life in online gaming. I can live with that. At the same time, now and again _my_ connection to the MA is simply unplayable.

Bottom line question, can anyone from HTC suggest when the new "pipes" might be available to the players, and what we might expect after they're in?

Again, not a whine here. I realize HT is fully aware of the problem and is doing everything in his power to resolve it. Just asking for some "heads-up" info.

Thank you,

DmdMax

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
Wow
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 10:14:52 PM »
I got up this morning thinking that I was going to post the same style of message, and here you've gone and done it.

I'm not typing this in anger and I'm not just whining. I'm a reasonable person trying to find a reasonable solution for my inability to stay connected for more than a few minutes since the last update.

I've done everything I can think to insure that the things I can control are not causing the problem.

I've posted information, sent unanswered emails, reformatted hard disk, downloaded and reinstalled complete .exe several times, annoyed my ISP to death, got my fiber provider to install a new ONU and test my connection over and over, searched this board daily for information, changed out almost everything in my setup except for the monitor (hey, maybe I'll buy another monitor...) and yet the disconnects continue.

I can't send a film because there is no film - my PC locks up after the disconnect and I can't even Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it.

I don't know what else to do. I've invested an unbelievable amount of time and money because I really enjoy AH, but it's not fun anymore.

Is there anything else I should do?

I feel the same as you, all I want is a little information (no rumours). But I've never seen anything like that.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Re: Pings, lags & servers...OH MY!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 10:18:14 PM »
Originally posted by DMax

Now there's a rumour that the servers will be moved to CO. When?

If it gets moved anywhere near Denver let me know.  I already have a well-worn whip from encouraging the people at the QWest Cybercenter (we have space there) to get things done right the first time, and the first time done quickly.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2002, 12:52:21 AM »
I believe HT mentioned something about moving a server to St. Louis for a better connection..

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Wow
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2002, 08:20:18 AM »
Originally posted by fullback
I got up this morning thinking that I was going to post the same style of message, and here you've gone and done it.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do :)

DmdMax

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 06:44:57 PM »
Yup...

And here we sit, tapping our feet. I know it's not my connection to my ISP. One problem I have is that from the west coast, I'm routed through qwest.net - the K-Mart of backbone providers. But I'm sure this is a multiple gremlin problem.

Offline VWE001

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 09:34:46 AM »
I believe HT mentioned something about moving a server to St. Louis for a better connection..

I currently get a ping of 16 to the server, the only way I could get a better connection is to be play this on a LAN.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 09:55:05 AM »
Originally posted by VWE001

I currently get a ping of 16 to the server, the only way I could get a better connection is to be play this on a LAN.

A squaddie of mine, who also lives in Dallas, was also find AH unplayable last week. Go figure :(