Author Topic: Wind idea  (Read 158 times)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Wind idea
« on: September 20, 2002, 08:35:17 AM »
I posted this in a Carrier thread in Aircraft/Vehicles but it turned into something I felt could use some visibility here. I know that this topic has been covered many times, this is just an idea that came to me, maybe not original but an idea none the less that I havent read before on these boards so I'm sharing it.

I know we have a wind layer, and I know that wind is configurable so that offline I can give myself an XXknot headwind. Thats great, but the whole arena is affected...

Yes if there is a 15knot wind from the North and the CV is traveling at 15Knots headed South then Relative wind is 0, in which case the CO would just turn the CV North to get a 30knot Relative wind for Takeoffs/Landings.

edit: [IGNORE]So in AcesHigh, on the deck in the MA we have 0 wind, even if the CV is traveling at 15-20knots there seems to be 0 wind over the deck of the CV no matter which direction youre heading. That is what I believe the real issue may be.[/IGNORE] This is the wrong place to be assuming anything. :o

It would be beneficial if wind could be coded in such a way as to have wind "boxes", I know its not perfect but it's much better than the entire MA having a 30knot wind at 14k. You could have say a 5sq. Mile "box" of Northerly wind around a CV from 0-200 feet of say 15knots, ofcourse you'd have to be able to anchor this box to an object to get it to move with the CV(like the radar). You could use these "boxes" around the MA to generate wind at High Alt fields or fields on shoreline or whatever. Different boxes in different locations to give varying wind effects. Or it could be a cylinder like the current radar ranges are, in a lame attempt at recycling current code, after all, the radar range follows a CV. But then moving wind boxes could present a problem if they were to colide.
With the advent of a system like this we would then need the windsock :D That's my real agenda, BRING THE WINDSOCK TO AH!!!!!!!

I don't claim to be an expert in programming and I do not know the limitations/capabilites of the AH engine, this is merely food for thought.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2002, 09:05:09 AM by AcId »

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Wind idea
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 08:41:00 AM »
"So in AcesHigh, on the deck in the MA we have 0 wind, even if the CV is traveling at 15-20knots there seems to be 0 wind over the deck of the CV no matter which direction youre heading."

Sit on the CV, and check your airspeed indicator.  I believe there IS a "wind" equal to the CV's speed.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Wind idea
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 08:42:09 AM »
If thats true, I apologize, I was making an assumption.

Your correct I just checked, you end up with about a 37 mph indication:eek:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2002, 08:47:45 AM by AcId »

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Wind idea
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 08:45:25 AM »
You know what they say when people assume?

You make an bellybutton out of U and ME :)

There is wind on the CV. You will see it on your IAS and TAS gauges.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Wind idea
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 09:07:27 AM »
Originally posted by Midnight
You know what they say when people assume?

You make an bellybutton out of U and ME :)

There is wind on the CV. You will see it on your IAS and TAS gauges.

Silly me, still, it would be nice if we had something like wind boxes to follow a CV or a cloud front.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Wind idea
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2002, 11:34:44 AM »
that explains why you can back some light planes up on the cv :)
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Wind idea
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 11:56:43 AM »
Originally posted by Hawklore
that explains why you can back some light planes up on the cv :)

You can back up an F4UD with 100% fuel, 2 X 1,000lb bombs and a full load of rockets...not just light planes.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain