Author Topic: Giving Muting power to customers.. BIG mistake!!  (Read 2432 times)

AKSeaWulfe

Giving Muting power to customers.. BIG mistake!!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2001, 10:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by NUTTZ:
Sorry , I was there also and i have to set the record straight..
I was the Jug wulfe shot down,, I was on my way back to our field low and slow and happened to cross the path of this fight. There wasn't much i could do but i tried to take a shot, Wulfie roped me, i hit him but he killed me. I was hardly "pissed off", and I don't suck.
NUTTZ

You were Rash?

I had no part in what Hog wrote, he did that on his own behalf. I only said on squad comms I rope-a-doped you, but you hit my rad so I RTBed.

If it means anything, I don't think you suck... I think you're very good.
-SW

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2001, 10:46:00 PM »
I understand the reasons behind the profanity filter -- I don't agree with them, but what the heck.  I would much rather have a profanity filter than lose guys who would reluctantly quit Aces High because their young son likes to watch them fly.

In this instance, we clearly have intervention by a human who elected to shut down a conversation.  I could live with this if the human chose to mute both parties (SeaWulfe and Dingy.)  As several of you noted, channel 1 comms get a bit crazy sometimes.

However, selectively muting one party (not both guys) really sucks.  Someone at HTC owes SeaWulfe an immediate apology for not muting both participants in the disagreement.

You guys may not think this is a big deal, but I assure you it's a big deal to the AKs and SeaWulfe.  I'm going to fly with my buds, whether it's in Aces High or somewhere else.

AKcurly, AK/CO.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2001, 10:47:00 PM »
Hey all,

As wulfie said I was there today and "heard" the exchange. The closest thing that wulfie said to anything derogatory or profanity was "dick". That was after Dingy reacted poorly to a compliment.

I tried to make a funny about it and said he should keep it formal and call Dingy a "richard".

I also told Dingy that the proper response to a compliment was "thanks".

As far as I am concerned the only one with a display of attitude was Dingy. I didn't see anything in Wulfes <S> that deserved the response Dingy gave him. Very poor form.

As to the muting, it was uncalled for and is definitely an abuse of the ability to mute whoever did it including if it was HT. I didn't see HT's callsign so I have no idea if he was there.

Seawulf, if you ever give me a <S> I won't pull the childish response you got from Dingy.

Later Dingy called me over the country chanel after I made a couple of funnies not directed at Dingy and tried to tell what I should or should not take seriously. After seeing the way he had behaved to wulf I just ignored him. It was all his whining deserved.

Dingy, I didn't know you from Adam until this afternoon but I sure hope you don't represent the rest of Rookland.

Mav

PS I am not affiliated with the AK's or the training section. I am just a playing paying customer of AH (and a member of the 13th TAS). I have no idea what squad if any Dingy is with.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

TheWobble

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2001, 10:48:00 PM »

puckfuddle

LOL!  I love that word!

I never knew this existed..but now some things that have happened are starting to make some sense...2 days ago I was taking off in an arado to go somewhere and I asked on team channel "what is alt of cons at A-XX"  i get no reply (as usual) so about a min later I ask again..still nothing..im nearing target and seeing some high dots but cannot tell if they are friendly or not9there were several firendlies in the grid).  So finally i type in a ll caps "WHAT IS THE ALT OF THE CONS AT A-XX!!!? PLEASE!!!"
I get a warning...so yea like thats great..ask for info and get a warning...any who i keep heading to target...im in bombsight view..just as field is coming up i get "CHECK 6"  CRAP! I think i look up and there are 2 190s above me and diving FAST, i dump bombs (hitting nothing) and fire my ratos and just get away.  On the way home i type "thanks for the stellar intel on A-xx"
about 2 seconds later i get muted for 10 min, i logged for the night reconsidering my account.

I would just like to tell whoever was being the amazinhunk great job diddlyING
up a totally fun game with Your roadkill

Mute that you salamander BASTARD

Moose11

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2001, 10:57:00 PM »
Nuttz's new identity is known!

:-)

As for this issue.............

bah. Not worth it.

Time to go be a dweeb and kill some chutes.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2001, 11:20:00 PM »
Wasn't there, didn't hear it, not commenting on it...

I've got a pretty salty tongue, myself, but after hearing a twelve year old on RW one night I have tried to keep RW clean, anyway. I usually tune 1 and 6 out (squelch), unless it is late and there are few users on. The channel 1 buffer is often dull chatter, sometimes insulting, but it can be entertaining.

This game (as any FPS or combat sim) can invoke an emotional roller coaster affect if left unchecked. Just tune this crap out, SW. It isn't worth taking the AK's out of AH. If, you need to save face, throw a blanket party for someone you love!  

Why don't you two go duel it out first?  

------------------
Voss
13th TAS

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
You get muted for saying Jesus Christ?

Hm, my campaign together with my master might be working.

Would be nice to know who in the community have muting powers - sort of like the @ before a nick on irc.

There are some abrasive personalities, and there are disagreements between players. Giving one side muting powers without letting the other know seems a bit unfair.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"You filthy piece of distended rectum! DIE allierte schweinhund!"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 03-18-2001).]

Offline DoKtor GonZo

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com/DoK/
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2001, 11:50:00 PM »
banana,

What I'm getting at isn't going to be picked up by a filter. I've heard on several occasions where people have been telling racial jokes and making derogitory remarks about various ethnic groups and/or religions.

I would pose the question of why these remarks are acceptable, but certain words from a list (reminds me of a George Carlin joke, eh?) are not.

Of course, this will all spiral into a quagmire because very often the most self-righteous people who speak out against "bad language" are also the most intollerant of anyone not of their genetic origin.

So they get their way at everyone else's expense.

Let's just nuke the planet from space. It's the only way to be sure.

-DoK

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
Not saying anything about Wulfie and Dingy, IMO 2 sillies ranting on the playground. But the idea of having someone to mute players who get out of line is good. Few care to hear players mouth off with vulgar and racial speach, but this also can apply to players arguing to the point where others get sick of hearing it. Other games have such a thing... a filter only goes so far. Example: you can't filter "dick" since it's a name.

But people entrusted with this power have to be well chosen, informed of what type of language to respond to, and required to fill out a report on all actions. If a player complains, HTC can check the report and, if the player is found to have been treated unfairly, the muter can be held responsible.

For those who understandably do not like this type of thing, that's tough. You'll find similar setups everywhere. The point is that the game is the property of the business offering it, and this business has the right to take steps to keep the game less than anrchy. It's understandable that players curse with the high emotion of this game, but it takes an effort to type a curse rather than say it, so players can be expected to use some restraint.

grizzly

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
Hiyas DoK  =o)

grizzly

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2001, 12:18:00 AM »
wow,what a great thread, i better post quick before it gets locked.  I have been muted before without deserving it(IMO) by htc staff, and i have muted myself and deserved it.  

But having some tard on a ego trip dealing out mutes not based on any set criteria is fudged, especially when it is only handed out to one side.

i wouldnt have a problem with this system (as was said above) as long as it wasnt done annonymousely.  Just insert ...by <callsign> after "you have been muted." That way you can go over said chicken dick's head if you feel you have been treated unfairly.

[This message has been edited by loser (edited 03-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by loser (edited 03-19-2001).]

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2001, 12:23:00 AM »
The rise of the TOScop.

Sad. I always thought that one of HTC's brighter points was they learnt from other games' mistakes, not repeated them.

Offline TRiMmer

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2001, 12:59:00 AM »
Hmm, kinda disturbing really...I was there for the whole thing as well.  I have flown against and with both Dingy and SW.  I think alot of both of them, but they can work out their problem amongst themselves; I am sure of that...I am not sure about how and why SW was muted, and whether or not having someone anonymous with that power is a good thing.  I think that he was muted without cause...but that is my opinion, and we all have at least one...

Cyas Up,

trm

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2001, 01:05:00 AM »
This goes again into this "It's not me who caused it"...
What are you all going to do? blame your goverment for this incident?

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2001, 02:03:00 AM »
I know only 2 guys out of HTC I would have no problem with having this power because they would never have an ego problem. I know dozens of so-called good AH members that would use to their own advantage because they have a personal agenda and a BIG ego.

Personally I think that only HTC should have this power. SW is right, this is a VERY poor implementation in AH.

Kinda reminds me the times when I was 10, on the school, when the Teacher left his "favorite" boy as "guard" of the class.

Anything that was said that the "guard" boy didnt like (Regardless if it was good or bad for the class) was an immediate motive to "report" to the teacher the bad behavior of the one who said it.
And the "guard" used this advantage to take revenge of some personal problems against someone else in the class. With this power in AH we will see a very similar problem.

This only leads to hate.

IMNSHO

[This message has been edited by R4M (edited 03-19-2001).]