Author Topic: A cool follow up-story (re: 11SEP01)  (Read 135 times)

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
A cool follow up-story (re: 11SEP01)
« on: September 20, 2002, 05:58:17 PM »
I think I may have posted it on AGW, but I'm pretty sure I posted it here. I don't read AGW anymore, can't post there anyways (no reg. allowed I guess and my old AGW ID has a now defunct email address).

Here's a short recap of the origional story I posted a link to:

===

'From Kenya With Love'

Anyone who think the world hates America should read this wonderful Los Angeles Times report from Enoosaen, Kenya, where Masai villagers, in a show of solidarity with America, "decided to give their most prized possessions, what Masai regard as the highest expression of sympathy: cattle."

About 500 people, many bedecked in elaborate beadwork jewelry, gathered on the rolling East African savanna for the ceremony. Masai women sang mournful songs. Young warriors, some carrying spears, leapt into the air. And village elders presented to the United States a herd of 14 cows.

"They say Americans are wealthy, and indeed we are in many ways," said acting U.S. Ambassador to Kenya William Brencick, who gratefully accepted the cattle. "But when we count the value of these cows and . . . add the value of the great spirits that gave them, we can say without doubt that you seem richer still."

After a local resident who is a premed student at Stanford brought word of the Sept. 11 attacks, the Times reports, "Osama Bin Laden became a household word. People who are unpopular in the village are now known simply as Osamas. 'We don't have anyone as cruel as him,' said James Ngodia, 44. "This man is a world enemy. If he comes to Masailand, we will surely kill him with our spears and arrows.' "

===

Well here's a cool follow-up story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41808-2002Sep19.html

Enjoy.

Mike/wulfie
« Last Edit: September 20, 2002, 06:00:54 PM by wulfie »