Author Topic: One down and one to go  (Read 217 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
One down and one to go
« on: September 20, 2002, 03:35:01 PM »
On Sept. 19th I finished the requirements for the airframe certification. That means I have only to complete the powerplant portion and receive my full A&P. I have the "A" now :D It's been a tough 9 months knocking down 61 credit hours. Only 6 months and 34 more hours left.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 04:03:20 PM »
WTG!!!! :)

You'll get "P" by the first of next year. :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
One down and one to go
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 05:32:31 PM »
Congratulations Maverick!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline texter

• Copper Member
Re: One down and one to go
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 05:35:09 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
On Sept. 19th I finished the requirements for the airframe certification.  

WTG Mav!

Tex

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
One down and one to go
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 05:48:26 PM »

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2002, 05:51:50 PM »
Welcome to the community.  :)

Let me share something:

Be wary of airplane owners, they are by nature cheap tards that are plenty willing to let you work on their aircraft free.

Always make sure when you do anything on an aircraft, you can explain why it was legal to the FAA, you just might have to.

Never let a pilot tell you what to fix on an aircraft, make them just tell you what the symptoms are.

Mechanics love donuts more than cops do.

Dont ever use a Craftsman Phillips screwdriver on an aircraft, they suck.  Buy Apex brand #2 bits and use them in a changable bit screwdriver.

Ask alot of questions if you havent done something before, learn from others and dont repeat their mistakes.

Chicks always go for the pilot, so around chicks, pretend you are really the pilot.

Propellers kill. Dont walk into them.

Never go on a test flight.  :)

Congrats on the A, good luck on the P.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 05:54:49 PM »
Gratz Mav!  Guess I could give ya call when I finally get around to buyin me a bird (about 20yr from now, barring winning the lotto :D )

Pretty sound lookin list of advice from Dago there, ya might wanna print it out, frame it, and hang it on yer wall :D

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2002, 11:47:51 PM »
Dago and Cave,

ahem, I AM an aircraft owner and pilot!  :D

Most of what pertains I already knew.  My Mechanic told me! :)
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2002, 10:29:54 PM »
ahem, I AM an aircraft owner and pilot!  

oh noooooooo, a cheap tard in our midst!  :)

I am also a pilot, but havent felt the need to own an aircraft yet, still enough guys around willing to let me fly their aircraft if I help keep them in the air.  Today I fixed a Bamboo Bomber.  I also get to fly free a Piper Apache, a C172, N3N.
They even cover my insurance, I just buy my own gas. Works out pretty well for me, and I have to turn guys away offering the same kinda deal.

good luck on your P, after getting the A, the P is easy.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2002, 10:55:35 PM »
Great Job

_____________________________ _____

Oh propellers kill you if you walk into them?

Darn   :( I was hoping to walk through one.

Ruins all of my hope  :D

:rolleyes:
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2002, 10:55:03 AM »
WTG Mav...not bad for an old fart:)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2002, 12:42:22 PM »
Darn  I was hoping to walk through one.

Its a sad but very real fact that each year many people will walk into propellers and die. Many more will be seriously maimed.  The somewhat surprising thing about this is many of those struck are people who work around aircraft all the time.  

Everyone who has the chance to be around running aircraft needs to be reminded of this once in a while, less complacency sets in.

dago

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2002, 12:48:47 PM »
Unfortunately, complacency and stupidity are terminal conditions. The sentence is automatic and is carried out without regard to the intentions of the victim.

Much about aircraft is very unforgiving. That is one of the things that bind me to them. I love the idea that once in the plane I am truly on my own and only my skills will insure the safe end of every flight. It is self reliance taken to the highest extreme. Another reason why I have the handle I do. :)

Dago, I have a PA24-180 Comanche. Missey and I have been together for almost 10 years. (Missey short for my mistress) My wife  understands and is willing to share, or is it the other way. :D

I can't wait to get finished and start work, then I can afford to do some traveling. I have been out of work since 9/11 happened and figured I'd better get this done in the mean time.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
One down and one to go
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2002, 01:23:01 PM »
I can't wait to get finished and start work

I can understand that!  When I finished college with a new A&P in pocket I was so poor, I couldn't even pay attention.

The good new is if you have an A&P, you can normally find work.  Bad news is that a decent job might not be where you live.  Airlines have laid off alot of mechanics, but they aren't the competition you would think.  Alot of companies shy away from mechanics just waiting for a call back.

UPS pays very well, but works its guys pretty hard from what I have heard.

Commuters dont pay as well, corporate work is good, but unstable too often.

Work in an FBO, you have the best chance of really enjoying what you are doing, but dont expect great pay or benefits.

Alot of A&Ps get recruited to other technical fields and often do quite well outside aviation.

Good luck, if ya have any questions I might be able to help ya with feel free to shoot me a note.

dago