Author Topic: Gun behavior  (Read 319 times)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Gun behavior
« on: September 23, 2002, 04:50:32 AM »
I'm playing this game for a while now, but I am still learning and refining my way of flying as well.

My problem at the moment is that I have problems with hitting anything with German cannon (MG151's). I'm used to 4 x 0.50's in the FM-2 and  I have no problem whatsoever in getting good hits with these even at insane deflection in a knife fight.

With Hispanos it's harder, but at least I manage to hit something every once and a while and with hispanos this is usually enough for a kill. Even with 0.303's I had kills, albeit at shorter distances.

But in a Fw 190A-5 or D-9 or a Macchi 205, I can't hit a thing!
Do the damn bulluts drop straight to the ground if you fire them? Or should I set convergence to 150m? Ballistics seem way different.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Gun behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 05:07:55 AM »
The ballistics on the mg151 kinda suck.  Remember though, that gun convergance goes vertical as well as horizontal.  On the 190, I keep my convergance set at about 450.  With that setting the cannons are good between 300-500 and point blank.

There is no gun in the game that comes close to the balistics of the .50 M2 MG round the american planes use.  A high firing rate, lots of lead, and a flat trajectory make them the best for landing hits in difficult situations.  The .50 trajectory is almost perfectly flat out to the maximum range of 1.2k or so.

The hispano is closest to the .50 than it is to most cannons in terms of trajectory, though it lacks the firing rate of the .50, a couple of hits will guarentee a kill.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Gun behavior
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 05:19:41 AM »
Thanks, but 450 IS the convergence I arrived at... Guess I have to practise a bit more. But 4 deaths without hitting anything in  FW-190A5 sucks. High speed stalls too ;-)

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
Gun behavior
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 05:58:03 AM »
You can also fly offline, climb to an alt ya like, but be sure to head due N, then in the radio buffer type .target 450 if that is your convergence, then u can watch what your guns are doing and adjust your site accordingly in MSPaint or whatever you have, such as photoshop or Paint Shop pro etc. there you can adjust your pipper up or down or left or right etc, then go back to the offline and ck your adjustments.

Also try adjusting your pitch performance in setup joystick, give it a more log type of curve and maybe adj your damping a bit if your nose is bouncing around a lot from joystick input.

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
Gun behavior
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 05:12:00 PM »
A good way to check performance on different guns...

Go offline and type .target 500

A target will apear at the perscribed distance.  Example, if you type .target 250 target will be at 250.

Its a great way to check ballistics.

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
Gun behavior
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 05:14:52 PM »
umm....guess I should have read the other replys first. :(

Oh well.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Gun behavior
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 05:42:05 PM »
There is no gun in the game that comes close to the balistics of the .50 M2 MG round the american planes use. A high firing rate, lots of lead, and a flat trajectory make them the best for landing hits in difficult situations. The .50 trajectory is almost perfectly flat out to the maximum range of 1.2k or so.

I actually the Soviet UBS .50 cals on the Yaks have higher muzzle velocity and rate of fire for a similar bullet mass but you don't get 6 of 'em with 1500 rounds of ammunition and they have to be synchronized tof ire thru' the prop :)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Gun behavior
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2002, 06:40:09 PM »
I have set my convergence to correspond to the actual convergences as shown in the attached image.

Pay prticular attention to the distances at which the roulnds cross the sight line.

F.

(thanks to http://www.vermin.net for image)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Gun behavior
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 04:11:09 AM »
Old AH joke is that the Allied guns have laser kind  of ballistic and Axis guns howitzer kind of ballistic...

Who knows :rolleyes:

:)