Author Topic: Broadband question  (Read 734 times)

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Broadband question
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2002, 09:57:36 PM »
capt. apathy - what kind of DSL modem & who is your phone company?

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Broadband question
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2002, 11:00:49 PM »
Your raw speed was 1812124.31 bits per second.

i guess thats good :)

1.8 mb/sec
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Broadband question
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2002, 11:22:40 PM »
I had the intel 2200, provided by qwest. it didn't suport win xp. so I barely kept it going using nt drivers. then they had a update patch for the drivers, and it worked for awhile. then I had to do a format.  thats where the nightmare began.  they have a patch to update your drivers after upgrading to xp, but no stand alone drivers.  after formating xp wouldn't let me load the origanal drivers because they where not compatable, and you can't patch what you can't get to load.  

I messed with it for a full day loading, and patching and trying to work through the errors.  unfortuanatly I don't remember exactly what I did to get it working (with some error msgs every time I reboot) and the setting kinda degrade over time. every month or so I'd have to delete and remake the conection.  anyway last week it wouldn't work even after I did the usual delete and remake. so I called them up and it just got worse.

during this prosses qwest transfers all account to MSN (much better tech suport, steadier conection, less time on hold when you need to talk to them) who didn't provide the modem.  so MSN says they can get me the new modem I just have to go through all these hoops first.

on the bright side when I called up to whine again about how long will this take they gave me a $49 credit on my account for the hassle.

I've had this msn account for almost a year, and I've been very happy with it. so far all my problems have been with this modem and it's issues with xp.  and of the 7-8 times i've called I've only had 1 time where the tech didn't seem to be sure of what they where doing and find a fix right away.

btw phone company is qwest :(

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Broadband question
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2002, 03:57:19 AM »
i *think* there are WinXP drivers for intel 3200 DSL modem that work w/ 2200 as well. if you have a network card you could also use a Cisco 678 [external] DSL modem (quality product if you turn off the internal web server) if you can get one (~$300 from kwest, possibly cheap on the 'net especially Ebay). 2200 worked on your XP system before - there is no reason why it should not work now.  the 4+ week wait for the M$N modem is outrageous - there is now reason for it other than kwest & M$N are using a burectaric kludge that should have been fixed a year ago, and would have been if MSN had more than 4 people in their sysadmin team. you can switch to a local ISP for DSL ISP service quicker (it's available, but quest doesn't provide the pertinent info - M$N considers this "marketing").
MSN and QVVest outsource their tech support to the same people, the top tier of which is in Beaverton.
possibly more (maybe also better) advice @ dslreports.com BB.
good luck

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
Broadband question
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2002, 04:45:49 AM »
Anyone got any pointers for setting up an ADSL modem for optimum online gaming performance?

I have the Alcatel Speedtouch USB. Yes, it's a POS.

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Broadband question
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2002, 08:05:16 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
Anyone got any pointers for setting up an ADSL modem for optimum online gaming performance?

I have the Alcatel Speedtouch USB. Yes, it's a POS.

#1 get rid of that USB modem chite and get one that goes thru Network Card
#2 Dont have a Network Card?  Get off your cheap bellybutton and go buy one for $10 ;)

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Broadband question
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2002, 01:13:40 AM »
anyone know the latency difference between USB & ethernet?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Broadband question
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2002, 09:15:05 AM »
I'm guessing here. but wouldn't that depend on how much other usb stuff you had going?

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Broadband question
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2002, 09:42:24 AM »
actually apathy you are somewhat  correct.  USB is intended for devices running at 8 mb/s, it does have a maximum throughput of 12mb/s.  But adding more devices clogs the system bus.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Broadband question
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2002, 05:03:20 AM »
Unfortunately, British Telecom sold me this thing for £85 including 2 filters (so that's $120?). I already have an ethernet card (used it when I had a cable modem in my other place).

Does anyone have any recommendations for ethernet ADSL modems?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.