Author Topic: Suggestion: "Training Manual"  (Read 340 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Suggestion: "Training Manual"
« on: September 30, 2002, 08:57:09 PM »
I've had thought about this for a long time and I am sure many others have thought the same in times before me. How about some of the respected trainers and pilots get together to slap up a "Standard AH Training Manual"?

In my opinion, the skill of teaching is itself something that needs to be taught. While I am not a regular in the TA, many times I have tried to help out newbies, mostly my own countrymen of Asia who rarely have access to the material on this BBS due to lack of English skills.

Most of the times, during those sort of training sessions, all I usually did was try to stick with the newbies' direct needs... "how do I do this?" "how do I do that?" "push this key" "try this icon/button"... etc etc.

When the questions the newbie has remains within simple boundaries of managing the AH game itself, or respective key functions for the planes, the "training" is relatively simple. However, when the question goes deeper into "how do I fight?" or "how can I manage my plane better", I have found out that because I don't know what to emphasize on, what to teach first, which steps and levels the newbie should take and accomplish, the training mostly turns out lessons of prmitive "trial and error" - I shoot them down, explain why I could shoot them down, they up again, and then, they get shot down again.

Ofcourse, this is a step every newbie goes through, and with some training, direct results from trial and error type of experience, and reference of the HTC BBS,  each newbie learns "to fly and to fight" respectively.

However, not everyone can come here and enjoy the often wonderful contents of the BBS because many don't speak English... and it is not always I can stick around and help out people from my country.

There are others who can help out, but honestly, how many of you can efficiently teach Koreans, or Japanese who don't speak English?

Therefore, usually Koreans teach Koreans and Japanese teach Japanese. Those few who have first placed themselves in these boards due to the fact that one understands English(like Mitsu or maybe someone like me.. :D though I'm no way near his skill level..), are the ones who learn the latest implementations and functions, trends of AH and then, in turn teach them to their own countrymen.

Perhaps this sort of inefficiency, or problems each individual "trainer-wannabe" would meet would be solved if there was a "Standard Training Manual" made by more experienced trainers. Ofcourse, by this, I don't mean something that would be like real life training material or pilot handbooks Airforce cadets would get to read - to ask of this would be simply unacceptable!

However, if there was a manual what the trainers should teach the newbies, the basic steps such as  ie) First session - train key functions and view settings.. Second session - train for simple take-off ... Third session - train for simple turns and landings... , it would really help those who aren't qualified for a regular trainer status to teach newbies in an efficient and systematic understanding of AH. Maybe something like a little "Handbook for the Trainers".

It would require some very hard work, and to ask the trainers of this favor and be refused, I would understand if it were so. But if the able trainers cannot commit themselves to a "Training Manual", I do hope at least there were more consecutive posts - weekly.. maybe monthly posts? - on how the trainers should train the newbies.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 12:21:11 AM »
I agree kweassa, a basic manual would be a good thing.
To add to it....what do you all think of setting up a 'Flight Accademy" that has a set schedule and set times that basically follows a plan of  Learn the game>learn to fly>learn to stay alive>learn to kill

Week 1 : The very basics ( views, controls, keymapping, clipboard functions, dot commands, download the help file, using the radio, tuning VOX etc)  in the TA  Saturday afternoon 2 pm. [just an example, times would have to be figured out to benefit the most people]

Week 2 : Basic flight, take-offs, landings, and basic navigation/use of the clipboard

Week 3: Intermediate flight.....the use of flaps in non combat situations, trimming your aircraft, engine management , fuel management/ weight distribution, formation flight, crossed control braking methods etc.

Week 4: An introduction to basic ACM and  air to air gunnery, situational awareness and revision of first three weeks.

Week 5: CV Ops [T/Os & Traps] and naval gunnery [both anti-air and bombardment]

Week 6: Advanced flight/ ACM   The use of flaps in combat situations, throttle control/E management, out of plane manouvers, engaging multiple cons, fighting from a disadvantage etc.

My idea would be to have differant intsructors/trainers/veterans for differant weeks, and trying to get guys to teach what they are good at.
perhaps we could have special 'Guest Trainers' for advanced stuff, for instance  This week, Advanced Combat Manouvers in the P47 series, with Ammo and Frenchy, next week Airborne Samurai, IJN an IJA aircraft and tactics, guest starring Mitsu .
Or maybe.......How to make your 190 kick arse, and your leather undies itch less, with Wilbuz and Saw. ;)

How to make that Hawg really Grunt, with Lazs.

Yakety Yak, dont come back, guest starring the lads from 9 GIAP VVS.

Roping-the-Dope with Artlaws.       >

HO the bastadges, with special appearances by USARMY and the Shoot 'Em in the Face lads.

lol....well, ok, maybe I might be getting carried away with the whole thing a bit there, but you get the idea.
There are people here who are undoubtable excellant in their respective rides/styles, I propose we harness that knowledge, and put it to good use, helping those of us who arent so crash hot, and by doing so in a semi-formal, organised 'class', we may even get around the mayhem factor that spoils the TA for many.

Anyway, just a rough idea, what do you guys reckon?

PS.....I havent spoken to any of the above mentioned pilots/squads about this,and I hope none of them mind me using their name(s) purely as an example.

PPS...more than happy to volunteer my services as trainer for the really basic stuff, but the advanced flight and ACM suff is barely within my understanding, and way outside my ability to teach others.

Blue

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 10:32:52 AM »
BlueDog,

Training Academy is a pretty good idea.  Some of us have work schedules that might conflict with Academy timetable.

How about having these old hands hosting a forum on the BBS each week, on a rotating schedule, dealing with their areas of expertise, complete with question and answer sessions, flight maneuver diagrams, etc.?  Well drawn diagrams with commentary would probably do more to help us newbies than anything else.  then Kweassa and the other pilots from Korea or Japan or wherever could simply translate the commentary.

What do you think?

Regards, Shuckins

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 11:09:22 AM »
a couple of quick comments:

1) the bible's already been written...every "serious" air combat simmer should have a copy of Shaws book.

2) there is a wealth of great information out on the net

3) It's already been done back in AW and 90% of what was included is still valid (except for purely plane to plane tactics by type)

4) It's been a long time since I was a trainer in the TA but all in all the system worked pretty well then. With Drex and company I can't see it being any worse...and it's probably better. The key is someone taking a moment to explain WHY your plane is now parts and then explore the "students" thoughts and assumptions that led to the "no brainer". This occurs at every level but its much tougher for a 'baby seal" to get up on the bottom rung of the ladder.

It's not a bad idea by any means, just one thats already being done a dozen different ways. Look at mathmans site and others before you reinvent the wheel.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2002, 11:18:31 AM »
IMO a lot of it has to be done hands on. No 2 people have the same problem that can be solved in the same way. Each one needs that individual touch, to help them over that first hump. After that its pretty much up to them to pick up the rest as best they can.

The real key to learning to fly & fight well IMO is reading all the stuff thats out there. There is TONS of it from several different sims that pretty much all applies. Took me 2 years of hard reading combined with daily practise before I started flying well enough to hold my own in a fight.

As to the language problem, thats a whole nother story. Sure wish we had a Spanish speaking trainer as well as one who could speak Japanese/Korean.

What I do when I run into the language problem is run to main and ask for help. (Thanks Zamo, and many others)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2002, 01:17:51 PM »
or do it the way i had to

f* up till you get it right

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2002, 01:39:00 PM »
Hammer's done a great deal of work along these lines at his web site:  http://www.netaces.org.

From navigating the clipboard and setting views to ACM and level bombing, it's all there.

If the AK's can design an arena :mad: , NetAces.Org can be used as a resource.

I wouldn't want to put words into Hammer's mouth (which wouldn't be sanitary), but I'm sure he'd agree to editorial "suggestions" from AH.

Are you familiar with his work?  Would it meet the need for newbies and not-so-newbies?

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline BTHayze

• Zinc Member
Yah
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 09:30:27 AM »
:D  I actually like the idea of this "Flight Academy". I am in the TA... alot. I am actually in the probably 73.674% more than the MA. Simple reason: It's no fun unless I got a squad member to fly with :(

So anyhow, if and when you guys get this thing together..gimme a Hoot.

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 02:25:02 PM »
As a newbee pilot who has been shot down more times than he will ever admit - I AGREE. I got my first kill yesterday and it was after reading information on a good site. So for all the newbees here it is : http://www.worldaccessnet.com/%7Edelta6/index.htm

Later is Greater as they say

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 07:11:22 PM »
Originally posted by Gooss
I wouldn't want to put words into Hammer's mouth (which wouldn't be sanitary), but I'm sure he'd agree to editorial "suggestions" from AH.

Absolutely.  I have like 500mb of server space available.  I created netaces in the hopes it would become what my AW site had been - a respository of information.  I've already offered to host Soda's plane info (he seemed to indicate he might have to move it) and am willing to do the same for other useful pages.  

As for direct editorial suggestions, I'm of the opinion that the more ideas presented, the better.  Unless something is factually wrong, I'm much more likely to post opposing or divergent views on the same subject.

Anybody with a write-up or an idea for one who is looking for a place to put it, there is a page under the "General Information" heading on my site about making contributions (write-ups that is).  I am also willing to discuss hosting a Training Academy page and even an unofficial trainers roster/contact page (I've been thinking about that for some time) since GhostH seems to be the only "official" trainer around these days.

Any interest?  hammer@netaces.org

HAMMER
netAces.org - Info, Tactics, and More!

=GHOSTS=....You Will Believe!

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2002, 07:22:31 PM »
hiyas Hammer

i recommend ur page to every newbie i can catch :-)

u really did an outstanding work with that.
But please do me a favour ad the bombing link. I founf i no where in the navigation
Freeze