Author Topic: And people think _'s are bad?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
And people think _'s are bad?
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2002, 11:46:59 AM »
There seems to be an influx of really terrible names lately. Just last night I saw  "pnus" and a few others.. time for spring cleaning.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2002, 11:51:38 AM »
Yeah, well... "pnus" has been around for years.. even back in WB when HT ran that game... so I guess what's offensive to some others don't mind.

On a side note... please sweet jebus, let this thread die!!

-SW

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2002, 12:03:40 PM »
So.... puns on genitalia are accepted but historical fiction squads/names aren't.  Whats the difference if someone wants to see you killed by a johnson in the buffer verses something evil in the world.. both are still rude IMHO.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2002, 12:23:59 PM »
I never sided with either side on this issue Sun...

My opinion? I don't give a rat's bellybutton what someone has as a handle, they still get shot down the same.

It's what they type on global/country channel that matters, because then everyone has to deal with the rantings.
-SW

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2002, 01:22:16 PM »
funny there is a HUGE uproar when someone is name sswaffen (wich means nothing to somepeople as they have no grasp on history) but when someone calls themselfs

urmom
ic8jews/studmuffins/negros
and noone cares. (ic8 is bad but urmom is just new and is getting better)

and then theres people with innocent names like

coach21 or agent69 and there the WORST of people

ITS THE PERSON NOT THE NAME.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2002, 01:23:53 PM »
Welp, I read the entire thread, and I have but one thing to say:

You guys wear me out...think I'll take a nap, now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2002, 01:54:43 PM »
" Thare's werse naymes then thet wun. Yawl jus down't no whut it meens cuz yawl are ignunt. Beesides, is the peeple nut the nayme. Thay caint hep whut thay nayme thayselfs but thay akt gude." :rolleyes:

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2002, 03:07:53 PM »
This is not a public street corner, it's a private business.

That's right, Oedipus -- and because HTC's already accepted the name, that's it and the discussion's over. If they bow to one flamewar over someone's handle and make them change it, then they've established a precedent that will let anyone else who takes offense at someone's handle pressure HTC to force it to be changed.

There are social pressures within the game; lean on him to request that he change his own handle by not giving him '6' calls, by not going to his aid, and telling him [/u]why[/u] this is happening. Whining to HTC to get them to force the change sounds too much like running to your mommy because your playmate won't play fair and expecting her to deal with it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2002, 03:20:06 PM »
HTC accepted it or waffen got away with it? Yeah, when people push the limit and get away with it then it's too late, pandora's box is wide open and everyone gets a shot. I don't buy that for a second. Sometimes people create situations that need retrospective review and possible retroactive action. Sometimes people have to bring it to someone's attention. Sometimes it gets things changed. Sometimes it doesn't. Tell the traffic cop that stops you for speeding that it's too late, you've been getting away with it for a year already.

"It's too late he got away with it." :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 07:15:46 PM by Arlo »

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
      • http://yankeeairmuseum.org
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2002, 03:49:59 PM »
If everyone can stop the pissing contest for a moment I have a question. Has anyone contacted sswaffen yet? Has anyone asked him why he chose that name? Has anyone shown him how objectionable it is to some people?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2002, 04:17:36 PM »
Dammit beav, you're no fun! Besides, stepping between pissing contestants is a good way to get wet!
:p

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2002, 04:23:22 PM »
Originally posted by dBeav
If everyone can stop the pissing contest for a moment I have a question. Has anyone contacted sswaffen yet? Has anyone asked him why he chose that name? Has anyone shown him how objectionable it is to some people?

who cares?  you think *he* does?

the real point is whether HTC is going to do anything about it. i'll be watching with real interest.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline MotorOil

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2002, 04:23:24 PM »
OK, so the guy obviously has a poor choice in a handle.  Perhaps a little insensitive.  This guy is just some idiot who knows not of history or is just trying to stir the pot.  Anyone who tries to defend the name just ask yourselves this.  

You're a German soldier on the Russian front 1945 about to surrender.  You can choose between a regular German army uniform and an SS uniform.  What do you pick and why?  

Without writing a new book on atrocities and war crimes I'll simply assume we all know the answer to the above question.  

The US is so media controlled the idea of "Free Speech" has been tainted to the point you don't realize where it's been covered up.  If the guy wants to use the name you can't stop him under the constitution.  It just means he's a moron, nothing more.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2002, 04:25:08 PM »
Originally posted by MotorOil
The US is so media controlled the idea of "Free Speech" has been tainted to the point you don't realize where it's been covered up.  If the guy wants to use the name you can't stop him under the constitution.  It just means he's a moron, nothing more.

the constitution doesn't apply to a privately owned enterprise. HTC is free to boot/ban whomever whenever for whyever and whatever they want.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2002, 04:29:25 PM »
Waffen SS were bad, but we have guys simulating other branches of Nazi-controlled military here.  As other guys pointed out, Waffen SS were elite combat troops, not the guys running the ovens and camps.  I don't see a big problem.  You can't play Cowboys and Indians if nobody is willing to play the Indians.