Author Topic: Big Week  (Read 270 times)

Offline ~Pyroman~

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
Big Week
« on: November 09, 2001, 08:33:00 AM »
Ok I try to read the message board everyday.  I haven't had a chance the last few days due to the fact my computer was being fixed.  

What is this bigweek?  If Midnight is interested in it this must be a good thing   :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
Big Week
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
It is an NNTP newsgroup on a *private* server.

It's significant in that it started merely as the general NG for the AW3 beta scenario. Something *happened* and it got it's own life after the scenario was over. It was populated mostly by AW FR scenario types.

Even more remarkable - When Kesmai finally shut it down, the population revolted and immediatly put up it's OWN NTP server to keep it alive. It's now on it's 4th host with little transition in it's general character.

As Blue Baron said in my "other post" it's a very significant development in online gaming. The community there survived "despite" the fact that many dissalusioned with AW and left the game. It survived despite the loss of dedicated server space etc. etc.

It proves that real life human friedships can form around a game and endure for a lifetime...........

-W

Offline ~Pyroman~

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
Big Week
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2001, 08:49:00 AM »
Ummm.....

Actually I was talking about the BigWeek event.   ;)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Big Week
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2001, 08:51:00 AM »
Big Week is the next large scenario that Nash, Dowding and many other from the CM Group are working on...........watch for announcments!

Offline Immel

• Zinc Member
Big Week
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2001, 08:52:00 AM »
<slaps Wayne with a medium sized but frozen mackerel>

Immel

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Big Week
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
lol Ratbo. While your touching sentimentality for some newsgroup is noted and appreciated, you can't expect many people in AH to share it or even know what it is. With all due respect Ratbo, many of us don't.

Confusingly, 'Big Week' is the new AH multi-frame scenario. Keep an eye on the 'Special Events announcement' forum and this forum for an announcement regarding the event's website and registration page.    :)

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: Dowding ]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
Big Week
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2001, 09:15:00 AM »
Oops!  <my slip is showing>

I've heard a lot of references to the NG on this board over the last week too.

-W

<bends over for the clubbing>

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
Big Week
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
So how BOUT those Diamondbacks huh?

(runs like hell)

Originally posted by Ratbo:

<bends over for the clubbing

Offline Otter

• Copper Member
Big Week
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding:
lol Ratbo. While your touching sentimentality for some newsgroup is noted and appreciated, you can't expect many people in AH to share it or even know what it is. With all due respect Ratbo, many of us don't.

Confusingly, 'Big Week' is the new AH multi-frame scenario. Keep an eye on the 'Special Events announcement' forum and this forum for an announcement regarding the event's website and registration page.     :)

So you read Ratbo's post and you still don't know what Big Week is? Scored real well on the reading comprehension tests I bet.

Gratuitous return volley aside it will be interesting to see an AH Big Week (with out the 1,000 planes albeit).

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
Big Week
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Well, technically.....

wasn't Bigweek was a Allied heavy bombing campaign (in '44?.....I have some old notes somewhere)?

also the name of the multi-frame beta scenario in AW3 (*don't remember killing Westy in that one)    ;)  and thus the beta forum that followed and exists still today.

and of course, now an upcoming AH event.

.....just sayin' (tm Pasha)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Big Week
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
So you read Ratbo's post and you still don't know what Big Week is? Scored real well on the reading comprehension tests I bet.

How very ironic. Read what I wrote again. In case you don't get it (and with an intellect like yours, that's an impossibility I'm sure), I was talking about how many people didn't know BigWeek even exists and therefore wouldn't be asking about it in the first place. In other words, Ratbo was making an invalid assumption.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Big Week
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
Some who weren't asking knew about both of them ... and where they got their names.

*ShruG*

Just Sayin' (tm ewe-know-who)

Offline Otter

• Copper Member
Big Week
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2001, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding:

<snipped>

With all due respect Ratbo, many of us don't.

"didn't"