Author Topic: re-thinking La7 use.  (Read 2918 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2002, 10:02:34 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I am sort of surprised that people seem to have such a low opinion of the LA-7.  As a fighter I mean.  It is a superb fighter, in my opinion only being slightly less well rounded overall than the P-51.  The P-51 gets the nod from me because it has excellent low speed handling and the La-7 doesn't.  Of course, the La-7 driver never has to get to low speed if he doesn't want to, and he can go from 200 to 300 mph in about 3 seconds flat.  I think the La-7 is probably the 'best' plane for a lone-wolf pilot, or someone who is fighting without squaddies in an area where his team is outnumbered by 3 or more to 1 (which is pretty standard in the MA).  

Like I said before, the La-7 in the MA is mostly flown by mediocre pilots that don't really know how to fight.  They know how to run, and they know how to BnZ, but as far as actually fighting 1v1 goes, 95% of them haven't got a clue.  If you can sucker them into a situation where they'll expose themselves to a shot without realizing it, you can generally kill them.  Of course, if you screw up (at least in the 190s and 109s I normally fly) they'll wear you down in an extended fight.

I missed this thread. Reading this post reminded me of a couple nights ago. I was in a 109g10 chasing a p-51d across the deck. I'd peel away to see if he'd turn around but no, he was headed home. I looked away for a sec, then look for his dot and he was gone? I looked closer, looked all around, nothing. We were about 5 miles from his base, no way he coulda landed it without me seeing him.

Soo, I see a 109 and engage him. Next thing I know here comes an LA-7 blasting in from the nearby enemy field. I tangle with the 109 and LA-7 for a short before I collide with the 109 and tumble in close enough to the LA-7 so he gets the kill on me. :)

The LA-7 pilot was the pony I was chasing earlier. He apparently augered so he could up an LA-7 to fight me with. :D

LA-7's are dangerous on the deck. But I fear YAK's more one-on-one.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2002, 10:03:39 AM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
I've always been of the opinion that the uber-good late war birds need a small perk value placed on them... for nothing else, to slow down the arena and bring back parity.

Same here. Prolly too late in the game to do that now. Can you imagine the protests?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2002, 10:58:23 AM »
The only problem I've got with perking the 'uber late-war' birds is whats the criteria?  Uber or Late-war?  Cause if you say 'ok, lets perk all the 1944 and up planes 5 points' you've just perked the entire USAAF planeset except for the P-47D-11.  And maybe our P-51B.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2002, 11:19:32 AM »
Perking based on popularity is the only thing that ever made a whole lot of sense to me. Of course, the new mission arena will give us an environment the early war planes can be competitive in.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2002, 11:23:09 AM »
speaking of the new mission arena... any word on when we'll get it ?

can't friggin wait

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2002, 11:42:07 AM »
Lazs -
sooo... what I am calling you on (basicly) is your unfounded bragging about your abilities and your bigoted and off topic, ill informed La7 rant. As you can see... someone like you who is on such shakey ground on these things would have been better off to simply stay quiet and learn something (or spend the time practicing).
I was thinking that about you. You flew less than a dozen sorties in the LAzs7, and yet you saw fit to come on here pontificating about it. And don't tell me that you had anything positive to say. The real purpose of your thread came about when you said
Sooo... I been upping in a lag once in a while in those situations. very satisfying to hit the fat lazy vutchers in the lag.. sure, you can only get one or maybe two before you have to bug out but.... it is so gratifying to see the conga line of cowardly missun types peel off one by one as they realize that thier meal is escaping.
You set out to stir things up. At least when I do it, I'm honest about it. So don't come here running your mouth about the role of the LAzs7, when the real reason you're here is to take a swipe at a certain segment of the community. (That segment does not include me, but hey - I'm sensitive. You said so yourself after I apologised for making you wet the pillow)

As for my suckage, I'm losing count of how many times you have said it and so I'm thinking: For you to have to tell me as often as you do, it cannot be that obvious that I suck. A bit like telling the Elephant man that he's ugly.

Erich Hartmann sucked. He only got 352 kills in a war that lasted about 55,000 hours, so a k/t of around 0.0064 - pitiful. Cowboy Roan was another WW2 dweeb. I don't think he ever got any kills at all. He was a B17 pilot. I've met him.

Ah what's that you say? It's just a game? Well let's game the game, and then we can manipulate the stats any way we want. Let's forget the "war" (which you've already done) and just play to the scoreboard. Ummm... would that prove anything? :confused:

May have to take a break here. Early start tomorrow, as I'm off to see the pissants in France. By the way, Lazs, there's talk of another 10 countries wanting to acquire "pissant" status. Read all about it.

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2002, 12:00:45 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e

Erich Hartmann sucked. He only got 352 kills in a war that lasted about 55,000 hours, so a k/t of around 0.0064 - pitiful. Cowboy Roan was another WW2 dweeb. I don't think he ever got any kills at all. He was a B17 pilot. I've met him.

Ummm are you comparing stats of RL combat pilots that put their lives on the line every-time they went up with your virtual life/record?

You have got to be kidding me!
:rolleyes:

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2002, 01:31:51 PM »
everyone knows hartmann had inflated numbers, anyway.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2002, 02:26:28 PM »
If every other pilot in WWII had a kill per hour time of 6-10 then yeah.... Hartman would have  been thought of as sucking.

beet1e...I also believe that there was no hidden agenda in my original post.   I am not bright enough to decieve people in any case.   I would say tho that all of your posts have been wall-0-words intended as smoke and mirrors so that people won't see that.....

you suck.

my original post never implied that I was an expert on the La7 and it's uses... in fact it stated the oppossite.   That I was learning some ways to use it that I felt were legit..  You, on the other hand, who have absolutely no experiance flying it went on your normal rant about how easy it is to fly and how dweeby anyone is that flys it.   Even you must see the irony and hypocracy of it.

Oh... what one has to ask about your euro jaunts... will the country visited by you be more or less of a pissant for your having been there... I think we all know the answer to that.
lazs

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2002, 03:47:27 PM »
MWHUN! - Of course I'm kidding. :) The point I was making was that it's absurd to measure pilot performance by kills per hour. That's a GAME stat, and as we can see, folks manipulate game stats by dictating what the parameters of the game should be - spacing of fields, size of map etc. This whole thing I've got going with Lazs is moot because at prime time where Lazs lives there could well be more than 500 online, whereas when I log on (Euro/pissant day time) there may be fewer than 100 online. Now Lazs himself is condemnatory of the pizza map, and one assumes that his own k/t went down the toilet because he said there were "no fights" -(arena too big, too many fields or whatever). So by saying that, it is clear that the concentration of planes in the arena will have a direct impact on k/t, including Lazs's. But of course Lazs, being a bigot, cannot see that because he only sees a small corner of the total picture, and has only his own way of seeing that! Sure, people might get high k/t k/d k/s k/x - but only as a result of artificially created parameters which they themselves have helped to determine. People pissed and moaned about the pizza map, so the old maps came back - see what I mean?

The other matter is that Lazs discounts any type of sortie, except his own. You will see him talking about "missuns", "strat-potatos", and other defamatory terms to describe those people he despises. He's already pissed off a bunch of bomber guys - that I know for a fact. So it's quite absurd to do what Lazs does, which is to measure all flights in terms of k/t. How can you rate a bombing run in terms of kills? :confused:

Lazs!
You, on the other hand, who have absolutely no experiance flying it went on your normal rant about how easy it is to fly and how dweeby anyone is that flys it.
Nope. I said it has incredible performance - fastest unperked prop plane in the game and, having come up against it (and having flown it OFFLINE) have found it can turn and manoeuvre extremely well. And I am not alone in saying that it thus becomes the natural choice of tards/dweebs who are sufficiently skilled to fly something more challenging.

Thank you for reminding me that I suck - I keep forgetting!

I guess you're saying that France will become more of a pissant country when I'm there. The bad news is, according to your reckoning, that there are 41 pissant states in the USA - the ones that I've been to - including California!  :D  Well Lazs, this really has to be the last one till after the weekend. We leave at 4am tomorrow. :( Tomato is already asleep, and purring softly. I must tiptoe away now, and switch the lights off.

Oh, and Lazs - you're still a bigot, and you will remain a bigot until further notice.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2002, 08:41:22 AM »
whaaaat?   the fluffers hate me?   Oh well..   they shook my hand at the con.  

beetle.. flying offline is ok but to do it and then talk about how well that plane does in MA combat.... turns and such against multiple real opponents.... silly.    Go ahead and do some testing and show the numbers and then see if they hold up in the arena.   The arena is a very different thing.   Just looking at the La7's K/D is proof.

As for your kills per hour... I only took your fighter kills per hour... the kills you made while you were flying "fighter".

you have really chosen a unique way to.... as you put it... "never lose a BB arguement".

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2002, 09:59:01 AM »
Lazs – I’m all mellowed out following the trip to the French Riviera. Got back this morning. Talked about you a lot with Tomato, and she has questions about your AH3000 which I’ll post next time. As for the LA7, I realise we’ve both been saying the same – it’s not much of a threat. In tour 32, I got killed twice by them, and you got killed four times by an LA7. No big deal. :) I repeat – I don’t mind you saying I suck. But just don’t do it on the strength of incomplete/misleading stats.

The trip to France was full of surprises, and not without disaster. On Friday, I had had two large coffees at breakfast, and had to stop for a comfort break while driving from Cannes to St. Raphael. At the roadside I found a secluded spot, and “achieved comfort”. But then I noticed something moving just in front of me. I had disturbed an ants’ nest, and the infuriated creatures were scurrying all over the place, none too pleased at the not-so-cold shower they’d just received. And then I realised the severity of my actions. I had just created a whole new colony of pissants. :eek:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2002, 10:10:25 AM »
I don't have an Austin Healey 3000.
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2002, 11:25:02 AM »
** silly stuff deleted ** :D

Shane was right. We've argued enough, and my last remarks were way off topic.

Lazs - have a nice day.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2002, 02:12:48 AM by beet1e »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2002, 11:26:09 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
So noted.

you hear skuzzy, too?

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798