Author Topic: Question.  (Read 4796 times)

Offline KOOL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Question.
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2002, 09:45:36 AM »
Wldthing needs proof to tell the truth?  Here it is.  The proof is in the pudding, or in this case a film of him killing his engine during KOTH!  

http://www.327th.com/Films/ahfilm.zip

Salute!
KOOL
Salute!
KOOL
327th Steel Talons

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2002, 03:32:08 PM »
Damn 12 year olds.

Get a life KOOL.

Offline KOOL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Question.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2002, 07:58:15 PM »
I had a life until some 11 year old cut his engine and shot me down during a KOTH match.  :D

Salute!
KOOL
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 06:25:30 PM by KOOL »
Salute!
KOOL
327th Steel Talons

Offline Daniko

• Zinc Member
Question.
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2002, 04:24:16 AM »
I can understand the rule as it is in KOTH, .. .i'm not sure it has to be there, but i understand it.  THe thing is, especially in the kind of flying I do,  I find myself at a great advantage usually when an opponent cuts their engine in the middle of a dogfight, ...  

i have never cut my engine, but i certainly have chopped throttle in certain situations to force an over shoot.  How different is it in terms of airodynamics?

I would be really interested to fly against someone in the DA who uses engine on/off technique simply to get an idea if this could really be used to an advantage...

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2002, 12:15:16 PM »
Its not your throttle control abilities that make you a good pilot...

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
Question.
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2002, 08:21:14 AM »
It's gamey as hell. I REALLY hope HT puts a 30 second delay on restarts. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 09:00:42 AM by BNM »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Question.
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2002, 11:04:25 AM »
Originally posted by BNM
It's gamey as hell. I REALLY hope HT puts a 30 second delay on restarts. Problem solved.
What advantage does one have who cuts his engine?

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2002, 12:26:03 PM »
and again...IN REAL LIFE U  CAN START AND STOP ENGINES...u dum asses

Love BiGB
xo0xo

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
Question.
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2002, 08:47:35 PM »
I like the rules. 95% like the rules. Know what that means? The rules stay.

My main reason for this rule is cheating the fuel method. Don't like it? You're one of the few. People still attend the event and have a great time even with this 'stupid' rules. We won't miss the few that don't attend.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Question.
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2002, 09:13:16 AM »
Just found this thread and area of KOTH discussion, and I guess I'll jump in to offer my opinion.
I try to make the game as real as I can to 'simulate' real flying, which I have no idea what it is really like being a non-pilot.
Therefore I do not cut my engine but chop the throttle to decellerate or prevent too much speed. The only time I ever had to turn my engine off, and I did at times, was when my throttle was acting up and going full throttle with no input from me. I also only did this while landing because it's kind of tough to land with full throttle.
Rules are rules, though and I can see why we have them and for good reason [ ducks to avoid thrown objects ].
Do you try to get 6 cards when playing 5 card stud?
[ 'you' used generally and not at anyone specific ]

I can see HTC doing something to slow down the starting sequence though to 'simulate' real planes.

Oops, I forgot, I also restart my engine in mid-flight, and possibly fight, when I have forgotten to switch fuel tanks to auto and inadvertantly run dry of gas. Hmm, now that I think about it, I recall running dry on one tank, going 'Oops' and switching tanks and have the engine magically restart withOUT hitting anything.
Now I'm even confuzing myself, which isn't too hard to do, by the way.

I was only going to give my 2 cents but I think I rambled and now I'm 4 cents short.

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2002, 06:30:19 PM »
again....YOU CAN RESTART ur Engines in REAL FLIGHT...

TURN YOUR MAGNETOS OFF....Engine stops firing...Althought props will continue to move...

Turn Key bak to on.."Magnetos on"...and  wow..Engines start!!!!

now yes you will have some fouling of plugs and some ohter things..but its not impossible..and not  'Fake as Hell"

Love BiGB
xoxoxo

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Question.
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2002, 04:44:48 AM »
Hey now.... my bellybutton isn't so dumb!!!
It always sits when I tell it to :)

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2002, 07:49:51 AM »
So, yes it can easily be done in flight.  In reality, I would not actually want to risk it with someone on your six with guns blazin. :D There is always that chance that your engine might not restart (see the bit about fouled plugs in BGBMAW's post above), and its kinda hard to make an emergency landing while getting shot at.

I think the answer to this is a damage model that takes a small % chance of your engine not restarting due to fouled plugs, etc. and maybe a bit of lost power in the first few seconds after a re-start (while the fouling clears).

Just my opinion, and as for the rule, if its the same for both pilots, then whats the difference, you cant do it, niether can he, no advantage lost, as far as I can see.

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Question.
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2002, 12:01:28 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW
again....YOU CAN RESTART ur Engines in REAL FLIGHT...

TURN YOUR MAGNETOS OFF....Engine stops firing...Althought props will continue to move...

Turn Key bak to on.."Magnetos on"...and  wow..Engines start!!!!

now yes you will have some fouling of plugs and some ohter things..but its not impossible..and not  'Fake as Hell"

Love BiGB
xoxoxo

You a RL pilot?  If so, make me an offer....  How much would I have to pay you to take your aircraft up to 300ft, get fast, shut off the engine, throw it into an "edge of blackout" 360 turn and turn the engine back on While coming out of said turn while fighting the edge of the stall you just produced?

....how much? :D

Oh ya, almost fergot... HiTech gets to mount a couple 50's on his ride and blaze away at ya while your doing this.

Oh ya one more thing... can you make me a beneficiary on your Life Insurance first?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2002, 12:07:28 PM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question.
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2002, 08:22:27 PM »
lolo i said nothing liek tht..i just said you can start and stop an enegine in flight...Would i do it how you said..ummmm Hel No..

Love BiGB
xoxo