Author Topic: Russian Hurri. (more info needed)  (Read 561 times)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Russian Hurri. (more info needed)
« on: October 14, 2002, 04:27:06 PM »
I need more infor about Soviet Hurricanes to finish this. specifically markings and what varients they were using. My emails in my sig if anyone has anything.  TYIA

Gatso

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 05:44:34 PM »
VVS stuff can be hard to find, this is an ok resource at the moment: IL2: pretty but limited

found this there
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 02:03:43 AM by crowbaby »

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2002, 07:16:55 PM »
Take a look at the IL-2 Forgotten Battles box art.  They have a very nice pic of the Hurri on it.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2002, 04:55:11 AM »
Yup. Seen it Nacho, Thats why I used brown/green instead of grey/green, thankfully it should be an easy task to change it if I want to.

Looking at all those profiles (Big TY for that crowbaby. sweet site) it seems that the Russians predominantly used Mk II and IIb Hurris. Any info on IIc marks? Where they used at all, I'm assuming not because I can't think of any other rusian a/c using Hispano's.

Gatso

Offline Epsilon 5

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2002, 01:03:45 PM »
It doesn't have any shinyness it seems.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Russian Hurri. (more info needed)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2002, 06:13:55 PM »
Originally posted by gatso
I need more infor about Soviet Hurricanes to finish this. specifically markings and what varients they were using. My emails in my sig if anyone has anything.  TYIA

Gatso

Your best bet is to start with the Hurris mk I paint scheme as for the BoB...........but apply it to a Hurris mkIIC

The paintwork would never look new as these were 2nd hand machines in late 41 and early/mid 42........... by 43 they were being with drawn from front line use............restricted to reserve duty.

............infact the VVS replaced the  8 X .303's  (on their Hurris IIB's)with 2 X 12.7mm bereznins and 2 x 20mm Shvaks .................. so we cannot get a perfect armament match. (for authenticity the gun up grade took place  in the field until late 42 so the guns will be grey steel barrels with a wing patch where they exit from the body).

Stars were plain red ones not even with a white/red out line............ (there was a thin black line but it was too thin to be picked out on our skins) certainly not the 3d ones ...................your position is correct but allow space for a 2 digit number centrally on the fuselage...........

Spinner would remain white and some even left the British vertical tail stripes and any british tail markings
Ludere Vincere

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2002, 06:56:48 PM »
Thanks Tilt. It was a sort of work in progress. It did allow me to sort out problems with the skin before doing a proper one (See the Sea Hurri thread). I always add weathering last and hadn't got round to doing any when I posted this.

Guess the way to go is to file this scheme and work on a IId which they definitely DID use rather than doing homologation bodge jobs.

Thanks anyway guys, I've got ideas for the next one  :)

Gatso

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2002, 01:14:36 PM »
Originally posted by gatso

Guess the way to go is to file this scheme and work on a IId which they definitely DID use rather than doing homologation bodge jobs.

Thanks anyway guys, I've got ideas for the next one  :)

Gatso

Can you advise which regiments used the IID  ...........I checked the 246 IAP and their last front line action is recorded as Krasnodar 1942 last large air combat on the 10-7-42..I presume they were re designated part of SAD................... (non fighter division for ground attack)
Ludere Vincere

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2002, 02:00:31 PM »
how do you paint all those planes???

Offline Epsilon 5

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2002, 06:52:55 PM »
Originally posted by frank3
how do you paint all those planes???