Author Topic: Wouldn't this be cool?  (Read 185 times)

Offline rust

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.rocketace.net
Wouldn't this be cool?
« on: July 16, 2000, 01:47:00 PM »
There are several posts about rescuing downed airmen in C47s and bombers.  But I've read recently about real pilots being rescued in P51s, Ju87s, even 109s with the radio equipment removed.
So I thought it would add a really cool element to the game if, after being shot down in enemy territory, you could broadcast your position and ask for a rescue.  Then anyone who cares to could land near you and pick you up.  That way your streak, which has yet to be implimented, could continue.  
In a heavy fighting area you could also cruise around looking for rescuers to vultch.
I think that almost anyone would risk themselves (reasonably) to rescue a downed countryman.  It would be fun landing and taking off from fields and inclines.
I think it would also serve to bring the community closer together as you would be dependent on others for survival and giving the favor would be to take a risk.

------------------
RUST

[This message has been edited by rust (edited 07-16-2000).]

Renfield

Wouldn't this be cool?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2000, 02:03:00 PM »
Wow, you know rust, that is a good idea. Don't know how hard it would be to implement programmatically, but it is a cool idea. Would also give way to some of the rescue type planes when water gets more prevalent - like the Grumman Duck or the PBY.

Funny you post with a pic of a -38 too. There was a pretty famous pilot rescue in a P-38 as well. I forget the details and who it was, but a 38 set down and somehow they managed to get two into the cockpit and fly off.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Wouldn't this be cool?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2000, 02:57:00 PM »
Yeah...that's a pretty cool idea, I'd love to be able to pick up downed squaddies.  And of course vulch the heck out of poor downed souls from Knit or Rookland!  

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Wouldn't this be cool?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2000, 04:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by Renfield:
Wow, you know rust, that is a good idea. Don't know how hard it would be to implement programmatically, but it is a cool idea. Would also give way to some of the rescue type planes when water gets more prevalent - like the Grumman Duck or the PBY.

Funny you post with a pic of a -38 too. There was a pretty famous pilot rescue in a P-38 as well. I forget the details and who it was, but a 38 set down and somehow they managed to get two into the cockpit and fly off.

There's plenty of room to hunch down behind the pilot in the 38. Granted if the guy wiggles much he's gonna ruin the radio equipment.

I know Chuck Yeager once loaded up a guy and a case of scotch in his P-51 on the way back to England. The guy rode in his lap with the scotch on top.
I'd say you could fit prolly a mini-van load of people into the P-47. Few more if you tied some to the wings.

- Jig

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
Wouldn't this be cool?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2000, 09:13:00 PM »
HIYA ALL:

to start with, you can pick somebody up, but dont stay to fight, you will be a little over weight and want to run for home, well not over weight, but still want to run for home.
and i think it would be great to use the downed pilot as bait, here little cons, come and get him. hehehehe

wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
Wouldn't this be cool?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2000, 09:14:00 PM »
hi again:

and wipe your feet off before getting in my nice clean plane.

wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline rust

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.rocketace.net
Wouldn't this be cool?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2000, 10:06:00 PM »
Oh, I totally agree about not being able to stay and fight.  Maybe hamper the controls a little so you couldn't turn as well; or maybe make the gun inoperative when you have a downed pilot in the plane.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Wouldn't this be cool?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2000, 10:17:00 PM »
Turn the guns off?!?  What if you have to defend yourself on the way home?  If that's the case, can I have an eject button to throw my squddie outta tha plane?    Or mabye I could head to the nearest enemy field and use him as an ack buster...peeeeeewwwwww, splat!  

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!