Author Topic: Whine! WTF with Bigweek Registration?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Whine! WTF with Bigweek Registration?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Here's a vote for a few walk-on slots if possible.

Because of the way our bid system works, I don't have my work schedule until the 18th of the month prior.

IE: I will know my December schedule on November 18.

Now, if any slots are still open then and I can make both days, I'll register.

However, if everything fills up and I have the days off I'd happily walk on.

Which ever way it works out, that's life and I'll try to soldier on <sniff>.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
One other way we did REGS in AW was this.

1. People register and select 3 choices - NONE are guarenteed at the time of registration.

2. Keep registration open till enough people have signed up.

3. Assign a RANDOM Number to each person and sort them by that assigned number.

4. Fill each slot in order of thier assigned random number.

There are a lot of ways to do registrations - some are better than others but may involve more work.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2001, 01:07:00 PM »
how come us sturmbocks dont have the same problem them p51 farm boyz have?

B17s and 190a8s is where the actions at.

50 of us vrs 100 of them. Rest of you guys gonna be flying in circles while we grab..... :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Midnight I gotta agree with AN here.

But I feel your pain...  308 was historically a Spitfire and Hurricane squad.  We've flown those planes precisely one (1) time in six scenarios.  

Suck it up, take one for the team.  That's how it goes for dedicated scenario units.

Anyways bombers in a big scenario are a blast.  And if there are no-shows you might well end up in a Mustang.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
I love this scenario already, look at all the cryin and it ain't even started!

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »
I'm not going to "attack you Verm, or call  your "grandmother a cheap pox ridden potato." Which once again, no one would have thought until you put so much effort to bring your opinion, not FACTS to everyone’s attention.

Just saying all the  :(  stuff really ain’t nessessary. There's real no way to do a event "right" and 50 ways to fuk it up. Scratch that. Here, it's just about impossible with all the whining retards.  :( 'ing everyone to death isn't going to help.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
There's alotta good ideas in this thread. So while we're getting attacked a bit, at least we're learning something.  :)

The deal is... we're now having these scenarios every 3 months, so for the people who didn't get thier favorite ride, that should make things easier to swallow. You won't have to wait very long to get another chance. Because of the increase in scenarios, we're working hard to come up with a good system that we'll use for these, and I see some ideas above that I definitely wanna incorporate. Also, we're going to track who flys in what, and try to set it up in such a way that the people who flew in buffs, for example, will have the best shot at getting fighters in the next go around.

Anyway, despite it all, I hope it ends up being fun. Keep the suggestions coming - there's some good stuff here.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
All you guys saying "be a team player" etc are missing one point that I believe Midnight (and myself along with a couple of others) is trying to make.

The current registration page did not allow us the oppotunity to register our PREFERENCE.

Why?  Because slots had already been assigned based on preferences already entered and this removed the full squads from the PREFERENCE list.

It should not matter how many people have put in a preference the same as yours.  A preference should not guarantee a slot, the mail back system should.

THE MAIL BACK REGISTRATION SHOULD BE THE DECIDER IN ASSIGNING SLOTS.  EMAIL EVERYONE REGISTERED AT THE SAME TIME AND THE FIRST CONFIRMATIONS FOR EACH PREFERENCE SHOULD GET THE SLOTS.

THIS is where the registration is poor.  Please fix this aspect and then allow us to register our PREFERENCES again.

oh and btw I have signed up for axis now as it was the only place I could get a fighter ride.  I still want to fly in the scenario but am just cheesed off that I wasn't allowed to put in a preference for a pony slot.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
This idea will still screw some people over.

Lets say they email everyone at 9:00 PM ET - those Euro players may not read it till they get up the next morning - and they get screwed. Post it at Noon - those at work who can get thier home email get screwed.

Even though it takes a lot more work a TRUE RANDOM Selection process AFTER  enough people have registered that they want to particiapte - Then a Random draw takes place - when your number comes up if your primary chioce is still available you get it - if not then your maybe your secondary choice or third choice - if all are filled yopu go into a RESERVE pool that can be used to fill spots as people drop out.

Originally posted by Blue Mako:
THE MAIL BACK REGISTRATION SHOULD BE THE DECIDER IN ASSIGNING SLOTS.  EMAIL EVERYONE REGISTERED AT THE SAME TIME AND THE FIRST CONFIRMATIONS FOR EACH PREFERENCE SHOULD GET THE SLOTS.

THIS is where the registration is poor.  Please fix this aspect and then allow us to register our PREFERENCES again.

oh and btw I have signed up for axis now as it was the only place I could get a fighter ride.  I still want to fly in the scenario but am just cheesed off that I wasn't allowed to put in a preference for a pony slot.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: Mike Jordi Bowman ]
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
Nash, check private messages please.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline vmfRazor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Well just to add another wrinkle to the situation. Those of us lucky enough to be in squads in the MA like to fly together in the scenarios. But this is not always possible. I have flown many scenario's in FA and they did sign ups very similar to this. But you were asked what you're preferred role was Fighter or Bomber. There was a seperate site that held previous info on each pilot. You had a log in ID and PW to get into the site and register. Say registration was 1 week long then you got you're orders and what plane you were flying a week or 2 before the event. Most of the time you got matched with squadmates but sometimes you didn't. Sometimes you got you're preferred role sometimes you didn't. It seemed to run in cycles. 1 Event I got to fly the fighter. Next event I got the bomber and the last one I got the fighter again. Another thing they did was the scenarios got so big they would run 4 seperate rooms with 200 apeice in them. They called them sectors. And each room would tally a score then at the end the scores were added together and the total victory would be announced. When 6 to 700 people flying in there 4 rooms was the proper choice. But then again the zone had a much bigger pool of help from all the @FA chancellors and even other zone sysops helping them run the thing. But even with all this preperation, this still got naffed at the beginning. People not listening to the sysops in the lobby before entering the room. People tabbing to the wrong bases. Rolling and taking off when they should be hanging tight on the RW for everyone to get organized. And keep in mind in FA Freindly collisions on the ground counted. Freindly collisions in the air counted. It would turn into a nightmare that never seemed to start on time. Simply because people wouldn't listen and do their part to make things go smoothly. But all in all some of the best fun I had were in those scenarios. This will be my first scenario here, and am looking forward to it. Just wondering if HT has even considered using more than 1 room for these so more people could fly and would leave more chance of people being happy. But I haven't been in one so I don't know how the turnouts are for this yet.

RazorDD

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
Nash:
-------------------------------------
The deal is... we're now having these scenarios every 3 months, ...
-------------------------------------

A scenario every three months?!?!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now *that's* some good news.  :)  And just about right, if you ask me.  Not too few, not too many.

anRky

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2001, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Jordi Bowman:
Even though it takes a lot more work a TRUE RANDOM Selection process AFTER  enough people have registered that they want to particiapte - Then a Random draw takes place - when your number comes up if your primary chioce is still available you get it - if not then your maybe your secondary choice or third choice - if all are filled yopu go into a RESERVE pool that can be used to fill spots as people drop out.

This idea has some merit and could easily be implemented. I really like the idea of a "random draw" to fill slots. It covers the problem of people rushing to get a slot first and the issue of reserves at the same time.

very nice and clean    :cool:

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Jordi Bowman:

Yep my idea is not perfect, I guess I'm not that worried about the actual selection mechanism but my beef is this:

I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO STATE MY PREFERENCE.

My preferred slots were not available for me to select as a preference.  A preference should be open to everyone, not just to those who choose it first.  That is the purpose of having the second and third choices after all.

That is what I don't like about the selection process used here.  It should have said "Choose your SPOT", not "choose your preference".

In the end I will fly where I can get in.  If it wasn't my first choice then so be it.  However, I feel that I should have been able to at least state my first choice...

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a beef with the guys who are setting this up.  A big <S> to them for going to the effort of making this scenario.  I just think this could have been handled better/differently.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2001, 03:45:00 PM »
I just think this could have been handled better/differently.

Yeah, I don't think *any* of us would argue with you there. If you didn't get your plane choice or are upset about this for any other reason, we're sorry about that. Some suggestions made here on this thread are gonna get implemented for the next go around in February, and we'll try to get it right.