Author Topic: Whine! WTF with Bigweek Registration?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Whine! WTF with Bigweek Registration?
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Jordi, regarding the swap list... We decided that it's probably just as easy for people to arrange for that on the Big Week forum (openning soon I hope). We wanted to get the other two lists up asap and adding a swap section would have delayed that more. Maybe the next one though, because it is a good idea. But... using the forum, if two people work out a swap, just fire us an email and we'll switch em manually. The reserve and walk-on lists will be there though.

Something about waiting until everyone has registered then putting those names into a sort of randomizer and filling the slots that way... Squads are going to get shredded. Right? You're gonna have 14 of your guys spread out over 10 or so squads. Did that end up being acceptable or did you find some way of doing this while keeping (for the most part) the squads intact?

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »

Step back, put away the pom-poms, and take a logical look at what happened. Do you honestly think that everyone got a fair and equal chance at signing up for this scenario?

Please send me directions to Eutopia.  I'd like to visit there sometime!   :)

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »
I think the REG System had a check to remain with a squad if possible.

Ex. If Pilot A had checked marked stay with squad and they put the EXACT Same squad name as the rest of their squad used ( Or the sqaud names were fixed by the REG Team before slots were filled ) then when his name came up and he chose P51 like the rest of his squad he would be put into the same group as the rest of the guys if there was an open spot.

Like you point out - AFTER the registration is complete pilots tend to ask to change grps so they end up with thier friends / sqaudmates.

A reserve list and a walkon list should do just fine for this scenario.

Originally posted by Nash:
Jordi, regarding the swap list... We decided that it's probably just as easy for people to arrange for that on the Big Week forum (openning soon I hope). We wanted to get the other two lists up asap and adding a swap section would have delayed that more. Maybe the next one though, because it is a good idea. But... using the forum, if two people work out a swap, just fire us an email and we'll switch em manually. The reserve and walk-on lists will be there though.

Something about waiting until everyone has registered then putting those names into a sort of randomizer and filling the slots that way... Squads are going to get shredded. Right? You're gonna have 14 of your guys spread out over 10 or so squads. Did that end up being acceptable or did you find some way of doing this while keeping (for the most part) the squads intact?
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2001, 04:22:00 PM »
Please send me directions to Eutopia. I'd like to visit there sometime!

;)

1.) Go down to your local "package" store, and purchase one 750ml bottle of Grain Alchol.

2.) Drink Bottle.

3.) Eutopia will be on the first right !  :p

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
Many thanks for the walk-on and reserve lists. It'll help many pilots .... me lazy, for example  ;)
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
Um Jeez folks. I haven't seen this much whining in a very long time  :)
I got a ride in this scen but, it's in 109s; I never fly 109s. But, it'll force me to learn how. I saw no problem with the sign up, and had no problem. I signed up on Saturday afternoon; a squaddie told me about it. All of the US fighter slots were filled up and there were a boatload of US Buff slots still open. I dont fly buffs so, I looked at the LW side; plenty of slots open there. I signed up for 109s or A8s; I got a 109 ride.
The sign up seemed okay to me, and I didnt even know about it! How else could I have found out? Well, if squadrons weren't contacted then perhaps they should have been or, perhaps it could have been announced a week earlier than it was. I know that somebody almost always gets locked out of these things, with limited slots its unavoidable. Jordi is an old hand at organizing these large scens, he is open to suggestions (if reasonable) and will look to improve if need be, the next time.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
As an attempt to try to add some closure to this thread, let me try to explain some of what you are seeing with this registration.

Until last week, I've been wearing two hats in the Scenario Corp, as Senior CM, and as Multi-frame Scenario Team Leader. I ran the first multi-frame scenario hosted by the Scenario Corp, Verm's "Afrika Corp" scenario. I also helped Fd-ski design the "Hostile Shores" Scenario we hosted in April and May of this year. I realized that I was approaching burnout with both duties on my plate. Consequently, last week, I asked Nash to step up and take the Team Leader position on the Multi-frame team, since he has done a good job for us in the past, and I could see his leadership skills improving a great deal in working up the "Big Week" scenario. In making this decision to promote Nash and to step back and focus on my Senior CM duties, I am trying not to butt in and look over his shoulder at every decision he makes. This is his first large multi-frame scenario he's hosted as Team Leader, so I would like to see us cut him a little slack.  He knows there needs to be improvements, and he's learning quickly.

Now, regarding the way we approached the registration. Of course, there are many ways to approach registration, depending on how much work you want to do as a CM. Verm's method of registration seemed to work ok in Afrika Corps, although as the head CM running that event, I'll tell you that the handling of the walkons was a nightmare, even when we had them wait in a separate arena. This led to us going with a different, "pre-register" type registration of the kind that Fd-ski came up with for "Hostile Shores". This registration went very smoothly, and worked great for MA squds that wanted to sign up as a unit. But, as I'm sure Fd-ski can vouch for, it took a tremendous amount of time for him to organize everyone. He did a great job of it, but IMO it was too much work for the benefit.

Hence, we get to this registration, where we want to focus on automating the process as much as possible. We have Exile, a virtual wizard with a database and web development tools, who has done an outstanding job for this community by being flexible and coming up with the scoring and registration tools for the scenarios and the TOD's.

Yes, I think it's fair to say that this new registration process didn't work exactly like we thought it would, and some fundamental error were made in regard to announcement lead time. But I stand behind Nash and Exile's attempt to automate this process as much as possible, to reduce the workload of the CM's.

So I appologize to all who didn't get the ride they wanted, but no matter how we setup registration, there is always someone who won't get their ride of choice.

But as long as I'm the Senior CM, I will continue to drive to get the guys to make these scenarios and the TOD's less work for the CM's.  You as players have to realize how much work it takes to throw these events together. Ya sure, we do it because it's a labor of love for us. But the free AH account we receive from HTC as a token of their appreciation for what we do for them, is a pittance compared to how much time we invest.

And at least in my opinion, the mere word of thanks from those of you who actually appreciate what we do for the community means more than anything else.

We are continuing to grow our number of events, and we're bringing on some talent from other games like Warbirds and Air Warrior. I believe good CM's from those games will make good CM's for Aces High.

This is Aces High, folks. We're not going to run things exactly like they were run in Warbirds and Air Warrior, so get used to that fact. Most of us were once either AW guys or WB guys, but one thing is clear now--we are all Aces High guys now. We will continue to learn and to grow and to change, that is a fact. But we need a community behind us that will support us and work hand in hand with us, not sit back and throw potshots at us.

We are here to serve the community because we care that you guys have a quality place to go when the MA wears out it's welcome. But we are not servants. We are regular players like you, and we need to work together to make these events become everything we want them to be.

Thanks for understanding. We'll continue to do our best to serve up quality historical(and even some non-historical) events for you to play, Aces High style. We ask for your support and understanding. Please do your part to help make us a success.

<S>

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
Everybody that 'had' to sign up as a LW pilot and whines about it is as of now a Luftwhiner,    :D

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Apar1 ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
Good post banana.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
banana:

Thanks to all involved in this  :)
Well said also btw. I am looking forward to the scenario. I t will be my first in AH, I flew and was involved in many AW FR scenarios, and each of them was a blast. I expect that this new AH experience will not be disappointing.<S>

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
<100>

sorry   :rolleyes: