Author Topic: p38 rules  (Read 740 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
p38 rules
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »
Once upon a time, when I saw a P38; I would smile, knowing that very soon there would be one less P38 in the area.

Then I ran into a p38 that had a very hot stick flying it, and I was wrestled to a draw. Soon after, I was getting hammered by the damn things. Nowadays I see one, then I'm seeing a problem... I see two; I see a nylon letdown in the making. Three, and it's time to get outta Dodge.

I dunno if the flight models been 'fixed', or there are more dedicated pilots that enjoy obstructed views and fragile tails... in either case, the population density of the Forked Tailed Devils would seem to be on the increase.

<S!> Lightnings! Now, please; go kill an FW and leave me the hell alone.  :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
p38 rules
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2002, 04:48:00 PM »
At least for me, there is no other plane like the P-38.  I've been virtually flying the twin tailed beauty for over 8 years now and plan to keep flying it for as long as I'm able to.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
p38 rules
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2002, 05:34:00 PM »
P38 has definately matured here in AH.

A am enjoying it quite a bit.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
p38 rules
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2002, 11:31:00 AM »
Maybe it's time to learn the AH variant...  I'm not a stats guy, but I thought the 38L didn't have compression issues (Hydraulic ailerons and all), but our 38 flight model certainly does...  Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Max - Out!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
p38 rules
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2002, 02:26:00 PM »
I'm loving the P-38.  After months of incredible 1-ping deaths, the last update cured it.  Its still a bit tricky with the compression and stuff in the JABO roll.  But, as a fighter, up high, its awesome...I'm trying to not get suckered into the turn fights with Spits and such.  Its an impressive aircraft that takes some "getting to know".

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
p38 rules
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2002, 02:32:00 PM »
All prop planes have compression issues.

The P38L can still roll though because of the hydraulically boosted ailerons, and can pull out of a dive thanks to dive flaps (not actual dive brakes).

The earlier models suffered from compression to the degree of never pulling out. Some did, and those that did had wings that were warped beyond repair.
-SW

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
p38 rules
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2002, 02:33:00 PM »
The 38 had some of the worst "compression issues" going.  Although they put a flap onboard with the J-25-LO and later models (I think that's right, I know the L's had it.)to help you recover from that "nose-tuck" compression dive, that didn't change the fundamental problem.  The airframe is the airframe, so they didn't do anything that could change it's very low critical mach number significantly, because that would entain re-designing the aircraft.  The boosted ailerons helped with roll especially at higher speeds, but that doesn't address the compression issue.

Basically, the flaps they added would disrupt the airflow and give you a bit of control back plus give you some nose-up to help you recover.  It didn't make the compression problem go away, just helped you avoid making a really big smoking hole in the ground.  :)

I think the AH P-38 seems quite accurate in it's latest iteration.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
p38 rules
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2002, 03:34:00 PM »
Fowler Flap installed on P38's kept nose slightly up in a dive......nothing more.  This helped keep the 38 from reaching compression speed.  P38 a great aircraft...as are all.  Each has vices and virtues.     :eek:

However if the pilot were persistant, I read that it would still compress if forced.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Hajo ]
- The Flying Circus -

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
p38 rules
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2002, 08:33:00 PM »
Just glad the butt doesnt fall off with a ping or two anymore, now it will really shine in destroying bases since it climbs like the devil with a full load.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
p38 rules
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2002, 09:07:00 PM »
With a tweaked 38 anyone can fly great.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
p38 rules
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2002, 04:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo:
Fowler Flap installed on P38's kept nose slightly up in a dive......nothing more.  This helped keep the 38 from reaching compression speed.  P38 a great aircraft...as are all.  Each has vices and virtues.      :eek:

However if the pilot were persistant, I read that it would still compress if forced.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Hajo ]

A P-38 can also avoid compression by starting dives under 20,000ft.  That's one of the main reasons why the P-38 was so effective in the MTO compared to the ETO.  Operational alts in the MTO rarely exceeded 16,000ft, while in the ETO operational alts were routinely above 20,000ft.

This website, P-38 Online has some really good information on the P-38.