Author Topic: The single most important feature of 1.08..  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
The single most important feature of 1.08..
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2001, 07:55:00 PM »
Wow, well said.

Beers for DMF!

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
Yeah,I wanna see your easy kill when the n1k shows up 2k over you.
If i`m lucky I can get away,but just the other day as I started to get some distance,the n1k just sprayed from D800,and took me out with 3 quick hits.
BTW the n1k is the only fighter I`ve seen that kept flying after a 30mm hit.It was 30mm `cause I only fired the cannon,before anyone tells me it was an MG hit.
nuff said

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »
More Beers for DMF!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by ~Caligula~:
Yeah,I wanna see your easy kill when the n1k shows up 2k over you.

Any plane with an alt advantage can be difficult to fight.  The N1K is no different, though in some ways its strengths are also its weaknesses when it has alt.  The N1K retains energy exceptionally well, which makes it a powerful BnZer.  However, the N1K also turns very poorly at high speed; I've easily turned P-47s, P-38s, and Typhoons inside N1Ks that were going over 300mph.

So a N1K with alt can BnZ you all day, but how is that different than a 109, La7, P-51 or any other plane?  If you can force it to get fast in order to get a shot on you, it can be easily avoided or even killed.  If it manages to get slow enough to outturn you, you screwed up and played to its strengths; you deserve to die.

If i`m lucky I can get away,but just the other day as I started to get some distance,the n1k just sprayed from D800,and took me out with 3 quick hits.

With lag, it's possible he sprayed from under 600 yards out.  If you presented a nice, straight, and level target for him, it was only a matter of finding the proper guns angle and then wacking you.  How is this different than any other plane?  I've been wacked at this range from just about every plane modelled.

BTW the n1k is the only fighter I`ve seen that kept flying after a 30mm hit.It was 30mm `cause I only fired the cannon,before anyone tells me it was an MG hit.

Dropped packets can mean that a hit you see at your end doesn't register as a hit on the other end.  I've had people tell me they "lit me up" before, but I never felt a single ping.  C'est la Internet.

In my experience, the N1K dies just as easily as any other plane.  Sometimes they take more ammo, sometimes less depending on my aim and luck.  Interesting how you can take one single experience and generalize it.  In all the times I've ever hit N1Ks with 30mm cannons, they've disintegrated.  <shrug>

-- Todd/DMF

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Dead Man Flying ]

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo:
Cuz I suck at AH. It wouldn't model the aircraft correctly.

Animal is the greatest C/O and AH flyer ever. Plus he looks like O.J. and can scuba dive.

Wait till I get Fester to spot me Boardwalk and Park Place in Monopoly.

That bastard is mine!

creamo I can kick your bellybutton any day of the week at monopoly even when I only own Baltic and Mediterranean Avenue

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2001, 10:49:00 PM »
And mortgage me the purple properties?

St. Charles, and it's a bet.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2001, 10:56:00 PM »
BTW, I had 5 stars at 72 votes. You amazinhunks that think Fester can kick my bellybutton in monoploy made it 2 stars at 75.

YOU WILL have your IP's logged. I have sent them to Animal, our C/O, who will contact Pyro, and you'll be out of this BBS, thank you.

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
Oh yeah,just what I expected,blame it all on netlag....lol
I`ve never seen a true n1k BnZer.They allways force a turnfight,but I`ve seen them just pull up after me when I zoomed by at 450mph or so,and catch me with ease.
But it`s all ok now,the n1k dweebride`s days are numbered... :)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2001, 12:16:00 AM »
Oh yeah,just what I expected,blame it all on netlag....lol

As opposed to blaming it on some ludicrous perception you have that the N1K's flight model is substantially different now than it will be after 1.08?  Any day.

But you're right in that I didn't consider all of the possible factors.  There's also the skill factor, and it's abundantly clear at this point that your inability to properly gauge relative E states with N1Ks is your undoing.

I`ve never seen a true n1k BnZer.
They allways force a turnfight,but I`ve seen them just pull up after me when I zoomed by at 450mph or so,and catch me with ease.

I have.  And why wouldn't they force a turnfight if you're in a poorer turning aircraft?  That's playing to their strengths and to your weaknesses.  If you're zooming by a N1K at 450mph and getting shot, you're either allowing the N1K to lead turn you and get a shot off as you pass on by, the N1K was going substantially faster than 450mph when he turned into you, or you're exaggerating the encounter.  Given that you have no film of this miraculous N1K flight modelling anomaly, I'd have to guess that you were simply outflown by someone who used speed and angles to get a shot off at you as you blew on by.  Anything else is exaggeration without proof.

But it`s all ok now,the n1k dweebride`s days are numbered...  :)

Which will make an easy kill even easier.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2001, 12:37:00 AM »
bbs bug

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2001, 01:48:00 AM »
Ok DMF you`re right and all the people that noticed weird things about the n1k are just bunch of cracksmokers,including HTC for giving any toughts to fixing something that`s not broke.

I can explain how the n1k caught me.
I zoomed by at 450mph,he was extending away from the furball at about 250-300mph,i pulled up ,so did he,but because the n1k retains E way too well,I slowed down lot faster than the n1k.Even though I was at least 150mph faster initially,he shot me from D750 and took out my engine with only one hit.
If You see no problem with this scenario,than I dunno what else to tell You.

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: ~Caligula~ ]

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2001, 02:03:00 AM »
Ok DMF you`re right and all the people that noticed weird things about the n1k are just bunch of cracksmokers,including HTC for giving any toughts to fixing something that`s not broke.

I didn't say that the N1K wasn't broken.  Wasn't that the entire point of my first post to you?  Whatever was goofy with the N1K, I expect HTC will fix it in the next version.

What I did state, if you were paying attention, was that even in its broken state the N1K exhibits predictable flight characteristics.  Because of this, and because some of these flight characteristics may be used against the N1K, it is a plane that can be defeated by mere mortals.  In my opinion, it's a plane that can be beaten easily when you know its weaknesses.

When it is "neutered" in 1.08, it will become even easier to kill.

In the future, endeavor to respond to points I've actually made, not points you wish I'd made so you can throw out some snappy one-liners in response.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2001, 02:09:00 AM »
I can explain how the n1k caught me.
I zoomed by at 450mph,he was extending away from the furball at about 250-300mph,i pulled up ,so did he,but because the n1k retains E way too well,I slowed down lot faster than the n1k.Even though I was at least 150mph faster initially,he shot me from D750 and took out my engine with only one hit.
If You see no problem with this scenario,than I dunno what else to tell You.

The N1K's E retention capabilities should be fixed in the next version, so a scenario like this one (though since it's not on film, I'm guessing the N1K was faster than you're assuming) should be rare after 1.08.

However, if a N1K has the capacity to pull straight up at 300mph and retain E well enough to shoot you when you zoom at 450mph... then I absolutely guarantee you that it will be able to do so every single time you pull this manuever against it, ceteris parebis.  Funky or not, it's at least predictable.  That means that in the future, don't pull such a move against a N1K unless he's slower or you're faster.  If you keep pulling this move against it, and it keeps getting you killed... why do you continue to be astonished?

BTW, what plane were you flying?

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2001, 03:24:00 AM »
Why is there an assumption by some that the N1K2-J will suck after 1.08 is released?

US Navy Hellcat pilots described it doing "impossible manuvers" in reality. The veteran Japanese pilots going from the A6M5 to the N1K1-J (yes, N1K1-J) went from viewing the Hellcat as a very formidable opponent to an easy kill. The N1K2-J Shiden-Kai is a better aircraft than the N1K1-J Shiden in all ways. The N1K2 is not going to suck.

The N1K2-J was the best fighter fielded by the IJN in WWII.  It didn't suck if you remove the reliability issues, as Aces High does. After 1.08 it will still do manuvers that seem to defy reality, but the fact is that it could. If you continue to pull stupid manuvers around it, it will continue to kill you.  HTC is simply removing your excuse in 1.08.

If you are flying a fast aircraft you have no excuses for being killed by it. It is an easy plane to survive an encounter with and not too much more difficult than that to kill.

Karnak, 9 to 3 against the N1K2-J in Tour 20.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2001, 04:12:00 AM »
Firstly I agree totally with Calig, I'm sure you N1K whiner whiners are familiar with my position regarding the N1K2-J X-Wing.

I have some interesting recordings, one of me diving at 500mph in a Wepping typhoon from a higher alt without turning, and having a N1K split esse twice and catch me on the deck.

I also have a film of me diving the N1K at 620mph, there never was a japanese aircraft robust enough to exceed 600mph, thats almost supersonic.  BTW, nothing fell off, rudders, butterfly flaps nada.

The N1K was a poor climber, I have references to verify this, the N1K had extreme torque problems, I also have references for this information.  The N1K had such poor brakes, it was almost impossible to land and many pilots preferred to land on the grass next to the airstrip because it was safer, the N1K was tail heavy.

In AH the N1K has one of the best climbrates, it has virtually no torque problems.  You can land it on a dime, and it does'nt exhibit any kind of problem in regards to its heavy tail.

btw A Korean era mig has predictable flight attributes and were shot down by piston engined fighters in Korea, why don't we add these then.  Because that would unbalance the Arena.  Just like the N1K is doing now.

I'm sick of having to climb to enormous alts because I like to fly the Typhoon and know that a high N1K is probably gonna kill me or make me run for cover.  I pay my AH fee too and should be able to fly what I want and at reasonable alt and have a fair chance against other AC in the MA.

You fly what you like, I'll fly a N1K and kill your bellybutton unless your at 25k or running back to base or your a Spit, La7 or Yak.