Author Topic: "Wings of Freedom Tour" just came to our town.  (Read 103 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
"Wings of Freedom Tour" just came to our town.
« on: October 27, 2002, 03:24:49 PM »
I read in the local paper a few days ago that the Collings Foundation's B-17 and B-24 would be coming to our own Blue Ridge Airport today. So my dad and I made the long, 6 mile trip to the airport to see them land. We camped out along the fence next to South end runway for 2 hours waiting for them to land. Finally, after an hour of me trying to make out the sound of 4 raidial engines from a Chevy with the V6, the shape of a B24 appeared on the horizon. I had a front row seat as that big bird touched down and taxied in front of us. I launghed my oscar off at the nose art on that plane. For those that have never seen it the artwork is of a Dragon capturing a naked women, and the name is " A dragon and his tail". A few minutes later the lovely shadow of a B17 appeared. Again I had a nice seat as the plane landed, taxied, and then shut down in front of us. The B17 they have is BEAUTIFULLY restored, the thing looks brand new. Anyway I was dissapointed that I didn't have time to take the tour, but I'll go back tommorrow. :)
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Wings of Freedom Tour" just came to our town.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 05:26:24 PM »
Jeez Beefcake, you act like you've never seen a B-17 before.  :)

Those guys are at Manassas airport in Virginia, and Frederick airport in Maryland almost every year.  Sometimes a B-25 or He-111 tags along, too.  You should make a road trip up to see them when they are around.  Of course, if you think 6 miles is a long trip, maybe not.  :)

ra