Author Topic: Thrustmaster quality  (Read 627 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2002, 11:00:27 PM »
Originally posted by streakeagle
My Saitek X-36 USB is still as good as the day I bought it over two years ago. I now have an X-45 as well for a 2nd computer and intend to get a couple more to go with my other 2 computers when sufficient funds become available. I have read of other people having various problems with Saitek sticks, but so far I have been pretty lucky. Everything works right and NEVER needs to be calibrated.

I'm going to try the X-45 as soon as I can get over to CompUSA. I gave my Afterburner joystick to a technician at work today and he disassembled it, cleaned the pots and somehow cleaned the contacts on the hat switch. I used it tonight. Worked much better overall, with only a touch of flakiness in the hat switch, in just one view (right-front).

What a difference vision and consistant pots make!

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2002, 12:16:23 AM »
About a year ago I kinda pissed James Hallows off saying that Cougar pots will be crap. After calling me uneducated and so, he stated that Cougar pots will be infinitely better than ones in F22, completely sealed (like that is gonna solve something, eh) and with greater resolution (this is matter of other hardware, not pot itself).

Just couple of days ago, he admitted his own Cougar missbehaves in pot department. So did few other people.

Right now, there is a kit for Cougar which uses HAL (magnetic contactless "pot") as with Simpeds, but it costs very much.

IMO, in a year from now, Cougar will be just another spiky F22 story. Sad. You just end up with spiky 300$ stick envying the kids who went Microsoft.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 12:24:25 AM by Hristo »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2002, 01:19:18 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly

I hear a lot about TM pots.  A number of the AKs have poorly functioning cougars because of potentiometer problems.

The stick DJ describes is exactly like a car with the best paint, upholstery, audio and steering in the automotive industry whose engine repeatedly fails.  

It's great to look at - hey, you can even jump in the front seat, grab the steering wheel and go "Vroom, vroom" but god forbid you start the engine. :D

Guys, I think the "Force" has been applied to you.  "Move along, there's nothing to complain about here."

curly

I've got an F-16 FLCS and an F22 Pro, two TQS, Elite Rudders and RCS.

It's absolutely obscene that TM hasn't straigtened out their pot problems on the Cougar.

I think the next stickset I go with will be CH. I'm not wasting my $$$ on a Cougar.
sand

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2002, 01:19:45 AM »
Word of Warning- if you Have Windows 2K or Windows XP, the factory Saitek drivers don't work.  

There are third party drivers available that work fine though, and the only problem with them is I can't make the Pinkie thing be my WEP trigger anymore.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2002, 01:47:05 AM »
Just a note: My Cougar works flawlessly as far as the pots are concerned.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2002, 03:57:32 AM »
After testing Cougar last summer I can say Im very happy Saitek X36 usb owner.

Two years using and still going well. Some switchs in hat1 are wearing a bit but no problem beacuse I can get new ones if really needed.

Offline SC-Sp00k

• Nickel Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2002, 06:23:07 AM »
Cougar 09022 going strong. No complaints tho those damn springs are strong.  Modding it to the Super Uber Cougar should see me with it for a long time.

I had the TG Afterburner before this. Thing last for ages. Finally the 3rd Button died on me and I had to remove it.  My only complaint for what was a great stick for the price.

Offline PENYL

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.mindspear.com/reef
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2002, 08:12:51 AM »
I am using the F16 FLCS and RCS system.  It was purchased when Warbirds was still 2D.  It is impossible to determine the number of hours, though the total of my bills is too painful to think about.

I've sprayed the RCS system one time.

That said, I find TM's support (their website primarily) to be absolutely horrible.  The FLCS won't load in Win2k, but since it's so old I guess I can't complain about that, I just partitioned the drive.

The old style RCS is the only thing I am comfortable with, I can't stand those pedals that act like car pedals and are too close together.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2002, 08:29:09 AM »
Penyl...check out http://www.stickworks.com.  This is Bob Church's (programmer extrodinaire who did the microcode for lots of TM stuff, including the FLCS) site and he makes a new chip/software for the FLCS/F22/TQS.  It includes a windows loader among other things, and is compatible with Win2k.  Check it out, if it's worth it to ya, you can get it from http://www.fscentral.com for $50.

SOB

-edit- Oh, I almost forgot the best part of it...if you upgrade, you no longer have to plug the stick in through the keyboard, as all functions and programming will be done through the joystick port.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 08:33:11 AM by SOB »
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2002, 08:31:23 AM »
I used a CH Combatstick analog for about 5 years before I had to replace it.  If I hadn't spilled beer on it so many times I'm sure it would have lasted longer.  The new stick is CH Fighterstick USB, which is IMHO perfection.  I'm still using CH analog rudder pedals.  CH has earned my loyalty.

ra

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Thrustmaster quality
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2002, 06:02:47 PM »
CH USB Pro Throttle , got a lot of nice buttons there :D :D

USB Microsoft FFB2 stick , AH has really nice force feed back in stall and overspeed :D :D  not many button that you can reach :(

USB CH Pro Pedals , very very nice and you got brakes to boot , :D :D :D

This IMO is the nicest setup yet to date that I have tried . Have had most sticks too :D

cheers
spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro