Author Topic: The greatest running back of all time  (Read 534 times)

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
The greatest running back of all time
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2002, 01:52:32 PM »
Originally posted by narsus
Emmitt Smith 150 TD's
Walter Payton 110 TD's
Marcus Allen 127 TD's (could be wrong)

Emmitt has 161 touchdowns ..... just saying :)
He also has 4 rushing titles as compared to Walter with 1 and Barry with 4.

Barry Sanders may have been the best open field runner, but Emmitts the guy to have if you wanted a touchdown.

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2002, 02:39:43 PM »
deliberately left out his receiving touchdowns out Krusher was just going on rushing, but hey your right.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2002, 04:57:40 PM by narsus »

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2002, 03:19:34 PM »
Nother couple years Emmett will be able to pass Walter in total yards from scrimage.  Emmett will never pass Walter in blocking. ;)
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2002, 03:31:08 PM »
Hurts you guys to know a Cowboy broke the record, Payton respected Emmitt and vice-versa.

Doesn't hurt at all, though thinking back on Walter's career, and his untimely death still has the full mixture of respect and hurt to this day for me.

Smith is very much in the Walter Payton mold as a player and person both on and off the field. He is a great running back and a great football player. But if you really want to look at statistics, then Jim Brown is clearly the best -- lineman-sized with running back speed to roll over the defenders. Too bad Hollywood was more important to him than football or both Payton and Smith would have had a couple of extra seasons to even be talking about a record. Sanders might have been a contender too, if he had really wanted it that badly. As MT and Funked pointed out, Sayers was perhaps the most gifted natural, agile runner to play the game. He could run 40 yards to get 10. Too bad, like another Bear of the period Dick Butkus, injuries cut short his greatness.

My pick of Payton is in the overall Football Player category. A running back who enjoyed the chance to hit somebody with a block every bit as much as he enjoyed running into the end zone.
Then there was the time Payton ran, caught and threw for a touchdown in a 30-27 loss to Minnesota on Oct. 21, 1979, a feat not matched until 2001.

I'll say it again, as a long-suffering Bear's fan who doesn't have much interest in today's professional sports scene -- you had to be there to see what Walter accomplished with the supporting cast he had on hand in the first half of his career.

As a Bears fan, I would have killed to see a team that was as good as the worst 1990s Dallas team duing the entire first half of Walter's career. Offensive line? Average at best. Backfield? Roland Harper and eventually Matt Suhey provided yeoman’s service, but posed no real threat of their own. Quarterback? WTF is one of those? Receivers? See the QB entry.

I have a vivid memory of those seasons that sums it up. Bears' quarterback "Slo Mo" Bob Avellini (his official sports radio nickname BTW - he was always about a second behind the flow of the game, with an anemic arm) as usual found himself befuddled in the pocket. From the rear camera angle you could see a free path into the end zone, 20 yards away. Dammit Bob! Run! But he doesn't see it until Bears' guard Noah "Budda" Jackson, having completed his assignment, starts waving his hand rapidly (I'm sure he was also saying Dammit Bob!, Run!). Avellini sees the open field finally and runs in to get the TD. The Bears could be painful to watch, but then there was Walter and moments like these for humor :)

In the mid to late 1970s, Walter Payton was the Chicago Bears. Take his single game rushing effort in 1977.

The 1977 season also contained his most impressive individual game effort. On November 20, two days after Payton was bed-ridden with the flu, he ran for 77 first quarter yards against the Minnesota Vikings. By halftime, the total was up to 144. After three quarters, he had 192. In the forth quarter he broke off a 58-yard run to finish the game with 275 yards, two more than OJ Simpson’s already existing record of 273. He finished the game with an incredible 40 carries. (Avellini threw 7 passes)

All of that for a 10-7 game in a typical 500 season. 40 carries was incredible, but then he averaged probably 25 per game anyway. The Bears relied on him so much that he led the league in carries 1976-1979.

Few players seem to want to be the best they can be today. There are always distractions, and theres always the ME factor. Emmitt Smith is a great players and class act for sure, and that was the source of the mutual respect between Smith and Payton. Smith is also a great running back, and for both statistical and non-statistical reasons. But in the eras I have watched, Payton is still at the top of the list IMO where the sheer desire to play football and be the best that one can be while doing it are concerned. His numbers aren't too shabby either.

Charon

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2002, 04:10:58 PM »
Walter Payton is most likely the best RB of all time. As for the "if" issue with Barry Sanders; if my aunt would have had balls she would have been my uncle.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2002, 04:22:14 PM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Walter Payton is most likely the best RB of all time. As for the "if" issue with Barry Sanders; if my aunt would have had balls she would have been my uncle.

Yeah,  and IF Earl Cambel weren't the best ever you guys might have an argument...  :D

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2002, 04:22:21 PM »
Originally posted by narsus
deliberately left his receiving touchdowns

well I never even thought of that ... good point

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2002, 04:29:45 PM »
You know Udie I had forgotten about Earl Campbell. He was an outstanding running back and a true force to deal with in the backfield. So I would have to call it a tie for 1st in my opinion between "Sweetness" and Campbell.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2002, 07:33:11 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Lomu is pretty good, but I'd have to say Christian Cullen is the undisputed best fullback of all time :) . Being the 4th highest try scorer in internationals theres few that challenge.

http://www.nzrugby.co.nz/playersteams/allblacks/2002/bios/cullen_christian.html

J.P.R. Williams, the Flying Doctor

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2002, 07:51:46 PM »
Earl was pretty damn good.  He is one of my all time favorites.  I love it when he appears on ESPN's NFL Films shows.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2002, 08:02:22 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Earl was pretty damn good.  He is one of my all time favorites.  I love it when he appears on ESPN's NFL Films shows.

Especially that one vid where Jack Tatum pastes him. :)
sand

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2002, 10:46:29 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup

When I was 8 or 9 my mom's boyfriend had 3 season tickets every year in the same seats.  We were at the game that was a monday night football game oilers  vs. rams.  The game where they always use that hilight of him getting his jersey ripped off as he's running it all the way in for the TD.   That was back in the big love ya blue craze :D  I still remember seeing that :D

[edit]

The Oilers were the only team to go to the playoffs 13 years in a row!!!!  And never made it to the big game :(  I'll never forget that fateful sunday.  My roommate and I were driving back from deer hunting.  We listened to the first 1/2 of the game on the radio and I was just stoked that my Oilers were finaly going to go to the super bowl.  Well when we got hom I turned on the tv to check the score and watch in horor at the fact that the had given up what 37 points in 1 quarter?  That ended football for me...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2002, 10:50:09 PM by Udie »

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2002, 12:22:26 AM »
one has to factor in quality of offensive line when gauging RB quality.  Emmit's rings, and almost everyone's superbowl rings are due to excellent offensive line. John Riggins was a fantastic RB (definitly best RB with a mowhawk ever) in '83 w/ the 'skin - nearly unstopable - much less so w/ the Jets, but Earl Cambel would have made the yards in an 8 wideout offense, were it legal.  he went out of his way to plow through linebackers they way most RBs go out of their way to avoid the LB.  thats why he is the best.  i've heard similar stories about Jim Brown, but i never saw him play

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2002, 07:54:29 AM »
Originally posted by Krusher

Barry Sanders may have been the best open field runner, but Emmitts the guy to have if you wanted a touchdown.

Actually, Jim Brown was the guy to have if you wanted a Touchdown. He averaged 1 TD per game. Emmit averages .83 TDs a game, and poor Barry had trouble with the end zone, averageing a mere .71 TD per game.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2002, 12:01:59 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2002/10/25/drz_insider/

SI's Dr. Z weights in, and for ONCE I agreee with him :)

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.