Author Topic: one day......  (Read 831 times)

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
one day......
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2002, 12:36:03 AM »
"everything on this planet that is alive right now will be dead"
is that so?
what about amoebae & earthworms? - they dont die, the just keep on dividing...

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
one day......
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2002, 02:24:02 AM »
Yes, and if you were born 2000 years ago, you, Udie, would have been dead by the age of 25 or so most likely.

You, being a great guy but also being sort of emotional, may have lived to the ripe old age of 32 or so as you probably wouldn't have been carrying a sword and a shield into battle.

Me - gone by 21, from war or some STD. :)

We (as in people living in the USA on Earth today) have it easier and sweeter than anyone else ever has, barring being a Pharoh - but even Pharohs died young by our standards.

Climb out of that hole Udie.

Mike/wulfie

p.s. "I, personally, plan to live forever."

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
one day......
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2002, 06:02:59 AM »
here's a thought for ya.

5.5 billiion people.
so, even if you're a 'one in a million' kinda guy.  theres still 5,500 dudes just like you.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
one day......
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2002, 07:27:42 AM »
Originally posted by wulfie
Yes, and if you were born 2000 years ago, you, Udie, would have been dead by the age of 25 or so most likely.

You, being a great guy but also being sort of emotional, may have lived to the ripe old age of 32 or so as you probably wouldn't have been carrying a sword and a shield into battle.

Me - gone by 21, from war or some STD. :)

We (as in people living in the USA on Earth today) have it easier and sweeter than anyone else ever has, barring being a Pharoh - but even Pharohs died young by our standards.

Climb out of that hole Udie.

Mike/wulfie

p.s. "I, personally, plan to live forever."

This wasn't a "depression" post.  I just had a moment yesterday when I thought how funny this whole thing is.  

and if it were 2000 years ago i probably would have been dead long before 30 :)  I like S words to ya know :D (There's an SNL joke in there)

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
one day......
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2002, 12:08:43 PM »
It's not all doom and gloom, Udie :)   Just think - in 20 years or so the homeless (3 billion of the then 10.75 billion people on the earth) will have their organs harvested to keep the politically correct alive!  All you have to do is not make waves for the existing government and whammo! a centuries-long life and all the soylent green you can eat :)

So you see, there is a bright side!  Many of us won't be dead in a century.  We'll be living happily under the beneficient discretion of our genetically streamlined (and hence, superior) leaders.  All hail Kahn!

-sudz

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
one day......
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2002, 12:12:32 PM »
everything alive dies

everything that dies is reborn

we don't get out of it that easy :)

ps

Fight Club sucked eggs
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
one day......
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2002, 12:55:02 PM »
Look on the bright side...in 4.5 billion years, the sun will become a red giant, and expand beyond the earth's orbit, incinerating the entire planet.

Mark your calendar.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
one day......
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2002, 01:38:25 PM »
Look on the bright side...in 4.5 billion years, the sun will become a red giant, and expand beyond the earth's orbit, incinerating the entire planet.

Parents.... don't let your kids find out about this. Its hard enough getting them to do their homework as it is :D
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
one day......
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2002, 01:45:46 PM »
There's always cryogenics!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
one day......
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2002, 02:16:45 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
everything alive dies

No it doesn't!!!  My mommy and daddy are never going to die!!!! :mad: :D

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
one day......
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2002, 02:32:13 PM »
Heh, like the skeleton of a munk in Rome, and the caption:

"What you are, I used to be. What I am, you will be"

:D

Or, to quote Bad Religion:

I'm not good at giving morals,
and I don't fear the consequence,
if life makes you scared and bitter,
at least its not for very long

Heheh, there's comfort in that, eh?

Ah, yes, the ever existential questions in life. I feel with you Udie, for you face the same questions I do. I look at the people around me, and I think that soon, we all shall have been, never to be again. Just like the individual that made the flint axe I saw at the museum, an axe made 3000 years ago.

Alas, such is the cycle of life. Here today, gone tomorrow. And it really doesn't change a thing - all living organic things on theis grea tplanet of ours is but a fart in space in the grand scheme of things. The universe does not care when gigantic systems collide. It does not shed a tear when great suns are swallowed by greater suns. It will not worry when all the water on a fine little planet is vaporized in an instant as a star expands millions of times.

But, here we are, idly watching these things we see as constants, dimly trying (and for most, succeeding) to repress the truths in life. It does not matter, in the end, whatever you do. The worst things, the best, all will be naught, diluted by the vast expanse of events around you. Soon again, the particles and connections that make you a sentient being will be spread across the universe, be altered and never be the same.

And whatever you do on this little planet, it will only have the most miniscule effect on the grander scale of things.

So, smile, drink and be happy. Beats the crap outta the alternative.

And always consider the odds - how diddlying likely was it that you'd be sentient of the great things, the massive mindboggling complexity of the universe around you? Not very.

So you better be thankful for it Santa, you ungrateful bastard.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
one day......
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2002, 02:49:40 PM »
Santa wins :)

Santa,  do you know how many times I've realized how lucky I was that for my turn at the big game of life I wasn't born a fly or an ant or worm.  What a rip off they got :D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
one day......
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2002, 02:52:43 PM »
Originally posted by mrfish
the big problem comes in 5-7 billion years when our sun starts gettin' too big for it's britches and things get really hot around these parts.

will we be on our way to other places by then or still squabbling over invisible friends and resources?

speaking of burning one...;)

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun,
There were children crying
And colors flying
All around the chosen ones.
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun.
They were flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home in the sun.
Flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
one day......
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2002, 02:55:48 PM »
LOL Udie, been thinking the exact same thing myself :D

"Oh, I'm alive. Think I'll use these wingie "

We may be utter ruthless bastards, but at least we kick ass.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
one day......
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2002, 02:59:07 PM »
Originally posted by StSanta
LOL Udie, been thinking the exact same thing myself :D

"Oh, I'm alive. Think I'll use these wingie "

We may be utter ruthless bastards, but at least we kick ass.

Man you should take a drive through east texas at midnight durring spring/summer/fall.  You get LOTS of kills of small unlucky beings that were not only born an insect, but born within flying distance of headlights :D

I've seen em so thick that i've had to pull over and clean the windshield because the wiper water wasn't enough :eek: :eek: Yeah we ain't got it so bad.....