Author Topic: Attack: Auto Selection and Hit %.  (Read 816 times)

eskimo

Attack: Auto Selection and Hit %.
« on: January 11, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
I would like to request that the "Attack" button be automatically selected whenever we select bombs or rockets on a fighter, and remain "Fighter" if our AC is externally clean.  If someone has bombs or rockets loaded, obviously they are going on a jabo/attack mission.  A flyer could still manually click on the other (Fighter/Attack) button if he has a different intent.

When I was recently checking the scores of my fellow squad members, I found that many had no scores in the attack category (even though I have flown several attack sorties with them).  Most of my squad members (and others in this sim) could care less about scores and never bother to select "Attack" before they launch.  IMO, someone's score should not suffer just because they don't care about score.

Personally, the only thing that I have been doing this tour, for the benefit of my score, has been to select "Attack" when I intend on attacking ground targets.  Still I manage to forget all the time.  I often get in my fighter, realize that I forgot to select Attack, and then .EF, select Attack and relaunch.  I also have flown many suicide Jabo sorties against the CV, that were scored as "Fighter" because I forgot until I was airborne.  This is especially likely if I am relaunching on a repeat sortie.               
_____________________________ _____________________________ __

As far as Attack hit % goes, it looks as if only hits on AC, GVs, and PTs count as hits.  Strafing hangers, ack, and other fixed ground targets, are scored as misses.  This doesn't make sense.  
An "Attack" sortie should include strafing of fixed ground targets.  Those who are very concerned with their score will avoid it.  I understand why building and hanger hits should not be counted as "Hits".  They are too easy to hit, and everyone would have hit % around 90%.

I have two suggestions that could remedy this:
Either remove hit % from the Attack category altogether, or:
Count hits on fixed ground targets as "rounds never spent" or neither "Hits" nor "Misses".  

Example:
On an Attack sortie you:
Strafe a hanger and get 90 hits out of 100 rounds fired, and then you:
Strafe an M-16 and get 20 hits out of 90 rounds spent.

Against the hanger, the score computer only records the 10 misses.  (The 90 "hits" were neither hits nor misses.)
Against the M-16, the score computer only records the 20 hits as "Hits" and the 70 misses as "Misses".
You then have 20 "Hits" out of 100 rounds fired, and your hit % is 20 % for that sortie.
Under the current system, your hit % would be 9.5 %.  (20 hits out of 190 rounds spent.)

I also wonder about bomb and rocket hits on GVs and PTs.   It seems as if these are still scored as "Misses", even though they are harder and more dangerous targets to hit than fixed ground targets.  If so, please make them count as hits.

eskimo

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
I'll second that, only makes sense that the software detects bombs/rockets being toggled, thus defaulting to ATTACK, thus, if the user wants something other than ATTACK status for scoring, it should be manually changed.  Visa versa for FIGHTER with no rocks/bombs.

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »

I agree with the auto-select score type thingy.

I'm also fairly sure that hits on ground fixed buildings are scored in hits in the hit percentage under attack score.

My fighter hit percentage is 7%, my attack one is 60%. I try and attack vehicles from over 1000 yds if I can, the paint on my pretty Typhoon tends to get a little scratched otherwise =)

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Rojo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2001, 10:34:00 AM »
I agree with Eskimo...happens to me all the time.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
I agree. Why have the sortie scored as attack if you engage bogeys after (or before) you've put metal on metal. Not that I play for scores (obviously, check my stats), but now that the perk system is looming near us, it does make me wonder if I'm ever going to get into  a perked plane.

Hits on GV's and buildings sould count as what they are, and so should Hits on aircraft.

I don't see the point of looking into the future to determine how a sortie gets scored.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
I agree - all of it...  

Kinda....

See... sometimes I'll up in a fighter role, but then find myself in a position where field capture is needed. I've cleared the entire field of acks several times. Now, for one - I don't get credit because I havent selected the attack button. Secondly, had I done this, it'd make no difference as acks don't seem to score you anything.

I think the cleanest solution would be:

If a ground structure/vehicle is hit - those points move into your 'Attack' category.

If in the same flight you kill a plane, those points would go into your 'Fighter' category.

Simple solution, I think... but something leads me to beleive the programming involved must be difficult, as the system they decided on is kind of.... just a bit wierd.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
Has my vote, Big time!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

SwampRat

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
I agree...sort of

While I agree totally that it would be a good idea, at the same time I'd have to be making sure I unchecked Attack in favor of Fighter all the time.  I make it an almost standard practice to begin my mission with a full complement of bombs and Rockets because there is nothing I hate worse than being near some hot-spot and thinking to myself..."dang I wish I had some iron right now!!!"  
I guess the suggestion to have WHAT you kill be scored appropriately as opposed to funneling it all into one category or the other would be the ultimate fix

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 01-11-2001).]

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2001, 02:16:00 AM »
I aggree with both the hit % statement and the score sortie as category to remember last type in a/c.

jarbo