Author Topic: The heritage of hate  (Read 239 times)

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2002, 11:15:12 PM »
My Dad was working on a freighter out of New Orleans in the 1930s.  Their route was southwest from NO to the northern coast of Venezuela (Lesser Antiles?) and then past Devil's Island around the horn of Brazil to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  He saw many things.  One of the things he told me about his voyages was the hate he experienced...one of his shipmates was from Galicia in Spain.  He told me he had never seen hate so strong as the hatred of the Gallego.  What the Gallego hated, he didn't say.  Only said it was the worst he had ever seen or heard.

It probably had to do with the Spanish Civil War in some way.  My Dad said the Gallego hated the Communists, most likely, but I can't remember much about it, it was long ago.  I know at that time there was a civil war going on in Spain.

Dad said he had never seen such hatred in a human being...and was glad to get back to port.

Les

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2002, 04:55:07 AM »
Modern, young Europeans don't seem to have any problems getting on. I've been to Spain recently and had alot of dealings with some Germans of my age (24) and we get along really well. Been out drinking and clubbing and had a good laugh. Germans do have a sense of humour.

When all the bigotted old bastards have gone, we can turn the United States of Europe (USE) into a marxist capitalistic utopia, free from the shackles of historical animosity! :p

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The heritage of hate
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2002, 06:29:03 AM »
nah ...

I'll still hate the brit :D

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
The heritage of hate
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2002, 07:12:27 AM »
Bigotry?  Dunno about that.

Nationalism mired by history seems to be a bit closer to the mark.

And nothing here mentioned compares to the relationship between the Japanese and the Eastern shore of Asia.

AKDejaVu