Author Topic: How far can antiaircraft guns shoot?  (Read 176 times)

Offline Kirby

• Zinc Member
How far can antiaircraft guns shoot?
« on: November 11, 2002, 02:42:40 PM »
If I am on a bomber, going 10,000+ high, can the guns reach me?

Also, It's very hard gaining altitude when flying a bomber as I get stalled. What can I do? am I suppose to press anything? All I do is pull gear and pull my stick up slowly. When I press AltX it tilts to the left.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 02:50:41 PM »
can the guns reach me?

Seems to me that guns always have a range 100 feet greater than what I am from them.  :)

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 02:54:46 PM »
yes...

Big Anti Aircraft guns shoot over 10,000 feet....these are 88milmeter cannons...So can the 5 inch guns form a CV group

this is Over Air Craft  Carriers- Carrier Ports-And Large Airfileds

These are the Black Clouds u see puffing around you...somtimes they miss..somties they hit...Not often..but when they do..U are hurting bad

and taking off in bomers..well put ur flaps up....make sure you are full throttle...

And if you are taking off from a Hi altitude base..the air is thinner and its harder for bomer to get off ground..

Also..YOU rarely need 100% gas in any bomer....go with 50% and thats plenty.....

Hell i fly W/ 25% in B-17 very often

BiGB
xoxo

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 03:14:52 PM »
Kirby, if you hit Alt+X and your bomber tilts, your rudder is not centered.  Before you hit Alt+X, hit "S" to center your rudder.

As BGBMAW said, you rarely need more than 25% fuel.  Unless you are in a Boston or an Arado.

Offline Matt1221b

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 03:57:21 PM »
hey kirby, whats up, we havnt played together in a while huh,
well the anti aircraft guns arnt as lethal as the ack, so what i do is get above the ack and the AAA dont really bother me, once and a while it will hit me but  nothing seriouse, bomb and leave, stay above the ack (they yellow bullets shooting at u) those are the most deadly, until you get outta the range of the target, and your home free unlease you meet a fighter;) :(

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 04:21:02 PM »
The mannable ack on V-bases and fields has about a 4k range I think.  That's 4000 yards or so, about 12,000 feet.

Ostwinds have a horizontal range of about 2.4k and are pretty effective on PT boats, where you can see the splashes and adjust aim.  Range is about 2k vertically, 2000 yards or 6000 feet.

A good bombing altitude is around 18k, 18,000 feet.  Remember, icon alt is measured in meters (yards) and dial gauge is in feet.

Les

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 04:37:34 PM »
The ship 88 reach more then 30k
Freeze

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: How far can antiaircraft guns shoot?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2002, 04:38:51 PM »
Originally posted by Kirby
If I am on a bomber, going 10,000+ high, can the guns reach me?

Normal acks from the field should stop a bit under 10k above their position.

The 88's at fields seem to shoot well over 20k for some reason, although I'm a little confused about that.

Originally posted by Kirby
When I press AltX it tilts to the left.

If you are taking off without using Auto Takeoff and pulling back gently on the stick chances are you do not have enough speed when you hit alt-x for auto climb.  Either set Auto-Takeoff on or level for a bit before you hit alt-x.  Good speed for bombers to auto-climb is around 150'ish.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 10:21:35 PM »
I hit a plane that was about 10k alt and 10k distance with one of the big guns as I was shelling a field (from allot further away).    Does that count for AA?

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2002, 03:07:35 AM »
The most common heavy Flak weapon was the 88mm. This was a multipurpose weapon that served well as an anti-tank gun, artillery gun and Flak gun. Albert Speer, the German Minister of Munitions, stated that the 88's used for Flak were desperately needed on the Russian Front. The Flak 88 required 10 people to operate it, later in the war this would be reduced to 8 people and it could fire 15-20 rounds of minute maximum altitude of 35,000 ft. The 105mm also fired 15 rounds per minute to a maximum altitude of 31,00 feet. The heaviest gun used was the 128mm. It could fire 10 rounds per minute to 35,000 feet. The 128 had two barrels on a common traverse and elevating mounting. The 128 was used on giant Flak towers erected in the main German cities

If we talking about german FLAK.

Data from this page Link
Freeze