Author Topic: Roots  (Read 126 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Roots
« on: November 05, 2002, 11:31:38 PM »
Just on a lark, I went to rootsweb.com and started tracing my family tree. Found some surprising things.   For one, I found out that my family moved to America in 1617.  After pondering this for a bit,  I decided that you are all a bunch of damned immigrants :D.  Also found out that the family was in the cotton business, in Virginia, for a couple hundred years.  Until the end of the civil war.  This does not bode well for my anti-reparations speech.:)

Anyway, you might give this site a look.  It is amazing to find some of the news stories, and records going way back when.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Roots
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 12:32:55 AM »
So your ancestors were illegal immagrants from england like mine .

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Roots
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 01:45:21 AM »
Well. The oldest fellow I could find, got here a few years before the Puritans.  So I figure he just got lost, and couldn't find his way back.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Roots
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 02:10:55 AM »
Oh, one other big, benefit I recived from this.

My Surname is strictly working class.  Mrs. easymo is decendent from Belgian aristocracy.  And, she has the papers to prove it.  This, she has lorded over me for 30 years.  Well, it turns out that her people showed up on these golden shores more that 200 years after mine.  I have taken to referring to her as "That immigrant".  This is a source of no small amount of consternation for her.  And, as such, a delight for me