Author Topic: XP Pro problem  (Read 249 times)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
XP Pro problem
« on: November 11, 2002, 02:44:57 PM »
Ok installed XP Pro.

Problem i have is vid card GF3 Ti500 is capable of 2048 x 1536 res.
I have 2 monitors 1 is PnP and 1 is not both are capable of running at 1600 res and have been on win98 no problems.

However XP refuses to accept that these are capable of running at anything over 1280 res and hence limits the resolutions i can adjust on the vid card.

PnP monitor should of course tell XP to do its stuff but for some reason XP dont wanna know.

Non PnP monitor is an older CTX 1564 which is listed in the monitor selection page and even selecting this driver XP still refuses accept a res over 1280.

I know i can uncheck the "hide modes that this monitor can display" button and this lets me set any res i wish on the desktop.

BUT AH refuses to accept this and goes with the setting XP forces on me of 1280 res max.

I knew how to hack the registry in Win 98 to force around this problem but XP looks different and the same keys are not there.

If anybody has a clue help appreciated.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
XP Pro problem
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 04:56:50 PM »
you need to open up your "video7.cfg" file (\programs\htc\aceshigh\settings)
and edit the values in there :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 04:59:37 PM by steely07 »
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
XP Pro problem
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 07:32:05 PM »
Hey you may be right, however i chose the harder route spent a night digging and made a monitor.inf file that loads a monitor into XP giving all the resolutions available you could wish for.
Now i have all resolutions and frequencys available in all my games etc.

So if anybody wants to make a monitor manufacturer available called i dunno RipSucksBalls Inc model number 2, then i am your man :)

Seriously tho if anybody has a monitor that refuses to use resolutions in XP that you know it supports then i have instructions ready to go.

In Win 98 it was a simple 1 line alteration in the registry but not so in XP.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 07:38:19 PM by 214thCavalier »

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
XP Pro problem
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 01:17:45 AM »
wow,nice work,i admire anyone who makes their own .inf files,wtg :)
EDIT:this is a known prob with XP and nvidia cards,do a google for "nvidia res fix",or looky here
:)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 01:23:51 AM by steely07 »
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber