Author Topic: Killshootered, without hitting a friendly?  (Read 123 times)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Killshootered, without hitting a friendly?
« on: November 14, 2002, 12:41:37 AM »
I'm curious, do cannon rounds have a proximity effect when they go off?

I just killshootered myself by putting a bunch of rounds into an la7, with a friendly plane buzzing by(VERY close to the la7, almost touching)  I never hit the friendly plane directly, all hit the la7, yet my tail went flying anyways.

So do these shells have a proximity effect or did I somehow manage to hit the friendly without seeing it?

(Note, this is not a whine, or any plea for ks to be changed, just a question of the exact mechanics of it)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2002, 05:52:55 AM by Innominate »

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 12:44:38 AM »
It's all about the FE.  According to your front end, the shells never hit, but as far as the server saw, they did.  A difference of a few fractions of a second between you and the server could mean the difference between killshooter and near miss.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 03:58:07 AM »
I'm not sure about in Aces High, but I don't think every round sent from your plane shows a tracer. Perhaps some of the rounds not shown as a tracer found their way to the friendly plane.

Offline Booky

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 04:31:36 AM »
Originally posted by TheManx
I'm not sure about in Aces High, but I don't think every round sent from your plane shows a tracer. Perhaps some of the rounds not shown as a tracer found their way to the friendly plane.

True, not all rounds show tracers, however all hits show a flash. So if he had hit the friend then he would have seen a flash on the friend.

Chairboy,    
I understand what you are saying but the server doesn't have a FE. What the server gets is what your PC sends it. Meaning if you see a flash on the enemy then the server sees that. Just like collisions, can't get dammage without actually hitting them on your FE.

Booky

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 08:37:02 PM »
how do you know you didn't hit the friendly?

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 09:15:25 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover
how do you know you didn't hit the friendly?

Because i saw the flashes on the la7.  But it was close enough that I could have been wrong.  But 20mm shells having a blast-radius would explain it better.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2002, 09:22:27 PM by Innominate »

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 02:07:42 AM »
Netlag. Its the same with the collisions that never take place on ur screen but u die to it.
Happens sometimes.
Freeze

Offline Booky

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2002, 04:16:12 AM »
Originally posted by fffreeze220
Netlag. Its the same with the collisions that never take place on ur screen but u die to it.
Happens sometimes.

You will never die from a collision that is not seen on your screen. It isn't possible with the way HT's servers work. If you ever find a instance where you take dammage from a collision and you didn;t see any contact, then I want to see it on film. HT made it this way for a good reason and the only drawback is that only one guy typically dies from a collision because only one guy typically sees contact, that part is due to lag.

Booky

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2002, 04:26:16 AM »
I'm certain the 30mm cannon shells do have blast radius. Take a Bf109G with a 30mm cannon and fire at a hangar at very short range - when your nose gets close enough, maybe 5-6 feet, the 30mm will blow you up.