Author Topic: 262 loadout options.  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
Re: 262 loadout options.
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
BK5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BK_5_cannon

"The Bordkanone 5, or BK 5 for short, was a 50 mm autocannon intended primarily for use against Allied heavy bombers. Rheinmetall was given a contract in 1943 to adapt the 50 mm KwK 39 tank gun for aerial use in the twin-engined Me 410 Hornisse bomber destroyer. They were installed as Umrüst-Bausätze (Factory Modification) 4 in the Me 410A-1/U4, and experimentally, in the Me 262A-1a/U4 jet fighter prototype, as the MK 214 cannon of similar caliber was not yet available. The semi-circular magazine held 22 rounds. Approximately 300 were produced and it saw only limited action, most notably in the Me 410A-1/U4 Hornissen aircraft that served with the II. Gruppe of Zerstörergeschwader 26. Intended for long-range shots, it was given a telescopic sight in addition to the Me 410's standard Revi C12C gun sight, but this proved to more of a hindrance than help in the turning fights that the Me 410s often found themselves as the maneuvering targets easily escaped from the telescopic sight's small field of view[1].

According to the account of the engagements against the USAAF by II/ZG 26 from late February through mid-April of 1944 mentioned at a German language website [1], the 53 Hornissen of that Zerstörergruppe equipped with the BK 5 were said to have to accounted for downing a staggering total of 129 B-17 Flying Fortress and four B-24 Liberator heavy bomber aircraft, distributed over a series of five or six interceptions, all while only losing nine of their own Me 410s.[2]

Specifications for the BK 5 as given on the National Museum of the United States Air Force's website are have been confused with the 30 mm MK 108 cannon, a standard heavy-calibre autocannon in Luftwaffe usage."

looks like it didn't do too bad in the ME410. Would history dictate how it does on the hitech 262?

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »

WOOO!
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
looks like it didn't do too bad in the ME410.

It did miserably in the Me 410. This is from The First and the Last by Adolf Galland, commander of the fighter branch of the Luftwaffe for the majority of the war, and 100+ kill ace.

"At the beginning of the war our tanks could only open fire from a distance of 800 yards if they wanted to be sure of the results, while our latest types were in a position to combat enemy tanks from a distance of 3000 yards. The Jagdwaffe alone had not developed along these lines. They still had to close in to 400 yards before they could use their weapons effectively.
From this consideration arose the order for fighters and destroyers to use a large-caliber long-distance cannon against  the American bomber formations. The result was as follows: an Me-410 destroyer, equipped with [the] armored-car cannon KWK 5, weighing 2000 pounds (!), was reconstructed as an automatic weapon with a magazine holding about 15 shells, [with] a rate of fire [of] about one shot per second. It was possible to fly with this monster sticking 3 yards out in front; firing was possible, too, although the cannon jammed hopelessly after about five shots. One could even hit something, not at 1000 or 3000 yards' distance, but at the most from 400 yards! Beyond that all chances of a hit were spoiled by having to fly the aircraft. Nothing was gained, therefore, and firing was reduced to single shots. We used to say ironically that we only had to shatter the morale of the bomber crew by a few artillery shots, then we could ram the Mustangs and Thunderbolts with our gun barrel."

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »

WOOO!

THAAAAT's the one I was waitin for!  :aok

***G3-MF***