Author Topic: Fighter kill stats from Burma:  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Fighter kill stats from Burma:
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2003, 10:35:48 AM »
Did the F4U-4 lose a HO or what? More details on these legendary SBD battles please :D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2003, 11:24:35 AM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
were these 1 on 1 widewing?

Some were 1v1, some were in furballs. The fact that I get a lot of kills with the SBD is not a fluke. Typically, in the MA against much tougher aircraft than the Zeke 21.....

From tour 31: Widewing has 34 kills and has been killed 11 times in the SBD-5.

From tour 32: Widewing has 83 kills and has been killed 22 times in the SBD-5.

From tour 33: Widewing has 108 kills and has been killed 28 times in the SBD-5.

From tour 34: Widewing has 62 kills and has been killed 22 times in the SBD-5.

Do not underestimate the SBD. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, it is a very dangerous aircraft.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2003, 11:30:13 AM »
strangly useless in situations not under the sbd pilots control.  Are you sure your hyper stats in the sbd are not just from being in the right place?  Now that is just as much of a skill as killing f6fs in an sbd... just wondering though.  Are you hanging on the edge of fights waiting for stragglers at low alt and e?  Not saying that is not a great strat, just wondering.

For example... I have not seen an SBD in the air yet....

;)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2003, 11:35:48 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I've killed 12 Zekes for 1 loss to them (although a proxy or two may be in the stats). That loss was due to turning my back on Leviathn's Zero, which I had set on fire and assumed that it would go straight in. It didn't. Lev blew up seconds later. So, if we count that one, it's 13/1.
[/B]

Not to put a damper on a fine self-back patting, but let's introduce some accuracy in reporting here.  As much as you may admire the SBD's Zeke-killing skills, you engaged me 3v1 while I was finishing off the last of five enemies who were on me at the beginning of a massive engagement.  This means I was down to machine guns and intent on filling that guy with them at all costs before turning off to take care of the latecomers (namely you in an SBD and sticks in a Hurri I).  And you still died.

They guys I killed saw me coming, there just wasn't butkus they could do about it.
[/b]

Not true.  I ignored you until the Hurricane was dead, after which I turned to engage and finished you.  You managed, at 200 yards off my six, to put in a couple more pings that lit me on fire... before I forced you to overshoot and returned the favor.  Looking at the film (and yes, I have film of the entire thing), it's clear that you couldn't have followed me in the last vertical move I performed even if you'd wanted to, so hoping I was dead was a matter of wishful thinking more than anything.  It's clear you pulled vertical, realized you couldn't follow, then pushed your nose down and tried to extend enough until the fire hit my fuel tanks.  That didn't work out.

So while the SBD may be an excellent A2A platform, before dropping names and presuming to count me among the war dead, it's important to clarify a few things about our engagement.  I'd be happy to post the film if someone would like to host it so as to lay to rest any uncertainties.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the SBD.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2003, 01:07:33 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

Not to put a damper on a fine self-back patting, but let's introduce some accuracy in reporting here.  As much as you may admire the SBD's Zeke-killing skills, you engaged me 3v1 while I was finishing off the last of five enemies who were on me at the beginning of a massive engagement.  This means I was down to machine guns and intent on filling that guy with them at all costs before turning off to take care of the latecomers (namely you in an SBD and sticks in a Hurri I).  And you still died.

[/b]

Not true.  I ignored you until the Hurricane was dead, after which I turned to engage and finished you.  You managed, at 200 yards off my six, to put in a couple more pings that lit me on fire... before I forced you to overshoot and returned the favor.  Looking at the film (and yes, I have film of the entire thing), it's clear that you couldn't have followed me in the last vertical move I performed even if you'd wanted to, so hoping I was dead was a matter of wishful thinking more than anything.  It's clear you pulled vertical, realized you couldn't follow, then pushed your nose down and tried to extend enough until the fire hit my fuel tanks.  That didn't work out.

So while the SBD may be an excellent A2A platform, before dropping names and presuming to count me among the war dead, it's important to clarify a few things about our engagement.  I'd be happy to post the film if someone would like to host it so as to lay to rest any uncertainties.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the SBD.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn [/B]

Well, when I spotted you I was well below climbing out with a 1k bomb strapped to the belly. When I saw you beating up those guys, I dumped the bomb and turned in an effort to cut you off.
The fact that you were engaged with another aircraft means nothing. You wouldn't pass on such an opportunity. The Hurri was headed for the deck and you followed. So, now being well above you, I rolled in, closed and fired, setting your Zeke ablaze. You then pulled into the vertical as I went whistling on by. I expected you to go straight in, and I pulled nose high and began a turn while throttling back to observe the crash. It was at that point that I saw that while on fire, your Zero was very much alive.  Having slowed considerably, I rammed on power, pushed over and tightened the turn. But, at such a slow speed, I could not out-turn the Zero, nor accelerate away. At that point you shot off my horizontal stab. My mistake was to get careless. Had I not dumped my E, I would have been out of range, extending out while you waited to explode. You didn't "force" an overshoot, I was much faster than you and an overshoot was unavoidable and not unintended. However, I figured you were dead. Upon seeing the smoke and fire, I stupidly slacked off... and paid for it.
95% of the time, when I smack a Zero from close range.. it's dead immediately. You were very lucky Lev.... for 30 seconds before you blew up.

Please, post the film. If no one will host it, send it to me, I will.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2003, 01:43:59 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
The fact that you were engaged with another aircraft means nothing. You wouldn't pass on such an opportunity.
[/B]

Of course I wouldn't pass up such an opportunity.  What I absolutely would not do is drop names and misrepresent the engagement (after all, you did say that everyone you killed saw you coming and couldn't do anything about it) in an effort to extoll the virtues of one plane or another.  I mean, you died and you're still counting it as if you killed me.  I give sticks credit for the kill since he was still around to enjoy it.  :)

So, now being well above you, I rolled in, closed and fired, setting your Zeke ablaze.
[/B]

Not quite accurate.  You shot me up as I was turning with the original Hurricane.  This hit oil.  After I dispatched him, you came around for another pass and pinged me as I pulled the vertical move on you, lighting my fuel on fire.  You died shortly thereafter, as I still had plenty of time before the fuel fire dispatched me.  The second pass on me was the mistake... you should have kept going after smoking me and allowed my oil or fuel to simply run out.  You surely would have gotten the kill.

You then pulled into the vertical as I went whistling on by. I expected you to go straight in, and I pulled nose high and began a turn while throttling back to observe the crash. It was at that point that I saw that while on fire, your Zero was very much alive.
[/b]

When you were 200-500 back, according to AH film, we were the same speed (~200mph).  You only remained faster than me because I turned into you and you did little to counter it.

You were very lucky Lev.... for 30 seconds before you blew up.
[/B]

Rather, I'd say it was you who were unlucky.  :)

I'll post the film shortly.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2003, 01:46:19 PM »
Hey Widewing would you, if you have time add your oppinion to the F4F-4 vz A6M2 thread in aircraft and vehicals, particulary regarding zero durabality under fire.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2003, 03:53:08 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

Of course I wouldn't pass up such an opportunity.  What I absolutely would not do is drop names and misrepresent the engagement (after all, you did say that everyone you killed saw you coming and couldn't do anything about it) in an effort to extoll the virtues of one plane or another.  I mean, you died and you're still counting it as if you killed me.  I give sticks credit for the kill since he was still around to enjoy it.  :)

[/B]

Not quite accurate.  You shot me up as I was turning with the original Hurricane.  This hit oil.  After I dispatched him, you came around for another pass and pinged me as I pulled the vertical move on you, lighting my fuel on fire.  You died shortly thereafter, as I still had plenty of time before the fuel fire dispatched me.  The second pass on me was the mistake... you should have kept going after smoking me and allowed my oil or fuel to simply run out.  You surely would have gotten the kill.

When you were 200-500 back, according to AH film, we were the same speed (~200mph).  You only remained faster than me because I turned into you and you did little to counter it.

Rather, I'd say it was you who were unlucky.  :)

I'll post the film shortly.

-- Todd/Leviathn [/B]

This is why I want to see the film. I related the events as best as I could recall. I had a dozen or more engagements that day.

I’m perfectly willing to have any missing details provided. That said the fact remains that 95% of the time a Zero would have gone down immediately. Your Zeke survived long enough to hit me. Sticks gained the proxy when you blew up. And, what exactly caused your Zero to explode? ;)

I accomplished my purpose anyway. The Hurri got away, and you went kaboom :D

Indeed, if it weren’t for the strange damage model of the Zero, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. But sometimes, those damn things won't die.... :mad:

Seriously, flying the SBD as a fighter requires maximum aggression. The airplane is way too slow not to press hard. When you attack a fighter, you cannot leave anything on the table, simply because the fighter will eventually gain the advantage. You have to disable or kill it before that happens. That means boring in, committing, and leaving you virtually no margin for error. The vast majority of the time, it works. With you, it worked inasmuch as your Zero was on fire (I thought it was about to crash, which is why I made no effort to avoid you), utterly doomed at the very least. Call it your good luck or my bad luck, but either way; I would do it the same way next time.

Of course, everyone should realize that from now on any poor guy flying an SBD anywhere near Lev is gonna get his full attention :D

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2003, 04:27:02 PM »
Once, I shot down three B17s in a Kate.  I don't have a film but I remember it pretty well.

Then I invented ice cream.

:D

Splash1

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2003, 04:51:35 PM »
When I'm flying in an A6M and it catches on fire, I do everything I can to get a kill within the next 30 seconds.  If I'm in freindly territory, and low, I'll sometimes try to ditch, but only if there's no chance to kill someone, and I think that I can put it down in under 30 seconds.

Burning zero's are very dangerous because their pilots are as aggressive as possible.

The last time I set a zero on fire, I did all I could to not give him a shot while I counted to 30.  

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2003, 04:52:43 PM »
Originally posted by Dennis
Once, I shot down three B17s in a Kate.  I don't have a film but I remember it pretty well.

Then I invented ice cream.

:D

Splash1

:)

Man you're good with a torp.

eskimo

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2003, 05:38:15 PM »
mmmm

thats good ice cream...

:)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2003, 06:13:04 PM »
What a great thread.  One of the best I have read in the CT forum.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2003, 06:53:45 PM »
OK, who wants to take on Widewing and his SBD. Please sign here.  Thank you.:D

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member