Author Topic: when does the kate come out  (Read 150 times)

Offline Matt1221b

• Copper Member
when does the kate come out
« on: November 16, 2002, 07:22:31 PM »
when does the kate come out????? i want to torp some ships badly with that baby:rolleyes: :confused:

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: when does the kate come out
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 08:18:02 PM »
Originally posted by Matt1221b
when does the kate come out????? i want to torp some ships badly with that baby

and trust me - you will.

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 11:35:20 PM »
To clarify what shane says (as if thats necessary :D ):

He means your torp runs will end badly and not for the ships you are attacking!

Torp runs in AH are an excercise in sheer abject futility :confused:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Matt1221b

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 11:38:13 PM »
o dont i know it
i took  a formation of Ju-88s to torp a CV, well i got about 5 miles infront of it, going straight at it into the front, so my torps wont miss, i dropped them, they went, and i was watching them, they hit the front of the ship and didnt even dent that squeak !!! i was so mad :mad: but who cares im still gunna try with the kate, :rolleyes:  cause its eaiser to kill a pt boat with the kate than the tbm3

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 11:39:59 PM »
Real torpedo bombers never fared so well against carrier groups either. Hmmm... could the fact that AH is supposed to be a sim have anything to do with the results we are seeing are to some extent a reflection of reality?
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2002, 12:35:20 AM »
LOL shane:)

Offline Booky

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2002, 12:47:40 AM »
o dont i know it
i took  a formation of Ju-88s to torp a CV, well i got about 5 miles infront of it, going straight at it into the front, so my torps wont miss, i dropped them, they went, and i was watching them, they hit the front of the ship and didnt even dent that squeak !!! i was so mad :mad: but who cares im still gunna try with the kate, :rolleyes:  cause its eaiser to kill a pt boat with the kate than the tbm3

Thats odd. If I com into a CV from the nose like that with ju88's I almost always kill it. Unless I miss ofcourse. I think it takes 3 torps to sink a CV, but not sure about that. I don't fly the ju88 much anymore so I don't know if it has changed any.

Booky

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2002, 01:05:15 AM »
cause its eaiser to kill a pt boat with the kate than the tbm3

how? by ramming it?

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2002, 07:32:25 AM »
o dont i know it

Originally posted by Booky
Thats odd. If I com into a CV from the nose like that with ju88's I almost always kill it. Unless I miss ofcourse. I think it takes 3 torps to sink a CV, but not sure about that. I don't fly the ju88 much anymore so I don't know if it has changed any.

Booky

ahh two things from my side...

First of all on the number of torps that it takes to sink a CV.  I have been wondering the same thing because I am flying the Ju88s a lot to sink a CV.  The last I remember is hearing four explosions then I got a Ship Destroyed message.  From this, I believe it takes four torps to sink a CV... possibly that one torp is an equivalent of 2000lbs bomb (just a guess).

Soooo, a formation of Ki-67s or a formation of Kates or a formation of TBMs will not be able to sink a CV that has no scratch.

Secondly, we need Japanese torpedoes modelled on AH.  The Japanese torpedoes had a much higher drop speed than that of the Germans that the Ki-67 uses now.  The strengths of the Ki-67 (one of which is speed) cannot be used because the German specs for the torpedoes do not fit the Japanese ones.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2002, 08:39:20 AM »
Torpedo bombing is a waste, you're low, slow, and the ki67 is the only torpedo bomber capable of staying alive when engaged.  If the CV has 5" gunners, torpedo bombers are even jucier targets than the divebombers.

Throw in that the only direction you can attack a CV, and have a real chance at hitting it, is head on.

Torpedos do 2000lbs worth of damage.
CV's take 8000lbs to die.
Therefore, it takes four torpedo hits.

Maybe if torpedos did 4000lbs of damage, torpedo runs would be worth the added danger, but as it stands, you're better off bringing bombs.  You'll do just as much(or more depending on the plane) damage, with a much better chance of getting through the fighter cover, and landing hits.

The only time the ju88's excel at torpedo attacks is when you're attacking an undefended, unattended, ungunned CV, and want it killed quickly.

(also, wasnt the b26 able to carry torpedos?  It would be an exception in being able to get to a target even through heavy fighter cover..)0

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
when does the frank come out
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2002, 09:08:28 AM »
when does the frank come out????? i want to torp some ships badly with that baby :rolleyes: :confused:

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
Re: when does the frank come out
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2002, 09:41:57 AM »
Originally posted by Mitsu
when does the frank come out????? i want to torp some ships badly with that baby :rolleyes: :confused:

ohhh mitsu!!! I didn't know I could do that with a Frank!!  I can't wait to try!!! ;)