Author Topic: So you think the La7 is the super plane.  (Read 238 times)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
So you think the La7 is the super plane.
« on: October 04, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
Lastnight on a flight home from A1 at 8k in an La7. I check 6 and in comes a bish La7, haulin' arse & coming straight for me. I nose down for some speed to 4k & loop over the top. The bish La7 makes a turn and I do a lazy right chandell and end up right on his 6. I end the fight pretty quick and it's a good thing. Check 6 again and in comes 2 more La7's and a P51. I'm at 2k now but not much smash. Luckily the 3 bish do so a barrel roll ends the first pass. Somehow after several more evasives and trying to setup a shot, I go for what to me is more of a threat, the P51 (them .50's be dangerous) and I end up on his 6. I stick to him in a lag pursuit but never get a decent shot. He bugs out, not sure why. By this time a squad mate shows up as I'm dragging the 2 remaining bish, the La7's. Another barrel roll and they zoom past. Guess they didn't learn from the first one. My squad mate blows 1 La7 clean out of the sky. I look for the other La7 and try to bait him. Yep, here he comes. Boom! Another dead La7. Thanks Lazs and your F4U1D  :).

My point? Pilot, not the plane.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »
CC Apache, it's the pilot not the plane, however, a good plane helps. If those guys had known how to use the LA7's you would have been dead, try and do that fight in a plane wich can't manuver nor has as good speed and E retation as your LA7, it's alot harder.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Doesnt really prove much since you were also in a la7.  ;)

but i do agree that a lot of it is due to the tactics one uses, if you fall for the energy bleeding tricks some la7 pilots you are a easy kill.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2001, 10:41:00 AM »
Hehe, come on fellers, you're missing something. You did notice Lazs & F4U1D right?  :D

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
I consider 205's more dangerous than la7's.

La7 IS a superior plane in all respects vs most of the planeset. Only the latemost warbirds can go toe to toe with it (p-51D, 190D9, 109G10) thanks to its amazing speed and accel.

Luckily, since the La7 has to either slow down to tail someone or endlessly boom and zoom its slower opponents, it negates its superiority.

However, duel an La-7 alone and you will quickly notice the la7 can make even a mediocre pilot look like an ace.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »
Apache

with you leading them around he could have killed them in a 202  :D
hehe

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Am0n:
Apache

with you leading them around he could have killed them in a 202   :D
hehe

Lol, not Lazs. He has this thing for manly Blue planes.  :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Honestly Apache, I don't see how much pilot skill is involved in the last part of the fight when you were down to just 2 La7s.

If it were just you, then yeah that would be that you outflew them. In this case, these guys just had their heads up their tulips following you and Lazs came in to clean them up.

Unless I missed part of the story and Lazs ended up on the deck evading and attacking these guys.

Not trying to take anything away from either of you, obviously you were both better than these two, but it just seems more like a situation where better teamwork mattered more than individual pilot skill.

IMO.
-SW

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »
Stay with me SWulfe. 3 la7's + 1 P51=4 enemy aircraft. All jumped me virtually at the same time. Granted, there was a few seconds delay after the first but I was on the deck with the other 3 for some time (alone) until lazs, also on the deck, showed up.

My story telling isn't up to par I guess.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
"Seriously the fish was this big! *spreads hands wider apart*[/i]  
 :eek:
heheh

j/k

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
Been flying the La7 a little and it is a very fun plane.  

It definately has nice acceleration on the deck, but pretty much lost at 10k.

Sometimes it retains E so well it is a real bugger to get the nose around quickly enough for a shot.  

You have to be patient and, of course, run alot.   :D