Author Topic: Late frame starts your opinion requested.  (Read 1199 times)

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
Late frame starts your opinion requested.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2002, 04:39:21 PM »
Main thing is, everyone gets invite privileges so that as long as there is at least one member in the arena, others won't be left waiting.

Very Important rule... This along with instructions on how to set up a squad would be a nice touch...  I spent a lot of time instructing pilots with missing FL's how to set up a squadron... They had never done it before.

Love ya Flossy XOXOXOXXO

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2002, 01:09:56 AM »
Why not let those who are ready depart.. it takes a bit to get each squad off anyway.  Some flights are close in like CAP of the carrier groups.  Any late arrivals can join them if space is available.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2002, 02:11:19 AM »
Originally posted by BOOT
Very Important rule... This along with instructions on how to set up a squad would be a nice touch...  I spent a lot of time instructing pilots with missing FL's how to set up a squadron... They had never done it before.

Love ya Flossy XOXOXOXXO
Maybe we can produce some kind of "Idiots Guide" to scenario participation, which would-be participants could download - maybe linked to the registration page of a scenario?  I have a similar guide which I downloaded when I started playing in AW scenarios and it helped me understand them a lot better.  :)

XOXOXOX Boot!  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline SilverFox

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2002, 09:16:35 AM »
B)   BOOT Em!

The times are well publicized.  The squads assignments are beat to death by hard working people, often weeks in advance.  Why hold everyone else up for a few slackers?

Offline Tinker

• Zinc Member
On Time and In Squad. (Assignments)
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2002, 05:35:34 PM »
One Urgent need for a Scenario of this side is a Roster of Each
Sides and Squad sent to each registered player.

This way when a new face is seen it can be deterimined if it is a registered member, a squaddie to be put in uniform and invited.

Further All members of the registered Squad should have Formation and invite priviliges.  The late arrival of "the only member who has such privilages" has in the past caused delays and confusion.

The Walkon Manager should have a sheet showing several names for each Squad. A late GL or FL does not have to result in the squad getting no walkons because the recognized name was not there to direct the walkon as he was assigned.

The Members of the Squads should be informed of the planning and furnished final orders for the each  frame at least two days before the frame date. (Several of the recent Scenarios/TOD's have not had a single piece of informations sent to registered squad members before the event.)  Flying in the blind with out knowing what the overall plan is does not make for a fruitful scenario - and it makes the scenario VERY LITTLE FUN..

If "spies are suspected", ask them,  then tell them it is not permitted.  -- and throw `em out, not to be a participant in any frame of the current scenario.  We can certainly depend upon the integrity of 99.9% of our participants.  The word will get around its not nice to be a spy. :)

Offline Ed561

• Zinc Member
Squad Level Communication
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2002, 06:42:56 PM »
Having participated in almost a dozen AW scenarios and every AH scenario since I became a member, there is one definate difference between the AH and AW scenarios that most certainly contributes to start time delays as well as having less fun in AH scenarios.

In just about every AW scenario, the CO, XO, and GL's were selected and briefed on general plans such as rides, radio channels, uniforms, and other non-sensitive information.  Each squad generally practiced once or twice a week in their assigned rides.  Each squad member usually received 3-5 emails PER WEEK (!) in the two weeks preceeding the first frame, and several between frames.  Our squads would know what to do, what uniform to wear, how to tune their radio, and knew their aircraft a day before the event frame.  We had our act together (generally).

This, I believe, is the AH problem.  In the last scenario (Midway, but any of the last several would qualify), we received exactly 0 emails from our CO/GL/FL and we had exactly 0 practices (that I was aware of).  None of us in our squad had a clue as to our mission, our routine operation parameters, had received any emails, or were even consulted as to what we, the squad members, wanted.  I believe this to suck really bad.  At first, I thought it was our FL.  After about 5 minutes into frame 1, I figured out that our FL has forgotten more about AH then I'll ever learn.  No, it seems that the problem lies at a much higher level.  Our FL knew his stuff...he just didnt know how to apply it due to a lack of operational planning he was not told to email his squad with the required information.  He was NOT provided with the required information.  TOD's have far more communication than major scenario's.  That is a shame.  These major scenario's should blow away what we see in TOD.

We REALLY need to get our act together to make AH absolutely the best scenario software on the Internet.  We have the tools.  This software is wonderful.  We just need to apply these tools.

Quite honestly, I feel that we are relying far too much on the bulletin boards and not nearly enough on email.  Simple things such as uniform format (yes, I saw the recent writeup...somebody is on the ball, hehe), radio channel assignment, ride, and squad practices should be handled far in advance.

My two cents....rant over

Ed561

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2002, 02:02:03 AM »
I couldn't agree more - lack of communication has been something I have noticed in most of my scenarios here, and there is too much reliance on people reading the boards.  I also received very little in the way of email this time, apart from a brief introductory message before the scenario started.... orders were not despatched to the group and I ended up posting them from those I saw in the private forum.... even then, there was no discussion about them or even any comments made by the rest of the group.  When I think of the vast number of emails I used to receive in AW, and the detailed plans, worked out to the minute so that we were all coordinated and knew exactly where we were supposed to be and when;  though I appreciate the nature of Midway meant a need for more flexibility.... we really need to address this lack of communication in future scenarios.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2002, 09:05:05 AM »
If you want to see an example of how a good FL communicates the information to his squad, check this link.

http://stvuk.brinkster.net/Midway___2002/index.asp

Dstar had to take over from me as a GL (Yorktown attack officer) and VB3 flight leader with less than 2 weeks notice.

He updated the website each week with the latest frame orders and communications information, the URL was only known to registered squad members.

The information on the website is simply a collation of the necessary information communicated by the command staff, a summary was also emailed to each squad member before each frame.

Regards,

AndyH

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
Re: Squad Level Communication
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2002, 09:28:31 AM »
Originally posted by Ed561

This, I believe, is the AH problem.  In the last scenario (Midway, but any of the last several would qualify), we received exactly 0 emails from our CO/GL/FL and we had exactly 0 practices (that I was aware of).

Ed561

As RAF XO in BoB I received 407 emails related to the scenario, it looks like I sent about 200.

The roster was posted on a web site, and updated constantly.

http://www.ahope.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bob/

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2002, 12:13:58 PM »
I understand the frustration of not recieving orders and information.   Iv flown AH scenarios and I have see the lack of communication myself.

I really did try to improve the information flow and get people involved.  

For the IJN we did have about 14 different practice sessions to allow IJN pilots a chance to work on their skills and get to know each other.   The Dates were both posted here and sent out via Email to Group leaders and staff.  

We also had a Beta Frame to spar and see if any bugs could be brought to light.  Do to the terrain not being ready the week before Frame 1,  This wasnt as well attended as I had hope.  Still I belive it was a first for AH.  

Mission oders where both Emailed to the GLs and Posted on the BBS each Frame.   I recognised the possibility that a GL might fail to get the information out to his flight, so everything was doubled up so a pilot could always look here and find out his role.  

Mission Planning was done both via Email and the BBS, again we tried to make the information and feed back as available as possible.  

Each week of Midway I had about 150 Emails.  Probably only about half of those required a reply.   Replies where also made to questions raised here on the BBS.  

We honestly tried to get the information out as best we could.  Also the information was availble here always, if a person took the time to look.   We used Both mediums because differnt pilots have different preferences.  

With Email there is always the chance your GL will drop the ball.  The only way to prevent this is for the Commander in Chief to Email each pilot individualy with each peice of information.  Even that will not gaurentee it will be read thourghly.

During the planning for week of planning for Frame 3  my father was stricken with heart problems and was admitted into CCU.   This of course ment Email did get backed up, but my staff tried to step up as best as possible.  

What I am try to state here is my staff and myself really put alot of effort in to getting pilots involved and informed.  Its unfortunate it still didnt work out.   I do sympithize with you. not being give the needed info is frustrating.    We did use Email and BBS both.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2002, 12:24:52 PM »
Tilt in regard to the question posted  a few things come to mind

1)  Pilot need to start to realise that the listed time of the Scenario is when we take-off.   too many realise things always get delayed so their is no reason to get there early.

I feel posting Take-off time (frame start) when planning a scenario is a mistake.    Start time should be listed as the time pilots need to arrive by.    To many people show last moment and this means shifting walkons and squads just before start.

2) I think at 30 mins before frame start,  Should be the cut off. after that  Walkons then get peoples slots.   If you cant be there by then you lose your slot.  

3) At 15mins before frame Start should be walkon cut off.  Doors Closed.   Thats it...   This gives 15 mins to sort out last moment squads.

4) If this was posted and emphasised in the rules and was hard line,  people would be there.   I think listing Frame Start as the scenario time just confuses people.

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2002, 01:18:17 PM »
Originally posted by AndyH
If you want to see an example of how a good FL communicates the information to his squad, check this link.

http://stvuk.brinkster.net/Midway___2002/index.asp

Dstar had to take over from me as a GL (Yorktown attack officer) and VB3 flight leader with less than 2 weeks notice.

He updated the website each week with the latest frame orders and communications information, the URL was only known to registered squad members.

The information on the website is simply a collation of the necessary information communicated by the command staff, a summary was also emailed to each squad member before each frame.

Regards,

AndyH

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT !!!

A mistake (well one of many) that i made was depending on GL's and FL's to flow info down to thier pilots...

One of the things I would do different from what I did in Midway would be to figure out how to e-mail every pilot of the USN with info (less Top Secret final plans)...  Eagle and I both were trying to figure out how to get an email list without having to type in each individual address...  Does anyone have a handle on how this can be done using Outlook Express ?

BOOT
USN XO (retired)

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2002, 01:27:07 PM »
What I did was put the Web pages for both sides that had ALL the email address in them into EXCEL.

I then just copied and pasted them into the BCC Section of my CM emails to all pilots.

I SUGGESTED / STRESSED in ALL EMAILS TO ALL Pilots to be there 1 HOUR EARLY. I guess most ignored it.

Regardless how good your GL's are I as CO tend to send that 1 or 2 emails a week to ALL Pilots reminding them about the next frame - to let me and thier GL know if they can not make it and what the plans were.

If a Pilot does not take the time to READ the FORUMS or respond to emails there is very little we can do about it until after the frame or scenario.

It would be nice to track the ATTENDENCE of all pilots so that in future scenario a CO or GL can see and check with those that have a tendency to be no shows.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2002, 01:37:33 PM »
Thanks Mike...

Doh!!!  It never entered my mind to do it in a simple cut and paste to the cc column...  I was trying to figure out how to import the list into Outlook Express to create a group...

Oh well live and learn...

Thanks again

BOOT

Offline Rompa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2002, 01:41:18 PM »
Why try and do some fancy e-mail thing just post orders for eatch squad on there respective BBS!!

That worked fantastic for "Hostile Shores"

With the later scenarios Big Week,Scicily and Midway that system has not been used and the orders have not come throu to many pilots

It is alot more fun to be able to see what the other squads are going to do, as I can get the "hole picthure" for our plans.

If the all members in squad new orders "planes,routes start field" and so on then every member in squad could help out in getting walkons briefed to speed up things at start of frame.