Author Topic: Late frame starts your opinion requested.  (Read 1223 times)

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Late frame starts your opinion requested.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2002, 01:50:12 PM »
One problem with the BB system is NOT ALL The pilots use it.

Out of 350-400 pilots I bet 1/3rd did not belong to the AH BB Forums before the Scenario started. Of those about 1/2 figured out how to register and access thier sides forums.

To me as a CO all that I can do is post the plans ( I think the IJN Did this ) in the Foums and EMAIL All the pilots. If a pilot does not read his email ( Or never gave us a valid one to use ) or register for the forums there is not much more we can do.

Personally I vote for BOTH METHODs to make sure all the bases are covered.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2002, 02:02:31 PM »
Originally posted by Rompa
Why try and do some fancy e-mail thing just post orders for eatch squad on there respective BBS!!
That might have worked then, but the boards have changed since.... we can't even see all the squad forums, never mind post to them!  :)  Also, not every squad has a forum.... plus the fact there may be members of the squad playing on opposing sides, so sending orders for all to see would not be a good idea.

I think one of the best scenarios for being able to contact everyone was Bigweek.... apart from being able to see instantly where you were placed - and being able to see who you would be with.... as it had email links for anyone to post to entire groups.  I do think being able to contact other participants easily is an important contributor to the smooth-running of a scenario.  :)

Actually, for me at least, Bigweek was one of the best as far as group communication went - but then I did have Jordi as a Flight Leader!  :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2002, 02:06:03 PM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Rompa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2002, 02:13:23 PM »
Oh didnt mean to post it in the regulary squads BBS, just in Allied or Axis scenario forum ;)

And to make 1 post for every participating squad (in the scenario)with maps and orders. then that squad could debate there orders in that thread,

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2002, 02:51:28 PM »
Originally posted by Rompa
Oh didnt mean to post it in the regulary squads BBS, just in Allied or Axis scenario forum ;)
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you then.  :)
And to make 1 post for every participating squad (in the scenario)with maps and orders. then that squad could debate there orders in that thread,
Well, that's more or less how they were posted in the IJN forum, although not quite separate posts for each group.  The problem is, very few people actually read the forums, so they would need to be emailed either instead or as well.  Personally, I think both is the best idea for best coverage.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Ed561

• Zinc Member
Forums
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2002, 03:14:19 PM »
As Flossy said, a significant percentage of participants do not access the boards.  Jordi's suggestion of using both boards (generally the folks that use the boards are the most active participants in these events) and well as email for information dissemination is very good and merits further consideration.

I hope that some of the folks above did not think I was directly criticizing them in any way.  I did not intend to state that everyone had the same information underload that I did, just that most did.  For those of you that spend the time and effort keeping your squad members 'in the loop' and informed, THANK YOU!  You are the solution.

If any...and I mean ANY of you send me 100's of emails for one scenario, I will block your domain, your kids' domain, your dog's domain, and your gold fish's domain.  I sort of think that many is too many...information overload, hehe.  My spam filters will prolly block it all anyway.  As a GL and CO in AW, I sometimes received complaints from my squaddies that they were receiving too much email (lots of it was forwarded to group lists) and multiple copies of it.  You need to keep things short, sweet, and to the point.  I think most folks will appreciate that.

Thank you all for reading and thinking

Ed561

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2002, 03:47:31 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy

Actually, for me at least, Bigweek was one of the best as far as group communication went - but then I did have Jordi as a Flight Leader!  :D

Helen,
Bigweek was the worst for me as far as communitcation.  But then Jordi wasnt my flight leader.  

Our bomber group showed up on Frame Day without any orders We just winged it and followed someone elses group.  

Belive I kept seeking the Infromation, but it just wasnt distributed.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2002, 03:54:49 PM »
I dont personaly feel anyone is bashing here :)

I understand the frustration of being without information.

I state again, The IJN did BOTH email and Post.   If the GLs didnt get it, or had it spam filtered out or whatever that was beyond commands ability to effect.   BUT posting them always allowed anyone free access to them.

I know who the FLs the did an extra good job of getting out information and keeping there troops involved.  Those peoples names were forwarded to the Next COs for Niemen :)

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2002, 04:08:06 PM »

cut and paste to the cc column...

As Jordi said, it is best to use the BCC field rather than the To or CC fields. Some peole get a little shirty if you give out their email address to hundreds of people who they do not know.

I use MS Access, which I can then export to MS Outlook or excel. I put each pilot into their squad so sending an email to an entire squad is easy. I can also filter by role, making it easy to send an email to all FLs, or all GLs etc. MS Access can also generate a web page roster.

If your not an expert in databases you can use Excel which is much more user friendly, but be careful when sorting columns.

You could also use the skills of your staff, I bet there are a few bods in the comunity that can process a registration list into excel work sheets, containing lists of pilots by side, role, squad etc.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2002, 04:41:35 PM »
I think Good GL's /SL's make the difference between winning and losing and the diference between fun and no fun..............that must be a given.............

Its impottant that GL/SL's actually understand their responsibilities............. .......the most important being one of communication.............the y are not just the "boss on the day"...

http://www.btinternet.com/~fulltilt/niemen/chain.html

also re start times..............

http://www.btinternet.com/~fulltilt/niemen/dt.html

I hear Grimms suggestion re announcing times to be 30 mins earlier than the actuality..............my experience is that sooner or later folk start "using" the 30 mins by turning up late but expecting to have a 30 min window  (in this case) to get into the frame.
Ludere Vincere