Author Topic: Ever been to Cancun, more specifically Chichen Itza?  (Read 261 times)

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Ever been to Cancun, more specifically Chichen Itza?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2002, 12:13:56 PM »
Vist Senior Frogs too.. Cool place for evening partying. Oh go deep sea fishing too. Its some of the best around..  Two years ago I caugh a 50lbs grouper.

Also, they have a place where you can swim with dolpins too cool as well.

Have fun!

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2002, 12:33:48 PM »
I was in cancun last jan. MaxQ lives and owns a min. golf coarse in Cozumel ( 40 min bus ride south to playa Del Carma and a 30 min ferry ride ) Everything is cheaper in Cozumel and Isla mujerus.
Never pay what anyone askes for negotiate every price .
As far as the ruins go , I here it sucks , long drive and really not much of a sight .
 The snorkeling tour and the 4 wheeler tour are fun .
We stayed at the Coasta Real , ALL INCLUSIVE is the only way to go .
   And if you ever want ANY recreational things , just ask a taxi driver.
One more thing DON"T DRIVE , the Policia will pull tourists over and ask to hold their drivers license for a week , they know you cant board the plane without it but they will offer to take 400 peso's and let you have it back .
Pissing on the side of the road at 3:00 am will cost you 400 peso's , umm  I'm told :)

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2002, 01:05:47 PM »
Originally posted by paintmaw

As far as the ruins go, I here it sucks, long drive and really not much of a sight.
 The snorkeling tour and the 4 wheeler tour are fun .
We stayed at the Coasta Real , ALL INCLUSIVE is the only way to go . And if you ever want ANY recreational things , just ask a taxi driver.
One more thing DON"T DRIVE , the Policia will pull tourists over and ask to hold their drivers license for a week , they know you cant board the plane without it but they will offer to take 400 peso's and let you have it back.

Sorry you had such a negative experience w/ cops and the ruins that you didn't go to.

I drove around the Yucatan for two months in a rental car -- long pony tail, beard, etc. -- only time we were ever stopped was by the (very regular) military checkpoints. Kinda scary the first time, facing down a pimpled youngster pointing a .50 cal at you from behind sandbags, but they just want to know who you are and where you're going.

The all inclusive resorts are nice, but they insulate you from the foreign country you are in, so you don't really get the flavor of the culture. Might as well be in Miami. We found that staying at some the smaller, more local b&b's and hotels we were able to get a better feel for the cuisine and get some pretty good deals, too -- happiness is a palapa on the beach w/ a matrimonial hammock and a good 'squito net.

Oh and by the way, "ANY recreational things" a cabbie may give you may cause you to spend time w/ the Mexcian Federales. Better know the ropes pretty well before trying this.

dh