Author Topic: Jabo Bombing runs.. I suk, need help?  (Read 227 times)

Offline rv6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.aircombatusa.com/AC_Testimonial.htm#James
Jabo Bombing runs.. I suk, need help?
« on: November 27, 2002, 10:07:51 AM »
Much as I hate to post a serious thread,, I just gotta'.  My AH fun-meter bottoms out when I try to bomb anything..  SHEESH!

Anyways, my main interest is in Jabo style, using a P51, P38, P47, or F4U.  I've tried every single technique I could imagine,, and still have no control over impact points.

Closest I came to getting a close impact to target was by doing this:

Come screaming down outta' the Ionosphere at target (say, VH or building),, yank back the stick, point nose up, and go up directly over target like a skyrocket..

When speed finally decays,, let nose fall over backwards (lo-G loop),, retard throttle to idle,, coast straight downhill onto target.. set view to ZOOM,, make small adjustments so pipper is dead on target..

Release bombs, click, click,, when building fills the HUD..

Nose up, full power..

Look in rear-view and see both bombs hit.. ONE IN FRONT OF BUILDING,, ONE IN BACK!! (or to opposite sides, or nearby runway,, or ANYWHERE but on the freakn' TARGET!!!  (whew.. getn worked up here,, sorry)

So,, is the trick to "salvo" both at same time? (how do you setup bomb release to do this?)..

Use "Dive Brakes" (Shift-C)?  Which is another story in itself..  When do them darn things deploy?  I tried it in level flight and saw no speed decrease at all?

Well, anyways,,  I thank thee all for any help from you guys. You clever devils who I see dropping 1000 pounders with pinpoint accuracy,, over n' over again.. (HOW IN HELL DO YOU DO IT?)

RV6 ~

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 10:20:38 AM »
Keep down speed. Best to dump it befor you start your dive then try to lose it through crazy manuevers.
Unload the aicraft befor you drop. that sounds like  your mistake.
Bombs in a nice dive hit right between the gunsight and the cowl..so aim there.
Drop at a reasonable hight. Drop em at 4k or so..they will hit. and your speed is less that early in your dive. certainly drop way before 2k.

I use a typhoon for jabo. it can quicly top off anything that was near missed with its hispanos. And it has very stable handling and very high deck speed for egress. Excellent view out the canopy as well.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 10:23:24 AM »
Wow, you are doing it wrong.  Just start your dive from 10k, about 60 degrees steep, no more than 300mph at the start.  Point directly at your target.  When you are about the right height, pull back a bit so your crosshairs are just past your target, then release the bomb.  Try it a few times offline till you get it right.  The P-47 or the P-51 are the best for practice because they will pull out of the dive easiest.

ra

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 10:32:47 AM »
If its still hard to pull out, use your elevator.

A good gunsight may help as well.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 10:43:34 AM »
The training arena enables a dive bomb site for jabo practice.

DmdMax

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2002, 10:55:13 AM »
ya, what Pongo said, also:

When aiming for hangers, your stick should be neutral when you release.  Otherwise, the pair of bombs won't land at the same point.  

If you're going slow (250 mph), they will land near the cowling, if you're going very fast (500mph), they will land in the dead center of your crosshairs.  So if you always start from the same alt, the lower alt you release, the faster you're going and the closer to the crosshairs the bombs will land.

I tend to put my crosshairs on the far edge of the hanger.  When my dive is very steep, I aim closer to the center.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2002, 11:02:48 AM »
I find that I achieve the most enjoyment out of divebombing by not doing it.  :D

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2002, 11:15:32 AM »
rv6 you can use the practice sight offline too. Bring up the clipboard, go to setup then arena settings. Look on the list for "flight mode flags" and double click on that. You'll see a box of stuff you can check or not to enable/disable. The practice dive bombing and level bombing sights are among them. The practice sight will work if you've loaded bombs in the hangar. It looks like a green crosshair.

Use this to develope a technique. Pick out a small target--like an ack--that you can see well. Keep the sight lined up on your target nice and steady and make note of your speed, dive angle and height. After some test drops turn off the sight and try again using the same parameters. The trick is to be consistent. Make every drop just like the last one and you'll get much better results.

This is how I developed by technique for bombing with the A20. I hardly miss now. Prior to that I was in the same boat as you--couldn't hit jack with any ordnance.

Good luck bro. : )

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2002, 11:55:56 AM »
RV6, invite me for diner, I'll show you all you want to know:D
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline rv6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.aircombatusa.com/AC_Testimonial.htm#James
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 12:41:29 PM »
Ok Fenchy..  Here ya' go.  Fresh caught from New England coastal waters. With garlic sauteed &  rebaked mashed potatoes and delightful Merlot Blanc..

Be careful though, the melted butter will kill ya' quicker than a 20mm in the eye~

Now..  Payup!

How do I bomb the B'Jezuz outta' them Bish?

RV6 ~

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 02:24:24 PM »
Dive bomb.

Works in F4U and F6F anyway, get close to target i like to have 10k clearance, then you have much better chance to tulips the target area and pick a specific target without worrying about AA.
When target selected scrub speed if possible and position for a very steep dive.
70 to 80 degree works well and just unload the wings and position your pipper smack in the middle of your target, it will be destroyed.
The shallower the dive the further down your sight the impact point will be.
Drop before your speed exceeds a safety margin for pullout, and remember if its a live field your attacking high speed as you pull out and egress is dangerous to you, as the AA hits a fast target easier than it does a slow one.
Always altering your flight path continually even by small amounts with fool the AA.
Same with attacking fleets if you can get position to drop and then egress at a speed slow enough to keep altering your flight path you can get in kill and get out again.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2002, 02:54:20 PM »
Darn RV, you got a pic of my dinner  :)

Enjoy Maine's finest...its wicked cheap out here too...if you can locate the Canadian Molson (19% !!), its a GOOD supper!