Author Topic: voice comm ?  (Read 188 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
voice comm ?
« on: July 27, 1999, 06:39:00 PM »
AH gonna implement voice comm, or rely on add-on's?

If you roll your own, it'd be real nice to have two or more channels.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
voice comm ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 1999, 10:10:00 PM »
The AH voice system is based on channels which a given number of people can freely tune to.  We're also looking into some third party development to supplement this system.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
voice comm ?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 1999, 10:20:00 PM »
Roger Wilco is always good, but I'm sure you looked into that right away

Wklink
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield

-blk--

voice comm ?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 1999, 09:47:00 AM »
  Yeah, I'm really curious about this one...

First, assuming that the quality of the comms is as good as RW...

So, there will be a set number of channels for voice?  So, will the map generally be divided into areas, within which players are assumed to be on the correct channel?  I can't imagine having everybody on country channel talking and such...  Or will you leave that up to the playing community to work out a system that makes the voice comms work?

-blk--  <JG5>

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
voice comm ?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 1999, 06:32:00 PM »
 As long as the voice is not in the first release or a priority over any other significant item.
 Not many people can use voice comms due to connection speed limitation. Those who can, have BC and RW and other stuff. Even they may prefer to use the microphone/soundcard for something more usefull, like voice-recognition software (Game Commander).

I watched how long it took RW creators to make their program workable.
 If you can license the technology on good conditions, use it. If not - do not waste the months to reinvent the wheel.
 Make it possible to click on a plane/icon and select "Call 6" or "Help me" from a pop-up menu, make that menu user configurable and send the message via text radio buffer.
 Make it possible to play a sound when certain words apppear in a text buffer.
 But do not waste much time on voice comms.

My $0.02
miko--

Strider

voice comm ?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 1999, 10:16:00 PM »
I prefer voice comms. when I fly with squaddies. It adds a dimension which is extremely helpful when in combat. I am also a proponent of having some kinda discipline when using voice comms. When channels get clogged with useless talk it can be distracting. I realize this is prolly best governed by squad group members. In view of this, general country voice comms would likely get messy. Then a program like RW may not be the best system either. If a system can be devised to accomodate small group usage with enough channels it would be a great enhancement.

Hip

voice comm ?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 1999, 04:29:00 PM »
I have found that the delay in WB vox in combination with the loss of background sound make it useless in combat situations.  Coordinating a lead and wingman during ACM requires a better system.  I have found the vox system in AW to be far superior.  I actually get the 6 calls before I get perforated, which is after all the point.

My two cents, keep the change.