Author Topic: How a WW2 veteran became our friend (and starts playing AH)  (Read 4435 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How a WW2 veteran became our friend (and starts playing AH)
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2002, 02:04:53 AM »
Now how can we not feel guilty if we shot him down ? ;)

to all vets

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2002, 02:28:10 AM »
Stamper tends to do most of his online flying during the day (UK time) when Zeb and I are both at work, so we have not been able to help him in the MA as much as we would like.  I managed to get him into the squad last night which helped a bit - at least we can talk on vox now!  :)  

If anyone is able to help him during the day, it would be greatly appreciated.... main problem at the moment is communication, as he hasn't yet mastered the radio channels.  If you talk to him and he doesn't respond, it's probably because he doesn't yet know how.... also, while he is flying, I think all his concentration goes on that - not yet learnt to read the text at the same time!  :D

He is very determined, though, and I think in time he will do really well.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2002, 02:46:15 AM »
if i see im in MA ill try to provide him with a target for his guns.....and if he is knit ill help him out :)

Im online most of the time during the day (eurotime) so i should be able to find him

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2002, 04:12:04 AM »
What a genuinely nice thing to do for the fella. Well done guys!

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2002, 06:05:41 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10
if i see im in MA ill try to provide him with a target for his guns.....and if he is knit ill help him out :)
He is Bishops.  :)  I think he is going to be away today and tomorrow, but back on Sunday.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2002, 06:10:55 AM »
Flossy...

Have you made him sign up for the BBS so he can get help here?

Offline Zeb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2002, 06:16:56 AM »
I sent him a link to this thread last night as well as some screen shots of me following his Hurri II.  So with a bit of luck it will get him involved on here as well.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2002, 06:18:35 AM »
We did show him the BBS while we were with him last Sunday, but he was eager to get online so never got around to registering.  We were throwing lots of information at him and I think it may have been all a bit much to take in all at once.  I'm sure we'll get him here eventually.  :)  Zeb has posted the URL of this thread to Stamper, so maybe he will register then if he tries to reply!  

Come on Stamper, everyone is waiting to hear from you direct!  Click register at the top of this page and fill in the details - and the password can be anything, it doesn't have to be that awful numeric one you got for your online flying! :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: How a WW2 veteran became our friend (and starts playing AH)
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2002, 06:41:20 AM »
Originally posted by Trip01
[some of this orginally posted to BW]

His operations included the famous firebombing raid over Dresden ...

Trip

Don't you mean infamous ? :rolleyes:

Anyways ... good to have you with us Stamper!  Cheers! :)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2002, 08:02:30 AM »
Just when I think the AH community is going to crap I read this.... and I realise there are many good sorts here still. UK-ers and welcome Stamper.

xBAT

P.S. I'd donate cash in a heartbeat for a Vet.
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2002, 09:40:52 PM »
Originally posted by Grizzly
Hitech, it comes to mind that it may be a good to offer the surviving WW2 vets a free account. I'm sure Tiff and MIA from BigWeek can get you in contact with them. It would be great for HTC's image and these terrific gentlemen would sure grace the skies of AH... might even take the edge off Shane. And I'd bet my last penny that each would find a AH player in their area willing to help get them started.

IN! IN! IN!  I've got extra gear here that I'd be willing to donate.  Hell, I'd even volunteer to put it together and get it running and shipped out.

Might be something we could donate a couple of buck to also (given the right mechanism for doing it legitimately).

Yippee38

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2002, 06:56:18 AM »
Ive a spare MS Force Feedback 2 here if Stamper fancies one :) more than happy to donate it :)
Joc

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2002, 02:37:20 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Come on Stamper, everyone is waiting to hear from you direct!  Click register at the top of this page and fill in the details - and the password can be anything, it doesn't have to be that awful numeric one you got for your online flying! :D

I just spoke to him on the phone and he has certainly read the thread, though I dont think he's registered yet. He's downloading 1.11 at the moment which I hope will fix his occasional CTD problem. I understand that you are planning to go up there again after christmas, in which case you can help him out. I might go up there myself in January if I can.

He's not at all happy about his hair in those photos. Perhaps you can take a stylist with you for the next shoot?

Trip

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org/
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2002, 04:39:51 PM »
Wow what a wonderful story. Definitely brightened my day. I would glady donate hardware to any WWII vet who wants to get in on the AH action.

Btw, you Brits sure dress-up purty at your Con. I think Hitech needs to enforce a dress-code at the next Con.  No more shorts and t-shirts that the Yanks typically wear. :)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2002, 05:12:40 PM »
Great going guys.  We of course would be happy to sponsor accounts for WWII vets who are interested in playing.  If we could get a group of them playing, I'm sure that would make it even more appealing to them.  The real tricky part is finding vets who are as interested in it as Mr. Metcalfe.  I certainly wouldn't want any vet getting needled into playing just because somebody wants him to.