Author Topic: Simpler solution to Suicide Bombers  (Read 272 times)

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
Simpler solution to Suicide Bombers
« on: December 03, 2002, 09:29:20 AM »
For buffs with bombsight position, bombs can only be released from this position.

Bombsight position occupied = immediate auto level. Only rudder works.

I haven't tested it repeatedly it, but I believe bad things will happen to a bomber in a dive when suddenly switching to auto level.

If it turns out that you can jump to bombsight and release bombs quickly before plane stalls or breaks apart, simply add a restriction so that you have to be in bombsight for 1 full second before you can release bombs.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 09:37:01 AM »
Oooohhhhhh, Daddy like.  :D

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 09:38:29 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think you can set the auto-angle in a dive and still drop from the bomb-site position.  Be tough to co-ordinate though.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 09:51:41 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
I could be wrong, but I think you can set the auto-angle in a dive and still drop from the bomb-site position.  Be tough to co-ordinate though.

Disallow this. Jumping to bomsight should instantly set auto-level.

For planes w/o bomsight position, like the A20, don't worry about dive bombing (even if it is unrealistic to drop from a bombay while pointed straight down).

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 11:47:56 AM »
the people who dive bomb with lvl bombers dont even goto the bombsight at all. they fly it just like a typh or p47 or something.

this would have no bearing on the matter.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Re: Simpler solution to Suicide Bombers
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 12:01:55 PM »
Originally posted by Samiam
For buffs with bombsight position, bombs can only be released from this position.

And all of the German bombers that had a design requirement of being able to dive-bomb are immediately porked., as well as eliminating historical usages of smaller Allied bombers like the B-26 for shallow dive bombing.

A better way to handle it would be to implement a function that factors dive angle and G force to produce a function or table that says "If you are diving at this angle, you need to be pulling at least this many G's in order for your bombs to exit the bomb bay", and let the existing aircraft limits separate the pilots from the wannabes. If you can ride a 2.5G pullout in a B-17 to successfully drop your bombs in a dive, and be able to hit something at the same time, then you should get the payoff for your skill.

Of course, watching all the dweebs rip the wings off the Forts and Lancs will add humor to the skies, too...   :)

Of course, if you really want to be nasty, you set it up so that if you drop without meeting the angle/G requirements, the bombs hang up in the bomb bay, but they all arm, and as soon as they bounce around long enough, they go off, destroying your plane. Add a 'failed drop' sound -- a repetitive clanging noise of the bombs bouncing around -- to let them know they're SOL and should bail before they explode. That should inhibit the suicide buff pilots some. You exceed the drop parameters, and you die spectacularly without damaging anything else.

Offline DeaconB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 12:03:46 PM »
JB73,  he said " bombs can only be released from this position", meaning you would HAVE TO go into the bombsight to release.