Author Topic: How many AH players are there in total?  (Read 357 times)

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
How many AH players are there in total?
« on: December 03, 2002, 12:41:18 AM »
Just curious, how many paying subscribers are there?

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 12:49:10 AM »
I doubt HTC will say but judging from the peak players online, I'd guess (conservativly) at 6,000 to 7,000.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2002, 12:57:07 AM by Innominate »

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 12:52:20 AM »
That high? I would think 1.5k-2k at the most.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 12:56:07 AM »
Originally posted by SunKing
That high? I would think 1.5k-2k at the most.

A couple of things to remember though, in AH, most people only play an hour or two a day.  Many don't play every day.  The vast majority of players fall into the category of "casual gamers", who most normally never know exist.

My guess may be too high, I doubt by much.

Also, it takes an amazing amount of work to make any online game fail.  There are many people who pay more than we pay for AH to play text-based muds.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2002, 01:09:33 AM by Innominate »

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 01:03:28 AM »
If you look at the scoring system and you are ranked 4000 in something you've done once (and sucked at), you can assume you're at best tied for 4000th with people who have never done that event, and therefore there are at least 4000 players.  This doesn't take into consideration people with multiple accounts, comped accounts, or inactive accounts that might still be in the scoring system somehow, so that number can't be validated without info we don't (and shouldn't) have.

For example, my only (and last) sortie in tour 34 was one fighter sortie with one assist and a high-altitude ack death at the end of a 12 minute sortie.  This earned me a fighter rank of about 4000 an overall rank of around 4400, indicating that there are at least 4400 active accounts, and at least 400 people somehow had a worse fighter score than my one prematurely-ended attempt.  The actual number can be ANY number above this however, as anyone with the same or worse performance will be tied for the same low score.  For example, since I had no bomber score, I was tied for approximately 2700th, meaning that just over 2700 players out of over 4400 bothered to even start a bomber-scored mission, since launching a bomber mission and getting shot down fairly quickly should give a somewhat higher score than not attempting one at all.

Crystal clear?  Short version for the attention deficit crowd - look at the scores.  There are at least as many accounts as the worst person's rank, and there are probably more because some accounts are completely inactive throughout an entire tour.  How many accounts are paying accounts can't be determined from the scores however.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2002, 01:27:05 AM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 01:08:27 AM »
4k at the minimum would be a rough guess

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 01:46:40 AM »
Yup I always figured from looking at scores it is probably between 4 and 5 k. That's just a guesstimate tho. ;)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 05:20:38 PM »
If you don't fly you're ranked 0. Therefore ranked 4000 or 5000 means there have been at least that many players flying. Inactive but paying players are at 0.
My guess is >5000. So the tournament cash price costs everyone of us 0.01$.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 05:47:52 PM »
The lowest number score Ive seen recently was around 4400 appx.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns