Author Topic: Using lead - Target Disappears Under Nose  (Read 822 times)

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
Using lead - Target Disappears Under Nose
« on: December 01, 2002, 01:46:53 PM »
It's early days for me trying to accurately obtain a kill with an accurate burst - I have a question with regard to applying lead (lead angle, as opposed to lead bullets!).

If, during my attack from the stern sector, I am pulling 'G' in order to keep the bandit in sight (because they are turning), it seems that in order to ensure the shells meet the target, I have to place the bandit under the cowling (out of sight).  this is a nuisance as I have to 'guess' if the bandit is in the correct position.  Needless to say, I am dubious about my technique.

I would like to ask you if you use general principles in your markmanship techniques in order to go for a shot.  For example, do you generally prefer to bide your time until the bandit is more or less in your twelve o'clock?

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 02:12:14 PM »
If you are leading a banking target, then you should be banking too.  Your pip on a banking target should be to the side and slightly up--depending on what gun you're using and how far out con is.  This bank SHOULD NOT be so severe that the con dissapears under nose.  If there's no other way to track, then chances are he's turning too tightly for you to follow.  Just hang on, try to maintain your distance from him and stay on his six.  Chances are another shot will appear.

However, if you are resolved to make these shots I suggest you fly in American planes with .50 cals.  Keep the target directly above your pip, pull harder and as your pip passes through him spray through him.  This is sort of a fart in the wind, you will find, as you lose sight of the bandit during which time he may change direction causing you to lose your position on his six.  One thing I do but so far lack the timing and hand coordination is to snap my nose to a position in the badit's flight path and fire a spear salvo, that is a one second salvo on one line.  This in the hopes that he may fly through my bullets.  After I fire this salvo I recover and try to keep him in my sights.  It works maybe 1/5 times for me and never to any great effect.

I am also a fairly new pilot and I find my biggest downfall is getting too greedy.  I'm so desperate for the kill sometimes that I make absurd shots and get myself into absurd postions that can only get me killed.  Patience is often he key both with gunnery and general attack angles.

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 02:40:43 PM »
Thanks Fancy.

Regarding losing sight of the enemy, one of my problems is the loss of SA when I lose visual with them.  It feels as if they have the 'big picture' about their position relative to mine, while I am floundering, wondering 'Did he reverse? Climb? Dive? or what? '  

Perhaps I need to get some shortcut quick views.  It would be handy if if could have a snap view placing my view directly looking towards the bandit.

About the shots - yeah, I always turn with them, and always seem to end up in turning fights, although I'm starting to experiment with B&Z having read about it.  I need to learn more on when to disengage from the turning fight and turn it to my advantage.

P.S: Only flying with mouse now, can't wait for my Cyborg USB Gold at Xmas

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 02:51:58 PM »
Originally posted by Dr Lecter
  Perhaps I need to get some shortcut quick views.  It would be handy if if could have a snap view placing my view directly looking towards the bandit.

There is, it's called "padlock", but it's not as nice as it sounds.  I thinl it's activated by hitting F11 or F12 (check your key bindings) and you cycle through targets using TAB.  The big problem is that if the NME is not in your front sector and your looking sideways or backwards, it's very hard to judge where the hell your plane is going.  Yes, you need a joystick BADLY.  Preferbaly one with a hat or two on it so that you can map different snap views (the ones obtained using your keypad now) to the hat so that you have more control over where you're looking.

Good luck and I hope you fly Rook or else we might be running into each other :P

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2002, 09:48:14 PM »
If you are flying with a mouse, it's going to be especially hard for you. I really recommend you get a stick!

The account you have described is what is known as a typical "blind lead", and very important when flying planes that are generally poor in maneuverability, against planes that are superior in maneuverability. Since it takes a somewhat more complicated form of 3-dimensional maneuvering to out-manuever a better turning enemy plane in order to get a clear shot, a lot of situations involve the "blind lead".

For instance, when a Bf109 in a superior E-state would decide to follow a turning Spitfire to get a shot in, he could do a lag-pursuit outside the bogey's turning circle and enter a high yo-yo like this:

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2002, 09:49:28 PM »
But he could also follow in a lead pursuit up to the point where he can no longer match the turn rate, and THEN fall outside the turning circle, and enter a high yo-yo like this:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2002, 10:04:59 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2002, 09:58:08 PM »
In the case of the latter, the pilot of the 109 would  not be able to see the Spitfire at the moment he leaves the inside of the Spit's turning circle and enters to the outside.. it would be a momentary blind lead situation, and he'd have to guess the timing where the Spit that entered under his nose would pop out from his left 9~11o'c corner to continue with maneuvering. This takes a lot of anticipation, and experience is required to pull such a maneuver off with confidence.

In many simular situations a lot of blind lead is involved. Typically when you are aiming at a more maneuverable enemy. Because the enemy is not dumb, and will most definately enter a turn to get out of your gun sights, there is rarely a moment you'll get to see the pure 5, 6, 7o'c angles of a plane like the Spitfire. Most of the times you'll see his top side.. and in chase like this you'll rarely ever get a chance to fire at a lead angle where you will see your target. Because poorer turning planes will almost never be in a situation where he would be able to out turn better turners(there are a few special situations where this is possible), the best chance you have is to follow the lead path steady, and at the moment of truth, you pull the plane so it enters blind lead and fire a burst that is longer than snap shots, but shorter than tracking shots.

This also needs a lot of experience and practice, and the "feel" needed for these type of shots vary on one's condition. In a word, unless you have specific advantages where you can see the plane you are aiming at, in a poor maneuvering plane you'll have to deal with blind lead shooting any way you can. In my view it is about 50% luck and 50% skill... and the parts that are not governed by pure luck can be made up by practice, and planes that are suitable for such gunner - such as planes armed with Hispanos cannons or .50 machine guns.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2002, 10:03:23 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2002, 11:34:49 PM »
As usual, nice post Kweassa.  But man, get rid of those jpg artifacts they're smurfy.  Simple images with few colors are better off as gifs anyway.  In fact, gifs of those images you posted above are probably the same size as the jpgs.  Here  is a nice free image manipulating program that rivals Photoshop and is FREE.  It also has scads of options for file-saving and the ability to preview what the saved file will look like before you save.

[/hijack]

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 12:30:27 AM »
You can also raise the gunsight to make it easier to see over the nose of your plane.

Ack-Ack
« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 12:32:44 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 12:54:58 AM »
Shooting "blind" has always worked for me.  I take a look at the con for a couple seconds and see which direction he is turning, and he is gone for a couple more seconds under my nose.

Im still pulling into his direction and i know that he should pop out at any moment and that i should be ready to fire.  I dont have the view mapped where i can see my nose, as i heard it does help with those kind of shots.

Like Fancy stated above flying plane with alot of ammo help, such as with the .50 cals.  There is alot more luck involved then actual skill landing those kind of shots.  Perfect timing and guessing are 2 of the major factors for me.

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2002, 08:55:25 AM »
Time out for to thank all contributers to this thread.  I've got some good things to take away:

To counter a high turning rate, consider a hi yo-yo in a poor manoeuvering ac.

Raise the gunsight.

Consider the shell calibre and weapon fit.

Practice! With this will come the anticipation to blind lead correctly.

I will spend more time practicing against the drones - I just get frustrated online at the moment.  it would be nice if AH could allow us to download a few 'standard' enemy aircraft profiles so we could practice against a manoeuvering enemy (hi yo-yo, low yo-yo, pitchback etc).  Anyway, enough of the wish list - see ya.

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2002, 09:49:06 AM »
if you are shooting 'over the nose' at a target you can't see, you will still see hit sprites if you are making contact.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2002, 03:29:31 PM »
sitting on three phonebooks or two large pillows helps me :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2002, 05:30:41 PM »
Kweassa:

Yes, as always - nice posts and pics :).

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)