Author Topic: The Irish in WW2  (Read 158 times)

Offline Viper17

• Nickel Member
The Irish in WW2
« on: August 18, 2002, 09:01:15 PM »
I was wondering did the Irish particapate in the air battles. I cant find anything on it. Maby in an Irish marked Spitty or Hurri....

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 09:09:27 PM »

Wing Commander Brendan (Paddy) Finucane, DSO, DFC and bar was born in Dublin, Ireland. Finucane joined the RAF in May 1938 and, aged 19, became operational with No 65 Spitfire Squadron in July 1940. In the Battle of Britain he destroyed his first Bf l09 on the 12th of August 1940, getting a second the 13th of August. On the 15th of July 1942 he was killed when hit by anti-aircraft fire on a sweep over the French Coasts and went down into the sea. His score then stood at 32 kills.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 09:40:49 PM »
I think Ireland, as a nation, was neutral.

eskimo

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: The Irish in WW2
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 09:42:48 PM »
Originally posted by Viper17
I was wondering did the Irish particapate in the air battles. I cant find anything on it. Maby in an Irish marked Spitty or Hurri....

Ireland was neutral during WW2.  Northern Ireland, still being a British possession wasn't and fielded units and men for the war.  

might want to check this site and see if you can find anything about what you're looking for.

Air War research site

ack-ack

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 10:04:20 PM »
An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above:
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love:
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2002, 02:03:33 AM »
Yes Eire was officially neutral but certainly had sympathies with the axis, this may have even gone as far as physical support, ie docking facilities. re-fueling etc.

Churchill wanted to re-occupy at one stage and Eire was warned of the consequences of not remaining strictly neutral.

On a positive side (not for those killed obviously) thousands of Irishmen fought and died on the Allied side.

wipass

Offline sidthekid

• Zinc Member
Irish ww2
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2002, 04:05:06 AM »
http://www.wartime-memories.fsnet.co.uk/photos2.html

http://www.airwar-europe.yucom.be/Airwarstart.html

these 2 sites are best info on war in general,First one is about IRish in ww2 with photo's. Second site is most info you will find on ww2 in 1 site. If you can't find there its not around :)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2002, 04:52:28 PM »
lets not forget those irish that fought against the English in the IRA though either. Good and bad in all countries.

Offline 40 shades

• Zinc Member
      • WWWdotAINTgotONEdotCOM
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2002, 05:51:04 PM »
Rep of Ireland was officially neutral during WW2, one reason being that the USA refused to sell Rep of Eire any weapons.
Northern Ireland being part of Britain was not and took part in WW2.

Yes Eire was officially neutral but certainly had sympathies with the axis, this may have even gone as far as physical support, ie docking facilities. re-fueling etc.

Rep of Eire had no sympathies for the Axis and did not provide docking or refuelling for Axis. The Rep of Eire president of the time Eamon deValera like Hitler himself rounded up 500 German spies and IRA German sympathisers imprisoned them .The prisoners went on hunger strike but deValera let them die.
Rep of Eire in contrast sympathised with the allies, provided there airspace for allied planes (mostly coming across Atlantic) in fact there’s a B17 that ditched in the sea a few miles from my home, the crew was saved and returned to there squad.
Any luftwaffe plane entering airspace was presumed hostile and engaged, Closter glads chased ju88s on occasion but ju88 outran them easily. Escaped German recon balloons where shot down in the hundreds by Irish air force hurri’s. German planes bombed Rep Of Eire on several occasions as well.

It’s estimated that 50.000 Irish men volunteered and fought in the British army during WW2.There was unofficial Irish regiments in the British army (Ulster /Munster/leinster/connuaght rifles & Dub something’s) The second highest scoring RAF fighter ace was a Brendon. e. Finucne  (Irish) 32 kills

It must also be noted that the Original IRA that was founded to fight for the independence of Ireland and freedom of Ireland where good men and these men are heroes to me, however when Ireland won its independence in 1922 the IRA turned into a sectarian revenge gang, that’s aim was to hurt innocent people, we do not condone this.

The main point I wanted to get across was that we are allied freedom loving people, not Nazi, IRA sympathiser.

On a lighter note lets sit back relax and enjoy the fruits of victory.
;) ;) ;)

Poet  W, B Yeats
An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above:
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love:
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

this is not me by the way
« Last Edit: December 04, 2002, 06:02:26 PM by 40 shades »

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2002, 01:38:52 AM »
a drunkin lot they are

Last name is Antrim  need I say more:)

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2002, 02:00:30 AM »
Ask the guys in the Shillelagh Squadron, bet they could tell ya... ;)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2002, 04:22:11 AM »
I think most Irish people sympathised with the Allies, but de Valera, the prime minister, seems to have been more pro Axis.

When Hitler killed himself, after many of the concentration camps had been liberated, and the full extent of Nazi crimes was clear, de Valera went to the German embassy to express his sorrow at Hitler's death.

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
The Irish in WW2
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2002, 05:19:21 AM »
Interesting.

But I think most of the Allied Nations would express their sorrow at Hitler's death. They were disappointed that he didn't live to be put on trial with the rest of his elite criminal gang.