Author Topic: Star Wars Episode II on Imax  (Read 386 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Star Wars Episode II on Imax
« on: December 08, 2002, 04:38:05 AM »
Just got back from seeing it.  In a word...different.

It was interesting to see it in an iMax theater, but I wouldn't do it again.  Basically, it was the movie only bigger, and more curvy.

I saw several little things I didn't catch in the theater (like stuff going on in the background), mainly because everything was HUGE, and it was interesting to see how much clarity a digitally filmed movie really has.  The digital sets were incredibly detailed and nice to see all up close and personal.  That's where the interesting ended.

This must have been a new edit, as there were quite a few little scenes cut from the movie.  Just a few - you don't see... Obi Wan go to the archives / Senator Palpatine suggest that Jar Jar Tard call for a vote to give him emergency powers / Anakin ride the grazing animal like a surf board (probably cut this because it was such a horrible interaction between a live person and a digital animal) / not as many scenes where Amidala is stuck in the pot that's about to be filled with molten metal (but there's still at least one awful quick zoom) / more that I don't remember at the moment.

The actors were understandably HUGE when in close-ups.  The action was nearly impossible to follow as it became a big blur in front of you.  And did I mention curvy?  Amidala's ship at the beginning was curvy, light sabres were curvy, Jedis were curvy, your momma's curvey <--just making sure you're paying attention :)).

If you've ever been to a normal Imax movie, you know that they can be really immersive, and things like being first person in an airplane flying over scenery is amazing.  EP2 was nothing like that, and you hardly ever felt any real immersion.  Maybe if they would have kept some of the chase stuff or Anakin riding the motorcycleflyingthingy to the Tuskan's camp in first person it could have been, but with the cuts to thir person it really wasn't.

All in all, just a big screen movie shown on a huge curvy screen.  I don't regret seeing it, but I'm definitely not itching to see it (or anything similar) again.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2002, 04:59:03 AM »
Yes this version is shorter by some 20 minutes because the original movie exceeds the maximum run time of IMAX reels.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2002, 03:07:51 PM »
huh? i saw crouching tiger hidden dragon on imax and it was long

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2002, 03:27:34 PM »
In a word - DORK

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2002, 04:28:48 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
In a word - DORK

Dont mind Creamo, hes a trekkie.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 05:13:46 PM »
In a word - DORK

Heh, so what's your point?

SOB

PS...You play an online computer game and participate in the message board for that online game's community.  Dork.  :D

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2002, 05:20:23 PM »
Captain Kirk could kick Darth Vaders ass, and do a shoulder roll and wipe off blood from the corner of his mouth in the same move you amazinhunk.

PS Gordo doesn't even like you.

Offline K98k

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2002, 06:45:52 PM »
I just finished watching attack of the clones pretty good movie.  Since watching Star Wars I've seen two major screw ups.  

In the first movie the empire could have won by blasting the planet instead of waiting for it to get out of the way of the moon that circles it.  Think about it with out the planet the moon should've spun of into oblivion and the rebels along with it.

The second is during the Attack of the Clones though not sure if this would've stopped the clone wars.  Why did the little Yoda dude keep going for the head shots when battling count dracula.  Should've went for an ankle shot and crippled the son of a gun then wacked his head off.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 06:52:09 PM by K98k »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2002, 06:52:56 PM »
Captain Kirk could kick Darth Vaders ass, and do a shoulder roll and wipe off blood from the corner of his mouth in the same move you amazinhunk.

PS Gordo doesn't even like you.

Captain Kirk, maybe - but Captain donuthead - er - Picard, wouldnt stand a chance.

Besides - if there was a showdown between Stormtroopers and a "Security Away Team" I know who Id put my money on.  Set phasers to stun!!

I find your lack of faith disturbing...  :cool:

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2002, 07:37:59 PM »
hmmm those scenes were in the version i saw sobby. but it was at a digitlal theatre thingy so maybe that's it.

and oh yeah - once captain kirk's shirt gets ripped in that same trinagular patter you know he's pissed. DV would be toast.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2002, 07:40:40 PM by mrfish »

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2002, 10:23:35 AM »
Yeah, Imax is the big dome thingy you find at science museums.  I would have preferred to see it at a digital theater, but I'm waaaay to lazy to drive all the way up to Seattle just for a movie.

SOB

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2002, 11:12:24 AM »
once captain kirk's shirt gets ripped in that same trinagular patter you know he's pissed.

ah.. almost forgot.
that's just before he kicks bellybutton prior to doing the space chick

he got laid more than Bond

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 11:54:10 AM »
I'm listening to Captain Kirk sing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds right now.

SOB

-edit-  It's not fair to keep this toejam to myself.  I must share!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 12:22:46 PM by SOB »