Author Topic: Joystick forces  (Read 221 times)

zath

Joystick forces
« on: July 30, 1999, 02:40:00 PM »
What will the joystick interface be like?  I would love to see realistic stick forces implemented, preventing the stick from moving
stop to stop in 1 second.  Or should we be forced to undergo a strength test, those that can bench 250+ pounds can stick stir  

-blk--

Joystick forces
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 1999, 04:04:00 PM »
  Y'know...I don't see how that could happen.

How on earth would that work with a normal stick?  The "other game" model does a decent job of this I think (the stick physically moves, but not much comes out of it).

Even with force FX, it's not possible.  At least my FF stick has a cutout...so that we don't break the stick off (they're just plastic afterall).  On my Force FX, it's pretty darn wimpy (I'd guess around 10 pounds of pull).  Now, if someone out there knew how  to make your own FF stick, then maybe we'd be able to build one beefy enough to simulate the stick forces that were present in such aircraft.

Although, honestly, in all the Warbirds I've flown (not many at that, and they have all been trainers, but they weren't slouches...especially that T-28!), the stick forces weren't a problem.  For instance, in most of the speed range of the T-28 I really didn't have a problem getting maximum aileron deflection throughout the speed range I tried (not quite to Vne, but close).  I'd venture a guess that they wouldn't be excessive in a P-51 either.  Of course, I know that I tend to pay little attention to the work I've put into flying, so I may have just been enjoying myself to notice that I was pulling so hard...

-blk--  ,JG5>

Offline -ik-

• Copper Member
      • http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffs
Joystick forces
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 1999, 05:31:00 PM »
blk, I don't think you exactly understood. What is unrealistic is to be able to go from maximum up elevator deflection, to max down elevator deflection in a nanosecond. Same thing goes for ailerons. You needed a second or two, especially in a plane like the Bf 109 or even a Spitfire which both had heavy ailerons.

Offline fats

• Copper Member
Joystick forces
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 1999, 10:20:00 PM »
No way. If the controls start to lag behind the stick it's going to be awfully unplesant to fly. Better to have your occasional what-ever than make the game unplayable for everyone.

&fats

-blk--

Joystick forces
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 1999, 09:30:00 PM »
  Anyone know how that "other game" does it?  Honestly, I think that system works well.

-blk--  <JG5>

PS-ik, thanks for settin me straight...