Author Topic: Can anyone elaborate...  (Read 488 times)

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.3-jg2.com
Can anyone elaborate...
« on: December 12, 2002, 01:22:00 PM »
On this:

"Fixed prop feathering on LA5 & LA7."

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 01:23:31 PM »
Originally posted by Heinkel
On this:

"Fixed prop feathering on LA5 & LA7."

probably won't glide as good as it does now... damn thing will go forever at a 1.0 rate of descent.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 01:24:17 PM »
they're supposed to feather in flight instead of stop completely?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 05:16:50 PM »
Moot, props are feathered in flight so that they stop completely.  

I think you're thinking about "windmilling," where an unfeathered, unpowered prop spins like a fan.  

Feathering means turning the blades directly into the wind so that the smallest possible forward surface area is creating drag.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 07:42:21 PM »
To elaborate:

A "windmilling" prop has more drag while spinning in the airstream.

A "feathered" prop has less drag by not spinning in the airstream.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 07:51:21 PM »
At the moment, the la7s properller incorrectly feathers when the engine dies.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 08:19:43 PM »
Pilots, please correct me if I am wrong here...to actually feather a prop, a pilot has to take steps in addition to simply reducing pitch to minumum, right? (I'm not a r/l pilot, so not sure about this..most likely is different from plane to plane at any rate).

Wouldn't this be a neat addition to the game? :)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 03:23:26 AM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
Moot, props are feathered in flight so that they stop completely.

The only place this is always true is in Hollywood.

Propeller pitch and RPM are the same control. Lower rpms means more pitch and vice versa.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 10:21:46 AM »
In the C-130 the plane I fly in for a real job we have what is called a "Condition Lever"...in the event that we need to feather the prop we go..."Condition Lever - Feather" that feathers the prop.  There are other emergency procedures we do but to get that sucker feathered thats what we throw.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Can anyone elaborate...
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 11:32:19 AM »
Propeller pitch and RPM are the same control. Lower rpms means more pitch and vice versa.

That statement might be an oversimplification, but isnt wrong.

While in climb, cruise or while descending, you normally set RPM with the Prop pitch control, and use the throttle to control manifold pressure, the percent of power you want the engine to deliver indicated by inches of mercury of pressure in the intake system.

After takeoff, you will throttle the engine back to climb power normally followed by a reduction in RPM by adjusting the Prop pitch.  When reaching desired altitude, you reduce power to cruise manifold pressure and reduce RPM to your desired cruise RPM with the prop control again.

During takeoff and normally on short final, the pilot will have advanced the prop to maximum RPM witch translate to the flatest blade pitch allowable.

When you feather a prop, you are moving the prop blades 90 degrees to the relative wind, which provides both the least amount of drag and stops the prop, eliminating the drag of forcing the engine to turn.

To feather a prop, normally you have to manually pull the prop control through the low RPM range into the marked "feather" position.   Some aircraft have automatically feathering props.

Single engine aircraft of the 40s did not have feathering props.  Feathering props are found on multi-enging aircraft.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"