Author Topic: Spining spinners! Round and round!  (Read 472 times)

ac

Spining spinners! Round and round!
« on: July 31, 1999, 09:55:00 PM »

Hello all,

AH must have those cool twisty spinning nose spinners on at least 1 (one) 109, or 190. I always thought that was a nice touch to the nose.

If there are indeed no spinning spinners. Or  nothing slightly resembling them. I will be forced to quit AH!

(From the side)
 "Ahhh...AH isnt out yet..."

Oh well then..when it gets out I will play it a bit, then....then I will quit! And I will not come back till its fixed!!! Or....until the next day comes around.....but then thats it!!! Then I'll quit again!! AND I WILL KEEP QUITTING UNTIL I GET MY NOSE SPINNING!!!

...Ok...now what did I do with that flame suit...I swear it was right here........uh oh....

----ac

Hat Trick

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 1999, 04:51:00 PM »
Hmmmmm..... Well...

I have some information for you.  EPU's or "Emergency Power Units" are very important for acft engine restarts and control of flight surfaces during engine out situations.

Although the LW or RAF or US Army Air Corp didnt utilize Hydrozine for its EPU's instead it utilized lil bitty spinners to power up backup batterys and generators.

In the brewster bufallo/ Hurr I / and all 109 variants...the lil propellar thingy was actually worn on top of a little beanie on the pilots head...he would simply slide back the canopy at low speed in case of emergencys.

But do to some fashion problems...it was later moved to the nose of intake area of most acft.

Alot of bombs also had the lil propelar thingys ( and the BZU line of fuzes in todays USAF Bombs still do) in order to "ARM" the fuze for the bomb.

Just a lil knowledge to help you on your quest for the definitive details of this upcoming game.

------------------
Hat Trick
-htrk-
War Birds Beta Tester
Confirmed Kill Beta Tester
Air Warrior one month and hated it!
Aces Hi Wannabe Tester
HiTech Devotee

ac

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 1999, 08:01:00 PM »

Uh...well in my haste to write a silly thing. I left out what I really meant.

The Painted nose cones of the LW aircraft...or at least some had this swirly design that when the prop was going round and round, the design would spin and would have this neato spinning effect. I'll look for a pic of what I mean...

----ac

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 1999, 12:52:00 PM »
As Airplane mechanic I can tell you this above idle you pretty much get just a blurr. The Airliners I now work on have them on the turbine engines to keep out birds once up to speed they dont show much. The plane I worked on in the Army had these and it blurred out also. They do look good at low rpms though.

panda

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 1999, 02:52:00 AM »
"to keep out birds"!?
how does that work?
if the turbine is going at all I wouldn't have thought even deaf birds would be keen on nesting there...

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 1999, 02:59:00 AM »
Yes, Yes..we want "Spiralschnauzen"!

Sascha

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 1999, 09:38:00 AM »
It is supposed to keep them from flying in front of the engine. It must work becuase when they started it the bird stikes went down. Hit some on take off but birds cant out fly jets.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon

http://www.geocities.com/~tltoon

oooo 111th Fighter Group

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 1999, 11:09:00 AM »
If I remember correctly, some airline painted two "eyes" on turbine spinners to make it look like a VERY large bird. I'm not sure how the "little" birds were supposed to see this but I heard it was successful.
     I guess they think it's a 500 lb. hawk doing a barrel roll.  Who knows...

------------------
Otto CO 111th Fighter Group        ziggy2@home.com          
111th Fighter Group     www.cris.com/~ziggy2/      

Ozymandias_KoK

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 1999, 01:59:00 PM »
Oz for one, would like to know just precisely what in the H$%# is wrong with having a beanie with a propellor on it?  Watch who you mock son, there are Dweebs everywhere!

------------------
TKoKFKA-OZDS-